Bills sign RB Matt Breida

Trentwannabe

1 hour ago, soflbillsfan said:

Ugh was hoping for etienne or harris but I guess they have other things at mind with pick 30 I hope it isnt much 

Yeah i dont think this stops us. Beane is known for signing adequate starting free agents to fill his holes and truly select BPA with his selections. He did the same thing last year. He signed Mario Addison but still drafted AJ Epenesa. This year he has signed a DE, RB, WR, TE, resigned a CB, RT, LB, and a RG... and id be willing to bet we use our 1st round selection on one of those positions. Adding a free agents necessarily doesnt take us out of a running for a player in draft cause he will take the best player on his board... 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

Mccoy was then cut later in the offseason of that year. So if they did draft etienne or harris then Singletary would be likely moved. 

16 hours ago, Kmart128 said:

Yeah i dont think this stops us. Beane is known for signing adequate starting free agents to fill his holes and truly select BPA with his selections. He did the same thing last year. He signed Mario Addison but still drafted AJ Epenesa. This year he has signed a DE, RB, WR, TE, resigned a CB, RT, LB, and a RG... and id be willing to bet we use our 1st round selection on one of those positions. Adding a free agents necessarily doesnt take us out of a running for a player in draft cause he will take the best player on his board... 

Addison was to fill in for Shaq Lawson's departure and Epenesa was suppose to fill in and likely force the team to cut Murphy on the Left End but with covid having a limited time in camp and not fully prepared for the season I assume Beane didnt want to let Murphy go in case Epenesa wasnt ready. I dont see Mario and AJ signing as a similar situation to us drafting 2 RBs in the 3rd and then bringing in an additional rb that puts us right now with those 3 plus Antonio Williams, Taiwan Jones, and Wade. Ideally Wade and Williams will be psqaud or cut but the bills always carried 3 last year putting Yeldon as a healthy scratch each week. All those positions you listed still are not answers long term so it wouldnt surprise me. You have Mario/Jerry at 32/33 y/o with them both being on their last year's of their deal since Mario restructure involved an out next year so no true long term answer at pass rush. You have Levi on a 1 year deal, with Dane Jackson while showed promise is still a 7th rd pick which wouldnt be a lock for the next 3 years. Feliciano is on a 3 year deal however the way it is structured it is a 1 year deal if they choose to. CB or DE will likely be the 30th pick in the draft at this point.

Edited by soflbillsfan

I really, really wanted Breida last year, but he didn't do much in Miami and was outperformed by other backs. Still, I'm more than content to give him a 1 year contract on the cheap. The backfield is sorely missing an RB with game breaking speed. 

16 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

Meh, we had an aging backfield that year. It was obvious McCoy was on the outs. I'm not sure the same can be said for Singletary and Moss. I think Breida provides something unique that this backfield sorely lacks, and we run by committee again. What I believe would be more useful is finding a nasty SOB at guard to play with Dawkins/Morse/Feliciano/Williams. I'd be more than willing to spend an early round pick on that type of player if he's available, though an every down back is pretty damn enticing if we can trade Singletary. 

Edited by WizeGuy

30 minutes ago, WizeGuy said:

Meh, we had an aging backfield that year. It was obvious McCoy was on the outs. I'm not sure the same can be said for Singletary and Moss. I think Breida provides something unique that this backfield sorely lacks, and we run by committee again. What I believe would be more useful is finding a nasty SOB at guard to play with Dawkins/Morse/Feliciano/Williams. I'd be more than willing to spend an early round pick on that type of player if he's available, though an every down back is pretty damn enticing if we can trade Singletary. 

My only issue with a RB committee is we only have 3 guys active and Jones is the special teams guy. So it’s really 1A and 1B. Is Breida going to unseat either Moss or Singletary? Or start contributing on all special teams like Jones? 

I have doubt Harris or Etienne would be 1A if they’re drafted but this is why I’m against drafting a mid round back this season. 

I agree about Guard. I think it’s a more pressing need than RB. But it’s Feliciano I want to sit as I truly believe Ford is a difference maker at Guard once he can finally settle in there. 

1 hour ago, Trentwannabe said:

My only issue with a RB committee is we only have 3 guys active and Jones is the special teams guy. So it’s really 1A and 1B. Is Breida going to unseat either Moss or Singletary? Or start contributing on all special teams like Jones? 

I have doubt Harris or Etienne would be 1A if they’re drafted but this is why I’m against drafting a mid round back this season. 

I agree about Guard. I think it’s a more pressing need than RB. But it’s Feliciano I want to sit as I truly believe Ford is a difference maker at Guard once he can finally settle in there. 

Breida's upside is speed, cons are durability and fumble issues. He is the home run type player that can be the game changer they need at rb.

Moss is injury prone as well based on college and last year, could be coincidental but likely a pattern, neither him nor singletary have that breakaway speed the bills need. I am a fan of singletary as he has that elusiveness when he is one on one but I think a huge issue with what we had last year with the oline is he is slow off the line and then when he goes to hit the hole it is already closed up and he is to small to run guys over. He can break free but when he is getting surrounded he is just hitting a wall. He doesnt have the speed to go outside either as the LBs are already there. His positives are elusiveness and can catch the ball out of the backfield. 

The reason why i think Harris is the overall RB we need. Lets first start with the cons, he lacks initial speed once the ball is handed off to him. He is not going to be the guy who is going to break one because of his speed on the initial hand off. While this is the same issue as what Singletary has Harris however has the awareness and patience to hit a hole if needed. If he does not he has the overall big frame of 6'2 230 to run over defenders. Once in the open field or on end arounds his long legs allow him to get a quicker stride in, in which he can pick up speed in which Singletary is not at 5'7. Not only is Harris big framed to lower the pads and run guys over he has a mean stiff arm. Harris has the ability to not only run the ball but pass protect in the backfield to help allen. He also has amazing hands to be the pass catcher they need if Allen needs to check down. 

Etienne while a solid upgrade to our RB corps I would prefer Najee. However he has the break away speed that Harris does not have. His vision and elusiveness looks to be much better then Singletary's based off of his college play. He has the ability to be a game changer the issue I have with him is his inability to pass block in which we throw often and having him back there may be a liability.

As for a Guard, while I thought this would have been a foregone conclusion with Feliciano hitting the market I no longer see this as a must at 30. Ford Morse and Feliciano played a whopping 1 qtr of play the entire 2020 season as Feliciano was injured prior to the season. Then when he came back Morse went down with a concussion in the 1st qtr The next game Ford went down with season ending injury. If they are confident in Ford being their LG I do not see the purpose of going Guard at pick 30 especially with them keeping Ike and that they will likely be looking at a guy with similar talent in round 2 or 3.