49ers Acquire the 3rd Overall Pick and Breaks the Internet.

baltimoreRebel

3 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

What if Jimmy requests a trade and doesn't want to be part of a lame duck season? What happens then? Especially if Shanny doesn't want to play say Lance next year? Does he try to get back Cam in a potential Jimmy trade? Lol. 

Yea I was just thinking about this earlier. Like if Jimmy's camp isn't smitten with him being a placeholder to some rookie, he could make this situation very contentious. 

On the other hand, no on else is going to pay him 25 million. He'd be lucky to get 10 from most teams. So he could make his money, play the good little solider for a year, then go back home to Chicago and play for the hometown team. That would be the smart play.

Two issues I would like to put my opinion on.  They are tied together, separate steps to a common goal, the strategy involved if you will.

First with Jimmy G, many people are saying trade him  now.  There is much more upside to keeping him on the roster this season, first we know we can succeed with him, we also know his limitations which is why we are excited to draft a fresh new toy for a QB.  Jimmy wont win a super bowl for us, but we can win a super bowl with him, the first year for the QB we should remove the pressure of starting day 1, the pressure of learning a new and complex system, the learning curve of becoming a professional, and leading the team on the field.  It is hard to see how a green QB would make our team better day 1.  

What do we do with Jimmy then?  He will be easy to trade after the season, it will give a chance of getting a FRP back.  Unfortunately he has the no trade clause for this coming season.  Ideally for me there would be a way to trade him mid season if the rookie has command of the playbook and Shanny has faith in the rookie.  Mid season QB hauls for decent QBs seem to be more value for the team receiving picks than the off season trades.  Of course for this it would take Jimmy to accept the trade, would make this more difficult - (although if the ginger cannon goes down mid season and the bears are fighting for playoffs we would be in a great position).

The other topic I wanted to hit was this QB should start from day 1 because we gave up so much for him.  Do not let the price we paid make us a worse team for a period of games out of pride.  Unless we get Wilson or TLaw I do not want there to be a chance of a rookie starting.  This is not to 'play it safe' but rather to do everything we can to win.  There is even less value in a loss than before, and no one wanted to lose before.  We do not have a FRP, we need to do everything we can to prepare the rookie to win and when he is prepared we put him in position.  We do not want to put our rookie in a position to fail.  Even with Wilson or TLaw I would feel better with Jimmy starting the season.

I dont post much but I did want to share a little of my mind here.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

Yea I was just thinking about this earlier. Like if Jimmy's camp isn't smitten with him being a placeholder to some rookie, he could make this situation very contentious. 

On the other hand, no on else is going to pay him 25 million. He'd be lucky to get 10 from most teams. So he could make his money, play the good little solider for a year, then go back home to Chicago and play for the hometown team. That would be the smart play.

The thing is his no trade clause is only for this season. He can control his destination for this year so if you are him, why wouldn't you request a trade and get to NE? I think Pats would extend him to lower his cap for this year. 

Things get interesting if that happens. 

If Jimmy is thinking right he should be looking at this like a 1 year FA where he is already making 25 mil to prove his value to make more.  It sucks for him that we will be drafting his replacement, but if you want to get paid next year there is not a better offense than this one to make yourself look great.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

Can't imagine Jimmy wanting to stay. I'm sure he feels blindsided by this and the fans & media are gona call for his benching the moment he messes up.

I don't think we traded 3 1st's for a 1st year backup either. The offense will be simplified. Jimmy actually looked better in the more simple offense in '17 than he did in '19. I think we'll be fine with any rookie we draft.

Since we have all our picks this year, I hope we can trade Jimmy to NE or CHI for a future 1st in 2022. 

I think if it is Lance then Shanny definitely prefers to keep Jimmy. Look at all the moves we have made this offseason. It was to make another SB run and then hand over the reigns to the rookie QB and reset a bit. So many one year deals given and some definitely was due to the circumstances. 

This is really a win now type of roster. Very deep and stacked again. 

