Cardinals sign CB Malcolm Butler (1 year deal)

RaidersAreOne

1 minute ago, Forge said:

But seriously....pretty meh / whatever. Probably worth a shot though 

I mean, probably better than an unmotivated/suspended Patty P has been the past couple seasons for us. If he can match or outplay an aging Peterson that's been trying to force his way out for years, than our secondary will be better than last year. And Peterson has been PRETTY BAD since returning from his PED suspension in 2019. 

Call me a weirdo, but I think that it's entirely reasonable to expect Butler/Alford/Murphy to outplay Patty P/Kirkpatrick/Murphy at CB. PFF backs it up, but so does the film.

The corners were not good in 2020, but Joseph did a masterful job of protecting them with exotic formations, blitzes, and lots of safety help. Overall, it resulted in an above-average defense and one of the very best Ds in the league in the red zone. 

3 minutes ago, HoboRocket said:

The corners were not good in 2020, but Joseph did a masterful job of protecting them with exotic formations, blitzes, and lots of safety help. Overall, it resulted in an above-average defense and one of the very best Ds in the league in the red zone. 

Going to see more of Simmons too? Always seems like Cards are slow to use their rookies. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HoboRocket said:

I mean, probably better than an unmotivated/suspended Patty P has been the past couple seasons for us. If he can match or outplay an aging Peterson that's been trying to force his way out for years, than our secondary will be better than last year. And Peterson has been PRETTY BAD since returning from his PED suspension in 2019. 

Call me a weirdo, but I think that it's entirely reasonable to expect Butler/Alford/Murphy to outplay Patty P/Kirkpatrick/Murphy at CB. PFF backs it up, but so does the film.

Biggest reason why this group can outplay that one though would be Watt and Jones rushing the passer vs Reddick and Golden. The dip in talent in the secondary isn’t massive, if there’s any at all. But the upgrade with the pass rush should help this secondary immensely 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

Going to see more of Simmons too? Always seems like Cards are slow to use their rookies. 

In fairness, he got some "welcome to the NFL" to start off. Think he was much better in the back half of the season. I'd expect him to play a big role this year. Took him a minute to adjust