Leonard Fournette Re-signs with Tampa

JiffyJag

He had an amazing playoffs - but honestly, Ronald Jones is the better runner.   Fournette's ability to pass catch is OK, but there were games where the limitations hurt them given how much the RB acts as TB12's outlet (Chicago & LAR L's in particular the RB pass catching hurt them).    He made key catches in the NO & GB game to keep drives alive, but it was a sweat to watch him.

I totally get why Tampa did this, known quantity, great playoffs etc.    But TBH if there's one weakness in their O, that was it - not that Fournette is a minus there, but he's not much of a plus.   That's also why he didn't get paid a lot, I get it - but it wouldn't surprise me if this (along with the bugaboo of bad injury timing) are Tampa's downfall in 2021.   I have no reason to think they won't be successful in 2021 overall, but the margin between SB contender and SB champ is so thin, these are the kind of decisions that sometimes are the difference.  I say all the above as a guy who backed Tampa hard from the beginning of the playoffs to the end, so I have nothing but love & respect for what they did.  If they hadn't won the SB, though - upgrading pass catching RB would have been a target area.     Will be interesting to follow.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BucsDraftGeek47 said:

Pop Tv Thank You GIF by Schitt's Creek

didnt see this one coming

guess we wont be going Travis Etienne in round 1 anymore

Would still be a decent move imo. Both Jones and Fournette are basically on year 1 deals and I think Etienne is more talented than both.

Call me crazy but I think it's possible this is a depth an insurance signing and the guy at RB is not even on the roster right now.

2 minutes ago, Blackstar12 said:

Are the Bucs still looking to trade OJ Howard? That offense just isn’t fair 

Doubt it now, since he's coming off the season ending injury and in the last year of his rookie deal. We wouldn't get his true value back.

He could be a mid season trade candidate, but I think if he shows well., we could actually look to extend him.

Just now, SBLIII said:

Would still be a decent move imo. Both Jones and Fournette are basically on year 1 deals and I think Etienne is more talented than both.

Call me crazy but I think it's possible this is a depth an insurance signing and the guy at RB is not even on the roster right now.

no way

you can only invest so much at RB imo

would be bad business to still draft a RB , at least in the 1st anyway

theres always guys you can get later , this year, or next that will be effective

Just now, BucsDraftGeek47 said:

no way

you can only invest so much at RB imo

would be bad business to still draft a RB , at least in the 1st anyway

theres always guys you can get later , this year, or next that will be effective

It wouldn't be my move but I could see it. There is no longterm option at RB on the roster. If you think Etienne becomes a monster, it could be understandable imo.

If I'm the Bucs I would go for an edge rusher in round 1, then corner, then OL, then pass catching RB.

6 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Bucs v Bills Super Bowl. Gut feeling, both were great teams that fortifying with some game-changing pieces.

Assuming no critical injuries, I'm liking this - assuming KC doesn't suddenly find two OTs.

The 9ers are having a great FA too. If our key players are healthy, the Bucs may have to get through the 9ers first. Shrug.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

The 9ers are having a great FA too. If our key players are healthy, the Bucs may have to get through the 9ers first. Shrug.

*Shrug*

I just... I have very little faith in Jimmy Garropolo in a regular game, let alone against Tom Brady in a playoff game. And while I LOVE DeMeco Ryans, I have to see him fully replace Robert Saleh as a coordinator before I say that's a mitigates loss. Then, there's the warzone that is the NFCW - perhaps the most brutal division in football.

I agree the 49ers are better than the sum of their parts, and those parts are pretty good on their own - but I don't really know if I can say they're a contender to a TB team that only started to get going late in the season and is running that squad back.

Now, if San Francisco can get an un-suspended Deshaun Watson... we've got a different story on our hands.

13 minutes ago, SBLIII said:

It wouldn't be my move but I could see it. There is no longterm option at RB on the roster. If you think Etienne becomes a monster, it could be understandable imo.

If I'm the Bucs I would go for an edge rusher in round 1, then corner, then OL, then pass catching RB.

I don't think we'll see RB in the 1st round for Bucs, but still expect us to take one at some point in this draft. As you alluded to, RoJo and LF are both on their last year of the deal and I don't see us committing a long-term deal to either. We still have 3rd rounder Vaughn who the staff is high on, despite his rocky (albeit limited) rookie showing.

With guys like JPP, Suh, Jensen and Cappa all going into the last year of their deals, or have high cap numbers making them cut candidates in 2022, I think you're going tos ee us focus on the trenches (OL and DL/Edge) early in this draft.  

12 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

My team is having a great FA too. If our key players are healthy, last year's SB champs may have to get through my team first. Shrug.

Said every single NFL fan every single year.

Imo Ronald Jones is really Underrated, especially if they can keep the same system going with these two.

Edited by UncleAdamz
  • Like 3