4 minutes ago, burlow said:

Two issues I would like to put my opinion on.  They are tied together, separate steps to a common goal, the strategy involved if you will.

First with Jimmy G, many people are saying trade him  now.  There is much more upside to keeping him on the roster this season, first we know we can succeed with him, we also know his limitations which is why we are excited to draft a fresh new toy for a QB.  Jimmy wont win a super bowl for us, but we can win a super bowl with him, the first year for the QB we should remove the pressure of starting day 1, the pressure of learning a new and complex system, the learning curve of becoming a professional, and leading the team on the field.  It is hard to see how a green QB would make our team better day 1.  

What do we do with Jimmy then?  He will be easy to trade after the season, it will give a chance of getting a FRP back.  Unfortunately he has the no trade clause for this coming season.  Ideally for me there would be a way to trade him mid season if the rookie has command of the playbook and Shanny has faith in the rookie.  Mid season QB hauls for decent QBs seem to be more value for the team receiving picks than the off season trades.  Of course for this it would take Jimmy to accept the trade, would make this more difficult - (although if the ginger cannon goes down mid season and the bears are fighting for playoffs we would be in a great position).

The other topic I wanted to hit was this QB should start from day 1 because we gave up so much for him.  Do not let the price we paid make us a worse team for a period of games out of pride.  Unless we get Wilson or TLaw I do not want there to be a chance of a rookie starting.  This is not to 'play it safe' but rather to do everything we can to win.  There is even less value in a loss than before, and no one wanted to lose before.  We do not have a FRP, we need to do everything we can to prepare the rookie to win and when he is prepared we put him in position.  We do not want to put our rookie in a position to fail.  Even with Wilson or TLaw I would feel better with Jimmy starting the season.

I dont post much but I did want to share a little of my mind here.

Nice post! I would prefer keeping Jimmy as well. 

My hope is like many of yours in that Sallah and the Jets told us no to wilson at 2. So we made the trade.

But I was thinking, they could say that, but if say that want Sewell or Pitts and thats their plan. If a new team, let's say the Patriots really want Wilson and now have to get ahead of us and offer Jets 4 first for example, no way jets decline that? 

This is what I hope:

The Jets are not going Wilson, but know if they do not take wilson then Miami will get an absolute haul for #3.  Now as they are in the same division as Miami this is a no no so they leak to us that they are not taking Wilson doing us a solid while minimizing the return that their division rivals get.  The Jets would have to be locked on to their own target for this to happen but this is just a case of Shanny and Selah doing each other a solid.

I can hope right?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, 49ers Finest said:

My hope is like many of yours in that Sallah and the Jets told us no to wilson at 2. So we made the trade.

But I was thinking, they could say that, but if say that want Sewell or Pitts and thats their plan. If a new team, let's say the Patriots really want Wilson and now have to get ahead of us and offer Jets 4 first for example, no way jets decline that? 

I don't think that you can make the trade without having two people rated fairly equally. Even if the Jets told us that, we don't know what can happen between now and then. They have a responsibility to their own team first. 

11 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Regardless of what happens, glad we didn't end up with Stafford, Winston, or Darnold as the "future". 

Watson, or draft a guy is what I wanted compared to the other options if terms of seeking a replacement. 

Stafford would have been awesome in this offense....too much at two first round picks though. Never understood the Darnold thing. 

Jimmy won't ask for a trade. Far too short sighted. If our intention is to let him start and play it out this year, that's what is best for him. One, he gets to cash in on his contract this year. Nobody is giving him that amount of money right now if we cut him. Two, he's not likely to get a long term deal in this climate either given the season he's coming off of. So he's going to have to go out there, ball it up and be successful to earn another contract next year....on a new and most likely worse team without the offensive genius that is Kyle. 

If Jimmy stays, he gets paid this year. He will likely be successful which will increase his interest. He'll be in the last year of his deal so he'll likely come with an extension from whomever acquires him (they can massage the cap with this) and coming off a good season, it'll probably be pretty solid. It'll be easier to have that good season here.  It's just a better all around situation for him if he stays. 

• Like 1