Dolphins trade 3rd overall pick to SF

JiffyJag

6 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

Let's say Lawrence goes 1 Wilson 2 Jones 3 if Jones did become a bust and say Lawrence became one would Jones be the biggest bust considered what niners traded to get him.

You should put that up in the comparison forum, thats a good question lol 

I would tend to say Jones is the bigger bust, but I may let my own evaluation influence that choice as  well and say Lawrence. That's a tough one. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Forge said:

You should put that up in the comparison forum, thats a good question lol 

I would tend to say Jones is the bigger bust, but I may let my own evaluation influence that choice as  well and say Lawrence. That's a tough one. 

I'm too lazy plus I didn't know if it was comparison worthy lol I just get stoned and my mind wanders lmao.

1 hour ago, thebestever6 said:

Let's say Lawrence goes 1 Wilson 2 Jones 3 if Jones did become a bust and say Lawrence became one would Jones be the biggest bust considered what niners traded to get him.

I think it is 2 different things.

The players:   I would think fans would view Lawrence as a bigger bust.  "Concensus " #1 pick since his freshman year in college.  Jones was never viewed as such.  More like mid to late 1st that got overdrafts

The teams:  don't think many would downgrade Jacksonville for taking Lawrence.....but SF would be crushed for giving up 3 firsts to takes Jones.

50 minutes ago, squire12 said:

The players:   I would think fans would view Lawrence as a bigger bust.  "Concensus " #1 pick since his freshman year in college.  Jones was never viewed as such.  More like mid to late 1st that got overdrafts

The teams:  don't think many would downgrade Jacksonville for taking Lawrence.....but SF would be crushed for giving up 3 firsts to takes Jones.

The more I think about it the Lawrence I think wins out regardless because yes San Francisco mortgaged a ton for number 3 to select blank ? But, if pick three was worth 3 first and a third what was the number one pick worth to select Lawrence lol? I mean Jags could get a haul hershel walker esque.

10 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

If both Lawrence and Jones were busts, who would be the bigger bust (man..usually I love big busts).

It's Lawrence! Look at the hype he's getting! Best prospect since Manning or Luck, isn't he? That would be a mix of disaster, hilarious, embarrassing and shocking.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

Let's say this Fields gets picked to the Niners busts and Mac goes to the pats and becomes top 10 QB. How would that look lol.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

Let's say this Fields gets picked to the Niners busts and Mac goes to the pats and becomes top 10 QB. How would that look lol.

Billy B gets the credit is probably the most likely reaction in that scenario rather than the niners messed up by passing on Jones for Fields.

16 hours ago, squire12 said:

Well, we would take him with a 1st after trading up and giving up 2 other firsts....so technically not giving UP 3 to take him. Just 2. 

But if he busts, it would be extremely cringe-worthy.

39 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Well, we would take him with a 1st after trading up and giving up 2 other firsts....so technically not giving UP 3 to take him. Just 2. 

Did you use 2021 pick 12 + 2022 first + 2023 first to acquire the 2021 pick 3?

if so, traded 3 firsts to get 1 first (that was used to select a player)

2 hours ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Your using pick 3 then you traded 2 first and a 3rd. So his value for the Niners is 3 1s and a 3rd. That was the cost of getting him. 

On 4/15/2021 at 1:02 PM, Forge said:

Here's the crazy thing...don't think for one second that it doesn't have a real chance to be legit. When Shanny went to Atlanta, he had to rework how Ryan conducted playactions. Seriously. 

I don't think it means anything with regards to who they are picking or anything, but I don't doubt for a second that, 

A) Shanny could have a preference on which foot is back

B) Beck would know this preference 

C) Beck would incorporate that preference and train it into Fields while auditioning for Shanny 

Beck did do this with the scheme in my mind.

• Like 1

Albert Breer seems very positive about Fields, obvious bias aside. The bolded stood out to me.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/04/15/gameplan-landon-dickerson-nfl-draft-injury-rehab

Justin Fields had a second pro day happened in Columbus on Wednesday, and we’ll have more on that on Monday. But I’d say this much: The structure of it was very smart. This was very much Fields’s workout. The 21-year-old put together the script, knowing what NFL teams wanted, and Buckeyes quarterbacks coach Corey Dennis held it for him and read off of it. But it was clear that the QB himself was running the show (which was intentional).

As for the details of that workout, there was a heavy West Coast offense bent to it, with Fields throwing off traditional play-action (turning his back to the line), working through quick-game throws and screens, and then progressing down the field to show his capability of hitting every level of the field. Which is to say that even if it wasn’t catered specifically for Kyle Shanahan, it might’ve looked that way to an educated onlooker.

There were three other interesting nuggets we were able to gather. 

One, Fields was throwing to freshmen receivers Julian Fleming and Jaxon Smith-Njigba, and basically coaching the 19-year-olds on how he wanted the routes run as the workout went on, which got the attention of some people in attendance—flashing both his football IQ and his command. 

Two, the script called for 44 throws, and much of it was similar to what he did on March 30 (he repeated a few to bring that number to around 50). After that, he let NFL coaches take over for about 10 more throws, and drills they ran had receivers at downfield spots. After the ball was snapped, and Fields took his drop, the coaches yelled where to go with it, and Fields had to snap it to the receivers.

And three, the tempo of the workout was breakneck, to show the sort of shape Fields was in as all of this was going down, which gave the coaches a chance to see the quarterback basically run the show at an intense pace.

So it sounds like Fields did all he could, as the hay approaches the barn on his pre-draft process. It’s also worth noting how the Falcons, Broncos, Panthers and Patriots had multiple people at both of Fields’s throwing days, and had different crews at each of them, which I’d guess is an effort to get more people developing opinions on who he is.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

Would paying $1,000,000 for a Corolla make it a better car than a $200,000 Lamborghini?

22 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

I think the actual answer to this would come down to which QB was worse and that'd give the answer. 

But if they both turned into the exact same horrible QB, I think Trevor would be the bigger bust, but the 49ers would be ridiculed harder for a bigger mistake.

The floor on Trevor if everything goes wrong is still perceived by the overwhelming majority to be above the Dalton line. People are saying maybe he's already peaked, but that might mean he steps in day one and is a top 10 QB. If he fails, it's a monumental fail on the entirety of the scouting community and on him.

If whoever the 49ers take at 3 is a bust, I don't think it'll reflect too horribly on the player comparatively. He was still the third best prospect at the position in the year, and each spot you go deeper at QB, your rate of success goes significantly lower. But for the 49ers to give up that much for an imperfect prospect that couldn't even crack being a top 2 QB in his own draft class, that player needs to be great or the 49ers will be ridiculed for making such a horrible judgement.

In short, Trevor would be the bigger bust, but Mac/Fields/whoever goes at 3 the bigger mistake.

• Like 1