Dolphins trade 3rd overall pick to SF

JiffyJag

14 minutes ago, SBLIII said:

It will be Jones.

Correct, and for all the obvious reasons (not the least of which is that New England wants Mac, too).  However, it isn't 100% certain that was the case when the trade was made.  We assumed Shanahan was saying:

We want Fields and no one else.

...but it could just as easily have meant:

We want Fields and no one less.

The same thing happened at this point in 2018 when the geeks turned the focus from Sam Darnold to Baker Mayfield at #1.

4 hours ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

If Schefter isn't one of the most reliable sources for information in the NFL idk who is. Obviously he could be completely wrong, anyone could be wrong, but I like to go with the idea that when there is smoke there is fire.

Not this time of year...

• Like 3

9 hours ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

If Schefter isn't one of the most reliable sources for information in the NFL idk who is. Obviously he could be completely wrong, anyone could be wrong, but I like to go with the idea that when there is smoke there is fire.

We won't know the truth until draft day or if the Niners just say who they are picking.

In January he was saying darnold was going to be the jets starter this year. He's not quoting sources within the organization, just saying what he thinks. Shanahan supposedly hasn't even told his assistants who the selection is. Jones could be the pick for sure, but what's going on is echo chamber driven in the words of David Lombardi

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dr A W Niloc said:

Correct, and for all the obvious reasons (not the least of which is that New England wants Mac, too).  However, it isn't 100% certain that was the case when the trade was made.  We assumed Shanahan was saying:

I would imagine that who new England wants to pick would absolutely be the very least of reasons for the niners

3 hours ago, Forge said:

I would imagine that who new England wants to pick would absolutely be the very least of reasons for the niners

Even before they get real QBs S.F. and N.E. are strong contenders for Super Bowl LVI.  It would not sit well (especially during the next two draft seasons without a first round pick) if S.F. were to lose out because they allowed Mac Jones to go to New England.  

The very least of reasons would be what we predict here.

• Like 1

Just now, Dr A W Niloc said:

Even before they get real QBs S.F. and N.E. are strong contenders for Super Bowl LVI.  It would not sit well (especially during the next two draft seasons without a first round pick) if S.F. were to lose out because they allowed Mac Jones to go to New England.  

The very least of reasons would be what we predict here.

Yes, I'm sure the plan for SF is to draft a guy to block him from new England. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

Yes, I'm sure the plan for SF is to draft a guy to block him from new England. 

Whereas I'm sure the plan for S.F. is to draft a QB with unparalleled accuracy and intelligence [before New England or anyone else can]. 

Unless we're speaking of litotes, "not the least of which" doesn't mean "the sole or most important."

4 minutes ago, Dr A W Niloc said:

Whereas I'm sure the plan for S.F. is to draft a QB with unparalleled accuracy and intelligence [before New England or anyone else can]. 

Unless we're speaking of litotes, "not the least of which" doesn't mean "the sole or most important."

If they draft him because he's smart and accurate, that's why they are drafting him. It has nothing to do with new England wanting him. It would have to do with the niners wanting him because of those traits. 

The fact that the Patriots want him would have no impact on whether or not the niners desire him. 

4 hours ago, BigTrav said:

I will be laughing.

Why? What am I missing here that makes Mac Jones a laughing stock? Is it because of the talent surrounding him? The same could be said for Lawrence and Fields. Even Lance really considering he played at what amounts to the Alabama of D2. I just don’t understand why people dislike Mac Jones in the top 5 but are totally okay with Lance in the top 5? And I like Trey Lance but he went an entire season only having 287 pass attempts and is basically about as raw as you can get. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Forge said:

If they draft him because he's smart and accurate, that's why they are drafting him.

Leaving aside the petitio principii  and tautology, if we wanted to be reductive we could eliminate accuracy, since Fields has it in spades, too.  We could say that, with that O-Line and system, Shanahan will prefer Mac's brains to Justin's legs.  Works for me, but others might want more.

As for SB LVI, if the Head Coach or General Manager of a team as stacked as the 49ers isn't including it in their thinking then, to paraphrase an earlier S.F. HC, they're "not thinking at all."

"If everyone is thinking alike then no one is thinking at all." - BW

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dr A W Niloc said:

Leaving aside the petitio principii  and tautology, if we wanted to be reductive we could eliminate accuracy, since Fields has it in spades, too.  We could say that, with that O-Line and system, Shanahan will prefer Mac's brains to Justin's legs.  Works for me, but others might want more.

As for SB LVI, if the Head Coach or General Manager of a team as stacked as the 49ers isn't including it in their thinking then, to paraphrase an earlier S.F. HC, they're "not thinking at all."

I have no idea why you keep bringing fields into this, but sure. 

I also haven't mentioned anything about the super bowl.

You're really just all about listening to yourself talk,  because you're certainly not listening to what I'm saying

1 minute ago, BucsDraftGeek47 said:

Or....

J-E-T-S come in and do their thanggggggg and pick Mac at 2!

OOOOOOOOO - MLG GIF | Gfycat

Imagine the 4D chess that would be played, wherein the entire league smokescreen's their way into the Jets doing the most J-E-T-S thing ever, and talking themselves into Mac Jones due to peer pressure.