Dolphins trade 3rd overall pick to SF

JiffyJag

15 minutes ago, Forge said:

The niners brass loves to just mess with people. When it became obvious that the Cardinals were taking Kyler, why did they still take Q Williams out for dinner and all that good jazz? They told Nick Bosa they were taking him at the combine lol 

Yeah, it always pays to keep your intentions at least somewhat to yourself.  You never know when circumstances change and you need to execute a trade.  It's just good business really.  Don't reveal anything until you have to.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, squire12 said:

If you would go to the original post that I as replying to. You would see why the discussion was on Jimmy 

Read the above quote where it pretty clearly is discussing Jimmy G injury, notthe rest of the team.

Discussed it because that is what was being discussed 

The discussion was about Jimmy being able to stay healthy 

You don't need to break something down that wasn't about other plFandom. I am aware of the injuries SF dealt with in 2020

Sorry to ruffle your fandom.

My fandom is not ruffled. There was no emotion with my post at all.

My point was that you are choosing to solely look through the lense of garoppolos health to make a singular point about his propensity to have injuries, when the overall discussion with regards to the trade is much farther reaching. 

Yes, garoppolo was injured last season, but other players were injured as well. Choosing to ignore the other injuries while focusing solely on garoppolos health, to make a determination regarding the future viability of the 49ers team in total, seems like a purposefully obtuse way to look at things. I use obtuse because I dont know what other word to use. I know you to be a smart guy so solely focusing on a clearly big picture trade through a very small lense seems... idk. the wrong way to look at it

Additionally, this trade was partly made because of Garoppolos health. So you saying, "Garoppolos durability should be called into question and therefore the niners may draft high again". My counter is that garoppolos health will no longer be a determining factor in where our draft pick falls. 

54 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Depends on if you think you can move up for an OT from the early 2nd.

The don't have to take an OT this year.  Reiff and Jonah Williams are more than capable book ends.  Not to mention Burrow got hurt because of poor interior OL play, not on the edges.  I think one of a decent guard or tackle is there at 38.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

You could say the exact same thing about Fields so....

Fields played 2 years of football at Ohio State and was highly touted out of high school as a 5 star prospect. While he had players around him he wasn't given top 10 draft wr talent that Mac was given, on top of a 1st rd rb too. I am not saying fields could be better then Mac but Fields has certainly been playing a lot longer then mac has as he was sitting behind tua. Drafting a Qb is tough but you dont want to be known as the team that pass on Mahomes and Watson who had years of experience for a 1 year wonder, that is all I am saying.

23 minutes ago, Blue said:

I'm just unbelievably amused at the idea Mac Jones could be selected higher than Tua Tagovailoa in consecutive drafts despite clearly being a drastically inferior prospect in every possible way except health.

In a stronger QB class I would say as well. 

I Don't think the difference between Tua and Mac is as great as some, but I largely wasn't a huge Tua fan. 

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

In a stronger QB class I would say as well. 

I Don't think the difference between Tua and Mac is as great as some, but I largely wasn't a huge Tua fan. 

I wasn't a Tua fan either but Jones going in the top 3 in any year is an indictment of the front office that took him there.

21 hours ago, Chargers said:

C'mon now lets not be reasonable about things. I for one applaud the Bengals bravado if they take Chase over Sewell, the same way I would every other team between 1-12 NOT taking Sewell. That unlucky #13 team however can be unfortunate enough to draft him though. 

terrence howard raise drink GIF by Empire FOX

• Like 1

Just now, Blue said:

I wasn't a Tua fan either but Jones going in the top 3 in any year is an indictment of the front office that took him there.

I mentioned this in the 9er forum, but if they take Jones and Fields or Lance hits, this is Shanny's legacy as a QB evaluator / megalomaniac (and yes, I understand that it's not fair, but optics rarely are)

2017: passed on Mahomes / Watson for Cousins, who they never got. 

2018: Passed on Baker, Darnold, Josh Allen for Jimmy G (Darnold isn't a huge deal right now, but Baker looks good and Allen is turning into a stud). The niners had 0 wins when they traded for Jimmy G and were ear marked for a top 3 pick in one of the top heaviest QB classes we had ever seen (was the first time in 70 years 4 quarterbacks went in the top 10)

2021: Passed on Fields / Lance for McCorkle. 

Like damn, that's a rough beat to get over if Lance / Fields hit and you passed. 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Blue said:

I'm just unbelievably amused at the idea Mac Jones could be selected higher than Tua Tagovailoa in consecutive drafts despite clearly being a drastically inferior prospect in every possible way except health.

