Dolphins trade 3rd overall pick to SF

JiffyJag

6 hours ago, Forge said:

šŸ˜‚

The Dolphins are violating everything they should have learned from thatĀ Tunsil pick. Every other team got scared. The Dolphins patiently waited, and it led to maximized value. Then years later the Texans got desperate for a specific position and wildly overpaid. Miami took advantage again.

But this time the Dolphins did not patiently wait. With a prized #3 pick smack in the middle of the franchise quarterback desperation zone, and with 3-4 quarterbacks potentially coveted for that spot depending on the team, Grier brainstormed to back out a month early. Then within minutes Grier panicked for positional need, forcing his way back up to #6.

Consequently the net return is pathetic. And it's supposed to be pathetic when you don't understand value and get stuck on one position. Miami would have been far better off if there weren't so many highly rated receivers orĀ Pitts projected to go that high. In a muddled draft Grier would have sat back and evaluated the totality, how those other teams might view the landscape, instead of a ridiculous hop scotch desperation to fiddle back to #6 or thereabouts.Ā 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Blue said:

lol

Imagine complaining that your team picked up a first round pick and more to move back three spots.

I feel like they are seriously going to get one of the two guys they were going to draft at 3 anyway. It had to be chase or pitts, right? They don't move down and back up if it was sewell. Either pick 4 or 5 will be Sewell so that only leaves one other

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Blue said:

lol

Imagine complaining that your team picked up a first round pick and more to move back three spots.

Ā 

7 minutes ago, Forge said:

I feel like they are seriously going to get one of the two guys they were going to draft at 3 anyway. It had to be chase or pitts, right? They don't move down and back up if it was sewell. Either pick 4 or 5 will be Sewell so that only leaves one other

They could easily end up with the guy they wanted in the first place, and pocketed a 1st and a 3rd in the process.Ā  Ā  Ā 

I'm not seeing the problem on MIA's end.Ā  Ā It's very likely IMO that the 2 deals were orchestrated at the same time, not as a reaction.Ā  Ā SMH.

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

It is based exactly on that why I can't believe they will pick Jones. It's whichever one is left out of Wilson and Fields. Possibly Lance. Mac is still getting 2nd round mocks (he won't be 2nd round)

If there has been some kind of leak, it's a disinformation tactic. Gotta be.

My new running theory is that we leaked that we loved Jones while in the midst of negotiating with the dolphins. "we can stay at 12 and take Jones, we don't need to go up to #3"

Then, after we make the trade after leaking our Mac Jones love, these media mouthpieces are like "well, we just heard they love Jones, they must be trading up for Jones"Ā 

So its not that we are smokescreening the #3 pick when 1/2 are locked in, it's that these idiots in the media can't figure out they are talking about yesterday's horse raceĀ 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, squire12 said:

So SF won't likely be picking this high again due to the roster talent and the hope that Jimmy G can stay healthy for a full season (as you noted 4 injuries in 35 starts)....yet the reason SF is making this move up is because Jimmy G can't stay healthy.

You aren't factoring in other injuries. We had 80 million in cap space on IR last year. The cap was 198. Basically 40% of the cap was on IR. It wasnt just Garoppolo. It was Nick bosa. It was George kittle. It was Richard Sherman. We had to use our swing tackle at center because we lost FIVE centers.Ā 

You also aren't factoring in how bad Garoppolos replacement was. WeĀ had a backup QB who would turn the ball over multiple times and it cost us games. Jimmy will now have a much more competent backup with whoever gets drafted at 3. So, a Garoppolo injury wont hurt us as much as it did last year.Ā 

Last year was the season from hell. We got kicked out of our home state. Had to play the last month of the season on the road. Everything that could go wrong, went wrong, yet we still had a top 10 defense, still scored a decent amount of points, still played hard, fought to the end.Ā 

We are a well coached team on both sides of the ball. We have a winning culture and a strong locker room.Ā 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, N4L said:

My new running theory is that we leaked that we loved Jones while in the midst of negotiating with the dolphins. "we can stay at 12 and take Jones, we don't need to go up to #3"

Then, after we make the trade after leaking our Mac Jones love, these media mouthpieces are like "well, we just heard they love Jones, they must be trading up for Jones"Ā 

So its not that we are smokescreening the #3 pick when 1/2 are locked in, it's that these idiots in the media can't figure out they are talking about yesterday's horse raceĀ 

I like it. It's plausible.

