Corey Davis - Expectations after his return

titans0021

Everyone else might have realized this except me, but whatever.

Had an epiphany last night around expectations of Davis in this offense after I was talking to my Packer fan roommate. I was saying how I had read a tweet that made a good point about how Davis will always be a PIECE of this offense and not THE focal point (we aren't going to feed him 12-15 targets a game). I asked rhetorically if that was for the best.

He told me that he needs to be a piece because Marcus is THE focal point of our O (duh). Kind of like Rodgers is for GB and Jordy Nelson is an important PIECE, but they also rely on Cobb, Adams, a TE, etc to make that O go. Maybe that's why Nelson isn't talked about in a similar was as Julio, Green, AB, OBJ, but he's certainly a big time WR and a big time piece of that O. But guys like Julio are just a different type of #1 receiver..if that makes ANY sense?

So I'm, in a way, hoping and expecting Davis to be closer to a Nelson-type contributor (numbers aside, talking more about role in passing O) rather than a Dez/Julio. or am I still drunk?

34 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

Everyone else might have realized this except me, but whatever.

Had an epiphany last night around expectations of Davis in this offense after I was talking to my Packer fan roommate. I was saying how I had read a tweet that made a good point about how Davis will always be a PIECE of this offense and not THE focal point (we aren't going to feed him 12-15 targets a game). I asked rhetorically if that was for the best.

He told me that he needs to be a piece because Marcus is THE focal point of our O (duh). Kind of like Rodgers is for GB and Jordy Nelson is an important PIECE, but they also rely on Cobb, Adams, a TE, etc to make that O go. Maybe that's why Nelson isn't talked about in a similar was as Julio, Green, AB, OBJ, but he's certainly a big time WR and a big time piece of that O. But guys like Julio are just a different type of #1 receiver..if that makes ANY sense?

So I'm, in a way, hoping and expecting Davis to be closer to a Nelson-type contributor (numbers aside, talking more about role in passing O) rather than a Dez/Julio. or am I still drunk?

I think this all depends on Davis' ability. Nelson is a great WR, but I don't think he can be a Julio or AJ Green type player. If Davis has that ability, than I see no reason to not feed him a bunch of targets and make him maybe not THE focal point, but maybe the 1B to Marcus' 1A of the offense. I don't think we will know if Davis is more of a Nelson type or an AJ type until he sees some consistent game action, but if he has focal point ability, we would be silly not to use it.

As long he can dominate the man in front of him, me don’t care if he’s not on Julio, AB, or OBJ LeVel stat wise. 

We really need another HC & OC to see Marcus be the focal point of the offense because rite now it’s a run 1st team behind a finesse inside OL & worn down DeMarco Murray ???

2 hours ago, deeluxx3 said:

^^i think our expectations as fans should be managed a bit, though. In this offense, there is never going to be a focal point player at WR a la giving a guy 15 targets a game 

Yeah, I am not expecting him to be a Julio/AJ Green type. I am fully expecting more Jordy Nelson out of him than anything else in reference to what you had talked about, and if that is what we get, he will be the best WR we've had so I would love that.

Greg Cosell was talking about Davis Wednesday and he brought up a good point. He said this Titans offense isn’t built around a single player which is good and bad depending how you look at it. So it is tough to say what you will get out of Davis on a given week. I guess it’s good to not force feed someone the ball but i do hope Davis gets more involved as we go 

Archived