As a sports bettor I appreciate numerical cheat sheets. Subjectivity is so lame and fragile. You don't have time to apply subjectivity to every game, when it's uncertain benefit in the first place.

The YPA numbers are now a reliable cheat sheet toward quarterbacks and the NFL draft. I have mentioned it on several sites for years. If a guy is averaging in the rarified 11 YPA range he is going to be drafted extremely high. Once Mac Jones established that level and remained there, he was headed toward the top of the draft. Jones averaged 11.2 YPA. The same principal applied to Zach Wilson at 11.0

The only exception in recent years was Jalen Hurts. He managed 11 YPA at Oklahoma. But there were two variables that caused skepticism toward Hurts...he hadn't managed anything close to 11 YPA during his starting seasons at Alabama, and it was the third consecutive season an Oklahoma quarterback -- Mayfield, Murray -- had put up 11 YPA. It was understandably attributed largely to the system and personnel. Hurts was downgraded. But if the league had to do that draft over again, Hurts would be picked considerably higher. I guarantee there are personnel guys this year who are kicking themselves for devaluing Hurts' 11 YPA, and saying they won't make that mistake again.

YPA is not the only criteria, obviously. Clemson and Ohio State quarterbacks have not managed anything close to that level yet are picked high. If there is an 11 YPA guy it's silly to fixate on everything else and conclude he can't be picked high. That's all I'm saying. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Awsi Dooger said:

As a sports bettor I appreciate numerical cheat sheets. Subjectivity is so lame and fragile. You don't have time to apply subjectivity to every game, when it's uncertain benefit in the first place.

The YPA numbers are now a reliable cheat sheet toward quarterbacks and the NFL draft. I have mentioned it on several sites for years. If a guy is averaging in the rarified 11 YPA range he is going to be drafted extremely high. Once Mac Jones established that level and remained there, he was headed toward the top of the draft. Jones averaged 11.2 YPA. The same principal applied to Zach Wilson at 11.0

The only exception in recent years was Jalen Hurts. He managed 11 YPA at Oklahoma. But there were two variables that caused skepticism toward Hurts...he hadn't managed anything close to 11 YPA during his starting seasons at Alabama, and it was the third consecutive season an Oklahoma quarterback -- Mayfield, Murray -- had put up 11 YPA. It was understandably attributed largely to the system and personnel. Hurts was downgraded. But if the league had to do that draft over again, Hurts would be picked considerably higher. I guarantee there are personnel guys this year who are kicking themselves for devaluing Hurts' 11 YPA, and saying they won't make that mistake again.

YPA is not the only criteria, obviously. Clemson and Ohio State quarterbacks have not managed anything close to that level yet are picked high. If there is an 11 YPA guy it's silly to fixate on everything else and conclude he can't be picked high. That's all I'm saying. 

As long as we're talking purely on the basis of where a guy gets drafted and not what his pro projection is, I think we're on the same page.

3 minutes ago, pwny said:

Fields is having a second throwing day before the draft that Shanny is going to which is why they are going to Bama's. Right now, this is a lot of fun...not going to lie though, it's going to be tedious after a month. Sometimes I hate being a niner fan LOL  

1 hour ago, N4L said:

My fandom is not ruffled. There was no emotion with my post at all.

My point was that you are choosing to solely look through the lense of garoppolos health to make a singular point about his propensity to have injuries, when the overall discussion with regards to the trade is much farther reaching. 

I know SF had injuries besides Jimmy G.  Never stated they didn't,  not ignoring they didn't.   The discussion was centered and focused on the track record of Jimmy G staying healthy.

1 hour ago, N4L said:

Yes, garoppolo was injured last season, but other players were injured as well. Choosing to ignore the other injuries while focusing solely on garoppolos health, to make a determination regarding the future viability of the 49ers team in total, seems like a purposefully obtuse way to look at things. I use obtuse because I dont know what other word to use. I know you to be a smart guy so solely focusing on a clearly big picture trade through a very small lense seems... idk. the wrong way to look at it

That was the focus of the discussion at that time.  My response was related to that point.  Keeping the discussion on that felt the thing to do.

Your fandom definitely is ruffled and the characterization speaks to that.  Passive aggressive language, condescending tone. 

1 hour ago, N4L said:

Additionally, this trade was partly made because of Garoppolos health. So you saying, "Garoppolos durability should be called into question and therefore the niners may draft high again". My counter is that garoppolos health will no longer be a determining factor in where our draft pick falls. 

Again.  I was replying to the topic of discussion which was Jimmy G health.