Dolphins trade 3rd overall pick to SF

JiffyJag

10 hours ago, ET80 said:

Are they doing similar setups for Mac or Fields? If not, I'd say it's pretty much locked that Lance is going to be the pick.

I imagine that Lance will ace the workout...

Fields had already been working with Beck, they did make some suggestions in Fields workout. This one seems to be way more hands on. I've always thought Lance was the guy since they made the trade and IMO I think he's their #1 they just want to be 100% sure and this might help. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

I feel like Lance would suit the 49ers style of offense, with his team using motion and him being under center a lot. But I also feel 3 is too early and they're going after either Fields or Wilson.

Lance maybe a bit too inaccurate for them, considering they're going to move off Jimmy

3 isn't early at all because he wasn't getting to 12 and you cant risk waiting for him to drop and moving up from 12 to 5/6/7 would still be costly. Pay the extra 1 to get to 3 and control your own destiny. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

3 isn't early at all because he wasn't getting to 12 and you cant risk waiting for him to drop and moving up from 12 to 5/6/7 would still be costly. Pay the extra 1 to get to 3 and control your own destiny. 

Yeah I agree, what I mean is I think they've identified the 2 best (other than TLAW) with getting to 3. I'd be surprised if they drafted Lance to an extent

18 hours ago, 49erurtaza said:

They did the same for Fields. 

Did they? I thought Beck deliberately set it up that way for Fields. In fact, he was trying to help Wilson, Fields, and Lance know all the movements and concepts of a Shanahan scheme since the teams 2-4 in the draft had someone who was versed in that scheme.

Just now, Jeezla said:

Everyone already knows Jerry Jones wants to move up to 6 for Pitts in case the Lions want him.

I was assuming that the Dolphins would be interested because they are thinking that they may have miscalculated on who would go at 4 & 5. I assumed when the made the trade originally that they believed Pitts or Chase would be there at 6 because a QB could go at 4, and Cincy was likely to take Sewell. Now the talk has shifted and it seems like those two could easily go 4 & 5 leaving Miami out in the cold. A move down with someone like Denver at 9 could make a ton of sense at that point if they aren't a big believer in Sewell or want to go another direction. 

Denver can go up and get a QB if they want and the cost wouldn't be an arm and a leg most likely. 

13 minutes ago, Forge said:

I was assuming that the Dolphins would be interested because they are thinking that they may have miscalculated on who would go at 4 & 5. I assumed when the made the trade originally that they believed Pitts or Chase would be there at 6 because a QB could go at 4, and Cincy was likely to take Sewell. Now the talk has shifted and it seems like those two could easily go 4 & 5 leaving Miami out in the cold. A move down with someone like Denver at 9 could make a ton of sense at that point if they aren't a big believer in Sewell or want to go another direction. 

Denver can go up and get a QB if they want and the cost wouldn't be an arm and a leg most likely. 

That will probably still be the case if Trey Lance gives some GM a boner. The Giants should move up for him.

I don't think they miscalculated #4, even if Pitts goes there. MIA is probably targeting Chase, and have since had assurances that Cinci is taking him at 5. Now they will target DeVonta/Waddle in a trade down, and pretend a reunion of Tua/Waddle or Smith was the plan all along, but they really wanted Ja'Marr. Maybe Sewell, but most likely Ja'Marr. Whoever the Bengals take at 5 is who the Dolphins wanted at 6.

Edited by Jeezla

33 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

That will probably still be the case if Trey Lance gives some GM a boner. The Giants should move up for him.

I don't think they miscalculated #4, even if Pitts goes there. MIA is probably targeting Chase, and have since had assurances that Cinci is taking him at 5. Now they will target DeVonta/Waddle in a trade down, and pretend a reunion of Tua/Waddle or Smith was the plan all along, but they really wanted Ja'Marr. Maybe Sewell, but most likely Ja'Marr. Whoever the Bengals take at 5 is who the Dolphins wanted at 6.

From my understanding they thought Bengals where taking Chase at 5 prior to the trade. 

8 hours ago, Jeezla said:

Everyone already knows Jerry Jones wants to move up to 6 for Pitts in case the Lions want him.

Would the lions really take two TEs in the top 10 in three years?? I just can't buy that, although Pitts is certainly a better prospect than hockenson was. 

Albert Breer musings:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/04/19/mmqb-nfl-draft-primer-20-things-to-know-offseason-workout-squabble

2) Obviously, the possibility that Jones would be in play has led to a lot of intrigue with the Niners at No. 3. The team’s brass is still swearing to other teams that they haven’t made a final decision on what they plan to do. Seem impossible? Sure it does, until you really think about it. Of course, Kyle Shanahan had a leaning when the trade was made. He’d done two months of work on those guys. It’d be hard not to have one at that point. But what if, for argument’s sake, Shanahan came to a comfort level with one of the three quarterbacks (beyond Lawrence and Wilson) that the Niners saw as first-rounders? And what if he said, I can see Mac Jones being my quarterback for the next 15 years? And what if he was also intrigued by Lance and Fields, but used Jones as the baseline, the I know I’m going to like what I get at No. 3 regardless guy? And what if that was just the starting point for a month of work to get to know all three and make the best call? That, it seems to me, would be a smart approach for a smart organization. And honestly, I think it is their approach.