Corey Davis - Expectations after his return

titans0021

I feel like we (and by we, I mainly mean I) have fallen back into the habit of posting primarily in the longer, general threads rather than creating new threads for individual discussions. So over the next week, I'll probably try to add some more threads rather than just bouncing from one GDT to the next throughout the season.

So, obvious question, assuming he's back after the bye, what do you expect from Corey Davis over the second half of the season?

We finally saw Decker play a meaningful role last night, Delanie is Delanie, Matthews continues to be an excellent third-down option and hopefully Taylor will build towards more of a role than just a gadget player. So while the passing game hasn't been as good as every one hopes, there's certainly a lot of players getting involved in the offense.

Does Davis work his way into a No. 1 role for the stretch run? Or at this point is he more likely to kind of just play a No. 3/4 role behind or between Matthews, Walker and Decker?

Mainly asking because I have absolutely no idea what his role will be.

This can obviously also serve as a thread to discuss Davis' potential return and any news about him practicing or getting closer to being back on the field.

Once Corey Davis gets back into his rhythm, I'm expecting him to be the weapon we drafted him to be.  A weapon of consistency and high production freeing up the other WRs and Delanie.  I expect big catches, big plays and a dynamic change in the offense because of him.  With that being said, the offense will be almost impossible to stop with the running game, and new toys for Mariota.  MM8 will start having a field-day practically doing whatever he wants against defenses.  He'll start putting up video game type stats down the stretch, with Davis, Delanie, Decker, Matthews, Taywan and Jonnu in the mix.   The offense will carry this team once at full strength until the defense improves it's flaws.  But that's just me.

I think as he gets more comfortable with Mariota and the offense, he'll gradually begin to take snaps away from Decker. I don't know if he'll put up big stats this year but his YAC ability will be huge in this offense.

We saw a glimpse of it in week 1, but I've always felt Davis is a dynamic WR in the league. He was my draft crush and, although some think he was overdrafted or we should've gone with defense at 5, I was thrilled to get him. He is going to be a very valuable player for us in his career.

I don't expect him to do anything spectacular for the remainder of the season. I think he can take over some of Decker's snaps and targets, but won't be able to replace either Delanie or Matthews as one of Marcus' go-to guys. I'd be pleased if he comes back and stays healthy for what's left of this year and gets a glimpse of what it's like playing into this league, develop some relationship with Marcus and build from there for next year.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, deeluxx3 said:

That one big sideline grab he had is just a hint and what's to come. Once he becomes an animal, a true grown @$$ man, he's going to be a legit #1

That and the catch against the Raiders game give me a ton of hope. He has strong hands and ridiculous body control. I'm hoping he can get into a rhythm with Marcus down the stretch and it doesn't take a full offseason for those two to get on the same page and for Davis to get unleashed. 

10 minutes ago, titansNvolsR#1 said:

Any news on how his hamstring is feeling after Sunday?

Sounds like there weren't any setbacks. He played 75% of the offensive snaps, so that's probably a good sign.

I think he probably could have been rushed back for the Browns game, but they learned their lesson after he reaggravated it and gave him the extra three weeks to get healthy (like they should have done with Murray). Hopefully we don't hear anything about it the rest of the year.

Archived