Dolphins trade 3rd overall pick to SF

JiffyJag

3 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

@N4L @Forge How would you and the general population of 9er fans feel if they did draft Jones at 3?

Believe it or not, he has a pretty large contingent of fans for the niners. We ran a poll in ours, which isn't a ton of people, but it was actually pretty close to a much bigger poll that was run by Matt Maiocco. Roughly about 55% seem to want Fields, and then Jones was at nearly 25% and then 20% are on Lance. So there's a decent sized following. 

Personally? I Don't get it at all from a trade up stand point. I think Mac Jones is in most drafts. I feel very similarly to him as a prospect as I did Derek Carr (and that's not really a knock; Carr was my QB1 in that draft and I liked him as a first rounder, just not a top 3 guy). I think you're right back in a similar situation in 5-6 years because the most likely result is that you're getting Cousins / Jimmy / Derek as an NFL player and then you have to have the conversation on whether or not these types are cost effective for second contracts (spoiler alert, they really aren't). If your first round player ends up as that type (Jared Goff) I Don't think it's the worst thing, but I also dont' think the Rams drafted Goff with the idea that, "oh yeah, this is the next Kirk Cousins" which is what I feel like the niners are doing here if they make this trade up for Mac. 

Like I said in the 9ers forum, I feel like I'm just going to be regurgitating the same stuff I'm saying about Jimmy now and last year in 5 years, just changing the name. 

But Mac + Kyle will be a moderately successful pairing. I don't think that anyone does (or should) doubt that. Is it a super bowl pairing? I don't know. They'll have him on that rookie deal and can insulate him with a lot of talent, so maybe. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Doesnt Jimmy have a no-Trade clause in his contract, too?

He does...and funny story...from what I understand, it's only for this year. Like last year and the year before, he didn't have one. Next year he doesn't have one. They specifically got a no trade clause for 2021 and that's it. Its like he and his agent knew this would be the year lol 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

He does...and funny story...from what I understand, it's only for this year. Like last year and the year before, he didn't have one. Next year he doesn't have one. They specifically got a no trade clause for 2021 and that's it. Its like he and his agent knew this would be the year lol 

John Lynch vs. Jimmy G.

870753700chess-animated-gif-4.gif

• Like 6

6 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

Daniel Jeremiah on the Athletic Football Show says the messages he has got from around league points to this move being for Mac Jones. 

lol

I've already called my shot for my draft party's annual mock draft contest with Jones at 3, either they take him and I look like a genius or they don't and Forge has well-deserved hope.

4 minutes ago, Blue said:

lol

I've already called my shot for my draft party's annual mock draft contest with Jones at 3, either they take him and I look like a genius or they don't and Forge has well-deserved hope.

The niners are annoying. They are insanely tight lipped, so the fact everyone is saying Mac lends me to think that there is no way in hell this is for mac (this is basically just groupthink run amok because nobody has real sources on anything), but at the same time Shanny is such a megalomaniac with more than a few questionable personnel decisions that I cant rule it out. 

If they take McCorkle, it'll be okay for a couple of years, but I don't like it long term for sure. 

Not sure if this had been posted yet but @Forge mentioned Peter King earlier about getting their picks right. Granted this isn’t a mock quite yet.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/03/29/urban-meyer-jaguars-trevor-lawrence-nfl-draft-trades-fmia-peter-king/

It seems stunning to think Alabama’s Mac Jones could be the Niners’ choice—and “could be” is the operative phrase because the Niners have not decided who to choose at three. You can expect Lynch or coach Kyle Shanahan to say that today when they meet with the local press for the first time since January. But Jones is in the mix. Friend-of-Shanahan Chris Simms, an NBC Sports analyst, wasn’t predicting Jones would be the Niners’ guy when we talked Saturday, but he said: “Where Mac fits that offense perfectly is that Kyle will give him one or two clues about what the defense will do on a play, and the results will be top notch for Mac when he executes the play. He has Joe Burrow-type reading of the defense. Plus, other than Zach Wilson, Mac is the best bullseye-thrower in the draft.” If not Jones, my best guess is Trey Lance, athletic and strong-armed, would be the pick here.

Last point regarding the Niners, if they pick Mac Jones: There is a cadre of evaluators who do not think Jones is a great quarterback for 2021 football because he’s not mobile like a Lance or Wilson. Maybe those evaluators are wrong. We’ll find out soon enough. But if San Francisco picks Jones, the upshot will be stark. For a team to spend three first-round picks on Mac Jones will be the story to watch out of the 2021 draft.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Xenos said:

Not sure if this had been posted yet but @Forge mentioned Peter King earlier about getting their picks right. Granted this isn’t a mock quite yet.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/03/29/urban-meyer-jaguars-trevor-lawrence-nfl-draft-trades-fmia-peter-king/

Yep, King is the guy to watch imo. If he is still saying Jones at his last mock right before the draft, I'd be pretty comfortable betting on Mac at the spot. Right now, however, this is all noise and I don't believe any of these guys.

35 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

Here's a reminder about the importance of niner attendance at pro days..

I don’t get what you’re getting at here. He’s a reporter, not the coach and GM. And Kentucky and Ohio State had Pro Days on different days, and Kentucky had more players to watch than just Josh Allen. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, pwny said:

I don’t get what you’re getting at here. He’s a reporter, not the coach and GM. And Kentucky and Ohio State had Pro Days on different days, and Kentucky had more players to watch than just Josh Allen. 

Means just because the Niners brass is attending a pro day doesn't mean they're locked into a pick. 

In fact, the Niners had told Bosa that he was their pick at the combine.

Edited by 49ersfan

If SF is moving up to 1.3 at that price - they won't need a Pro Day to make their decision.   They've already made it, barring injury or off-field incidents.   

Anyone who thinks their visits now are that important are buying into lying season.   You don't pay that price unless you're already convinced.     The odds books making Jones the favorite - I'll probably sprinkle a little $ on both Fields & Lance, and cover myself either way, if this is a smokescreen.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

Means just because the Niners brass is attending a pro day doesn't mean they're locked into a pick. 

In fact, the Niners had told Bosa that he was their pick at the combine.

Yeah, everyone attends pro days. They didn’t have Shanny skip Joey Bosa’s Pro Day to see someone else’s though. A reporter going to a Pro Day on a completely different day is miles different from a coach and GM attending a different Pro Day the exact same day. 

5 minutes ago, pwny said:

Yeah, everyone attends pro days. They didn’t have Shanny skip Joey Bosa’s Pro Day to see someone else’s though. A reporter going to a Pro Day on a completely different day is miles different from a coach and GM attending a different Pro Day the exact same day. 

Maiocco is a niners reporter; he's not going anywhere the niners brass aren't...

1 minute ago, 49ersfan said:

Maiocco is a niners reporter; he's not going anywhere the niners brass aren't...

It was a different day from Ohio State’s Pro Day. Them going there to look at the 16 Kentucky prospects holding their Pro Day there did nothing to interfere with the scouting of Bosa. It’s not the same, at all.