Dolphins trade 3rd overall pick to SF

JiffyJag

Niners missed out on Mahomes & Watson in '17 due to their arrogance in not scouting them properly and waiting for Cousins. 

Niners missed out on Josh Allen in '18 due to getting Jimmy G gift wrapped. Shanny has said that he wished Allen entered the '17 draft, and he also gushed over Allen after he destroyed us last season. 

Niners didn't sign Tom Brady in '20 when they had the chance. He WANTED to be a 49er, if you believe the reports at the time (as we've seen, they're not always reliable)

They finally stopped being passive. You have to be bold to win championships. The trade, the comments Shanny made, Jones never made sense at 3. He was only a viable option if we stayed at 12 and the other 4 QB's were gone. 

Most people would say trading 3 1st's for a QB is a risk. We could have easily traded a 4th for Minshew to bolster our QB depth, gotten a CB at 12, and nobody would have said a word. Probably get an A+ grade from Kiper while we go 11-6 and a divisional round exit.

Clearly, the Niners brass felt that going int the future without a (potential) top 5 QB is the bigger risk. Not being bold cost us a chance at top QB's, it may have cost us a championship. 

I for one am glad this team seized the opportunity, and i am excited to see Shanny work with his very own Josh Allen clone.

Edited by 49ersfan
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

Excellent post 49ers fan. My only biggest issue is that they may well have gotten him for a lot less.

Possibly. Not sure if it was concrete, but i think the Falcons, Panthers, & Broncos could all have considered him. Benjamin Allbright mentioned earlier this offseason that any team that wants Lance would have to trade up to 3

Peter King with the background info about what happened. I thought the parts below were cool and pushed back against what others have stated.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/05/03/aaron-rodgers-trade-nfl-draft-fmia-peter-king/

“We weren’t going to work to correct that,” said Shanahan. “But to see how much this matters to so many people was just unbelievable. It really taught me a lot about people. And I guess it’s awesome for our league, all the attention.”

The Niners gain nothing by saying who they’d pick—and Shanahan said he and Lynch didn’t know for sure Lance was the guy till April 19, the day of Lance’s second Pro Day practice in North Dakota.

How he did the study was interesting too. The 49ers’ video department puts a blank bar on each video clip, so Shanahan—instead of taking notes in a notebook—can type in his notes on every play. After he finished his pass-through of tape study on Lance, he emailed Lynch between 20 and 40 plays of Lance so he could see what Shanahan was seeing, and he told the GM words to this effect: I’m obsessed with the type of stuff we can do with this guy. Shanahan said Lynch couldn’t sleep that night, he was so excited about Lance’s prospects for the offense.

“I’ve always been intrigued when you can have a guy make the defense play 11-on-11,” Shanahan said. “It just slows down the game a little bit. You cannot have a guy that only makes them worry about the run. It’s just a matter of time before that becomes pretty easy to contain and that’s not built to last. You’ve got to have a guy that can do both.” Shanahan didn’t say this to me, but he had to be thinking about the mobility of Lance and the relative lack of it with Jones, and he had to be thinking of the exquisite accuracy of Jones (74 percent) versus the decent accuracy of Lance (65 percent) in college. Everything had to be considered.

On 5/1/2021 at 1:06 AM, 49ersfan said:

Niners missed out on Mahomes & Watson in '17 due to their arrogance in not scouting them properly and waiting for Cousins. 

Niners missed out on Josh Allen in '18 due to getting Jimmy G gift wrapped. Shanny has said that he wished Allen entered the '17 draft, and he also gushed over Allen after he destroyed us last season. 

Niners didn't sign Tom Brady in '20 when they had the chance. He WANTED to be a 49er, if you believe the reports at the time (as we've seen, they're not always reliable)

They finally stopped being passive. You have to be bold to win championships. The trade, the comments Shanny made, Jones never made sense at 3. He was only a viable option if we stayed at 12 and the other 4 QB's were gone. 

Most people would say trading 3 1st's for a QB is a risk. We could have easily traded a 4th for Minshew to bolster our QB depth, gotten a CB at 12, and nobody would have said a word. Probably get an A+ grade from Kiper while we go 11-6 and a divisional round exit.

Clearly, the Niners brass felt that going int the future without a (potential) top 5 QB is the bigger risk. Not being bold cost us a chance at top QB's, it may have cost us a championship. 

I for one am glad this team seized the opportunity, and i am excited to see Shanny work with his very own Josh Allen clone.

I wish my team would take a chance such as this. Spielman is so tight with his picks that it likely costs the Vikes from ever being a serious threat. Cousins keeps them relevant and competitive, that’s it. It was even reported that Spielman was enamored with Justin Fields and tried to trade up but obviously didn’t want to part with that future first round pick because a trade never happened. Spielman saw Fields as a franchise guy, but couldn’t make a bold move, and settled for Mond in the third round.