Cardinals sign CB Malcolm Butler (1 year deal)

RaidersAreOne

1 hour ago, Yin-Yang said:

Going to see more of Simmons too? Always seems like Cards are slow to use their rookies. 

Yeah, it's likely. He's probably the primary reason why we haven't made any move to re-sign DeVondre Campbell yet. Like @Forge mentioned, Simmons had a large role in week 1, but it seemed like he gave up a big play every single time he was targeted. He did get better as the year progresses. Athletic freak and one of our more-reliabke tacklers. I imagine Joseph might rely on him heavily in our 0-6 sets. 

Losing Reddick hurt, but we still have some versatility in Simmons, Kennard, and Gardeck. Those three, with Golden and Jones in the 0-6 sets should still be really strong. Or 1-5 sets with Watt manning one of the A-gaps and Hicks or Simmons in the other. 

2 hours ago, LuckyNumber11 said:

Biggest reason why this group can outplay that one though would be Watt and Jones rushing the passer vs Reddick and Golden. The dip in talent in the secondary isn’t massive, if there’s any at all. But the upgrade with the pass rush should help this secondary immensely 

The pass rush was pretty good tho

But the titans pass rush sucked. And Butler was better than every CB on AZ last year so going from theirs to AZ's should help. 

Edited by 11sanchez11

48 minutes ago, 11sanchez11 said:

The pass rush was pretty good tho

But the titans pass rush sucked. And Butler was better than every CB on AZ last year so going from theirs to AZ's should help. 

Yeah, I'm thinking the same thing. And the pass rush was good, but we were going to have trouble having all of our pass rushers on the field when we had Reddick. With him gone, we still have a good four-deep group at EDGE, plus Watt generating pressure on the inside. And then with Zach Allen and Jordan Phillips returning to health, they should improve over last season. 

I'm thinking, just comparing apples to apples from 2021 to 2020's defense:

SOLB: Chandler Jones > Haason Reddick

WOLB: Markus Golden ~ Markus Golden

LDE: JJ Watt > Injured Jordan Phillips

DT: Healthy Jordan Phillips ~ Corey Peters? Definitely better in the pass rush, definitely worse in Run D.

RDE: Healthy Zach Allen > Injured Zach Allen

ILB1: Jordan Hicks ~ Jordan Hicks

ILB2: Isaiah Simmons ~ DeVondre Campbell, but Simmons has more upside

CB1: Malcolm Butler > Patrick Peterson

CB2: Robert Alford > Dre Kirkpatrick

NB: Byron Murphy ~ Byron Murphy

FS: Healthy Jalen Thompson > Chris Banjo

SS: Budda Baker ~ Budda Baker

I'm seeing a decent level of improvement at 5 spots on D (SOLB, LDE, RDE, CB1, and FS). I see likely improvement at CB2, ILB2. I think there's still a chance that we improve at DT, but that's really the one spot that I think we regress in. The rest of the positions are par-for-the-course, but for the most part, those positions are positions of strength for our defense (SS, nickel, OLB). 

54 minutes ago, HoboRocket said:

Yeah, I'm thinking the same thing. And the pass rush was good, but we were going to have trouble having all of our pass rushers on the field when we had Reddick. With him gone, we still have a good four-deep group at EDGE, plus Watt generating pressure on the inside. And then with Zach Allen and Jordan Phillips returning to health, they should improve over last season. 

I'm thinking, just comparing apples to apples from 2021 to 2020's defense:

SOLB: Chandler Jones > Haason Reddick

WOLB: Markus Golden ~ Markus Golden

LDE: JJ Watt > Injured Jordan Phillips

DT: Healthy Jordan Phillips ~ Corey Peters? Definitely better in the pass rush, definitely worse in Run D.

RDE: Healthy Zach Allen > Injured Zach Allen

ILB1: Jordan Hicks ~ Jordan Hicks

ILB2: Isaiah Simmons ~ DeVondre Campbell, but Simmons has more upside

CB1: Malcolm Butler > Patrick Peterson

CB2: Robert Alford > Dre Kirkpatrick

NB: Byron Murphy ~ Byron Murphy

FS: Healthy Jalen Thompson > Chris Banjo

SS: Budda Baker ~ Budda Baker

I'm seeing a decent level of improvement at 5 spots on D (SOLB, LDE, RDE, CB1, and FS). I see likely improvement at CB2, ILB2. I think there's still a chance that we improve at DT, but that's really the one spot that I think we regress in. The rest of the positions are par-for-the-course, but for the most part, those positions are positions of strength for our defense (SS, nickel, OLB). 

Robert Alford is damaged goods.  They will draft a corner before R3.

Simmons and Thompson “popping” are where this defense could take a significant leap. 

1 hour ago, Landog3 said:

lbh he is an very average corner who made a huge play in the super bowl and made some money from it

revisionism. He was a legit pro bowl-caliber CB the following two seasons. His play fell off in 2017 and he never really returned to that level afterwards.