Does this also suggest Miami weren't getting any calls from anyone under SF, or is it just that SF gave them the best return with next year 1st etc?Ā 

4 hours ago, N4L said:

You aren't factoring in other injuries. We had 80 million in cap space on IR last year. The cap was 198. Basically 40% of the cap was on IR. It wasnt just Garoppolo. It was Nick bosa. It was George kittle. It was Richard Sherman. We had to use our swing tackle at center because we lost FIVE centers.Ā 

Fully aware of the other injuries, since they weren't the primary discussion point going on, bringing them up is not relevantĀ 

4 hours ago, N4L said:

You also aren't factoring in how bad Garoppolos replacement was. WeĀ had a backup QB who would turn the ball over multiple times and it cost us games. Jimmy will now have a much more competent backup with whoever gets drafted at 3. So, a Garoppolo injury wont hurt us as much as it did last year.Ā 

Fully aware of the issue at backup QB.Ā  Again, since the focus of the discussion was on Jimmy G health, not the backup.

The reasoning was if Jimmy stays healthy SF won't pick this high so take your shot...not Jimmy needs a better backup

4 hours ago, N4L said:

Last year was the season from hell. We got kicked out of our home state. Had to play the last month of the season on the road. Everything that could go wrong, went wrong, yet we still had a top 10 defense, still scored a decent amount of points, still played hard, fought to the end.Ā 

Only your team faced challengesĀ 

4 hours ago, N4L said:

We are a well coached team on both sides of the ball. We have a winning culture and a strong locker room.Ā 

Agree. Good coaching and culture.

Interesting to see how losing coaches from both sides alters things

22 hours ago, Blue said:

I mean, Rosen wasn't that great of a prospect anyways. That QB class blew and five guys still went in the first round.

Probably should go back in time & tell everyone else this leading up to the 2018 draft.Ā 
Ā 

The consensus made it seem like it was gonna be impossible for Rosen to be a bust. Starting to see the same with Fields now.

Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā  It is more than possible that Atlanta will be content with LT Jake Matthews.Ā  Cinci just acquired LT Riley Reiff and have Jonah Williams behind him so they might not be in the LT market either.Ā  Thus, Chris Grier may have the easiest choice of his life at #6:Ā  the very same phenom he might have taken at #3 to cover one of his team's most glaring needs.

Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā  So, let me see if I've got this right:Ā  Miami could use one of the copious--so numerous that we're still counting them--picks it received from trading away Laremy Tunsil to upgrade to the generational LT Penei Sewell.

Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā  Hmm...nice work if you can get it.

4 minutes ago, Dr A W Niloc said:

Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā  It is more than possible that Atlanta will be content with LT Jake Matthews.Ā  Cinci just acquired LT Riley Reiff and have Jonah Williams behind him so they might not be in the LT market either.Ā  Thus, Chris Grier may have the easiest choice of his life at #6:Ā  the very same phenom he might have taken at #3 to cover one of his team's most glaring needs.

Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā  So, let me see if I've got this right:Ā  Miami could use one of the copious--so numerous that we're still counting them--picks it received from trading away Laremy Tunsil to upgrade to the generational LT Penei Sewell.

Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā  Hmm...nice work if you can get it.

Riley Reiff and Jonah Williams aren't stopping them from taking an elite LT prospect lol. Reiff is on a one year deal (with position flexibility) and Jonah can move off LT to RT or inside. After what happened to Burrow last year I'd imagine it's likely a lock.