49ers Acquire the 3rd Overall Pick and Breaks the Internet.

baltimoreRebel

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/patriots-planning-to-trade-up-for-quarterback-or-acquire-jimmy-garoppolo-after-draft-pick-swaps-per-report/amp/

Howe, meanwhile, reports the Patriots "already planned to remain aggressive on the quarterback front" entering the draft. They've been "all in" on the 2021 QB class, "heavily scouting" top prospects like Trevor Lawrence, Zach Wilson, Justin Fields, Trey Lance and Mac Jones.

Now, after the 49ers' big move up to the No. 3 overall pick, the Pats remain "committed to exhausting their options ... either by drafting a top prospect or acquiring a veteran" like Garoppolo, per Howe. They'd likely need to trade all the way from No. 15 to the Falcons' No. 4 selection to guarantee a top QB pick -- a move that could cost even more than what the Niners paid (two future first-rounders and a 2021 third-rounder) to swap with Miami. But they could also target someone like Jones with a later top-10 pick.

If the draft doesn't shake in their favor, Garoppolo has already drawn the Patriots' interest. And "other teams don't believe" the 49ers' public and anonymous backings of Garoppolo as their 2021 starter, especially now that San Francisco has presumably moved up for a new QB. "Once the Niners stop bluffing," Howe reports, New England could be at the front of the line when it comes to trade talks for the former Super Bowl starter, who began his career as Tom Brady's backup with the Pats.

Interesting. Other teams dont believe we'll keep Jimmy G. I also think Jimmy is a goner sooner or later. If other teams like the Broncos & Panthers are aggressive for QB's, than i think Jimmy is gone to the Pats

I'd much rather flip Jimmy for a future 1st, trade a 4th-5th for Minshew, and keep him as the spot starter/backup. Save cap space, upgrade in picks, and a fresh start for both guys. 

Edited by 49ersfan

I'm not at all convinced that a player's "issue" with progressing through his reads can be coached up. Look at Beathard despite being under Shanny for these years. Some can do it and others just can't process things quick enough. Someone here (757 I believe) did bring up a good point in that Fields didn't have to go through the reads as much in OSU's offense so his ability to do so is simply an unknown at this point. Just don't like that big of an unknown at #3 with all the capital given up.

25 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/patriots-planning-to-trade-up-for-quarterback-or-acquire-jimmy-garoppolo-after-draft-pick-swaps-per-report/amp/

Interesting. Other teams dont believe we'll keep Jimmy G. I also think Jimmy is a goner sooner or later. If other teams like the Broncos & Panthers are aggressive for QB's, than i think Jimmy is gone to the Pats

I'd much rather flip Jimmy for a future 1st, trade a 4th-5th for Minshew, and keep him as the spot starter/backup. Save cap space, upgrade in picks, and a fresh start for both guys. 

Of course teams didn't buy the team loving Jimmy. They snoop around way too much and Jimmy's agent is talking himself. Don't think he's not reaching out to teams himself knowing there is a possibility the team may want to trade him.

They may move Jimmy but like Kawakami and others have mentioned, the team thinks this is a SB caliber team and they aren't going to want to just punt on the season.

I think if they move on from Jimmy, it may during camp if the rookie is looking better than Jimmy or is progressing faster than Shanny initially anticipated.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Of course teams didn't buy the team loving Jimmy. They snoop around way too much and Jimmy's agent is talking himself. Don't think he's not reaching out to teams himself knowing there is a possibility the team may want to trade him.

They may move Jimmy but like Kawakami and others have mentioned, the team thinks this is a SB caliber team and they aren't going to want to just punt on the season.

I think if they move on from Jimmy, it may during camp if the rookie is looking better than Jimmy or is progressing faster than Shanny initially anticipated.

I think if the Pats do something crazy like offer pick 15 to us and we trade Jimmy and our 2nd round pick Niners will do it. I'm not sure the Pats will but I think that John and Kyle are fine with playing Jimmy unless a team offers something they can't refuse. 

Edited by 49erurtaza

13 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

I think if the Pats do something crazy like offer pick 15 to us and we trade Jimmy and our 2nd round pick Niners will do it. I'm not sure the Pats will but I think that John and Kyle are fine with playing Jimmy unless a team offers something they can't refuse. 

I think that the niners will trade Jimmy if they get an offer they can't refuse, I just don't think that will happen. I think it's less likely to be a first this year though. I think its' more likely to be a first next year, and the only reason I consider that a possibility is because of Ryan Pace and Chicago. Future 1st + Nick Foles for Jimmy. The bears could restructure Jimmy immediately to fit in the cap space if they want (they'd have to, but that does make this slightly more unlikely). 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Forge said:

I think that the niners will trade Jimmy if they get an offer they can't refuse, I just don't think that will happen. I think it's less likely to be a first this year though. I think its' more likely to be a first next year, and the only reason I consider that a possibility is because of Ryan Pace and Chicago. Future 1st + Nick Foles for Jimmy. The bears could restructure Jimmy immediately to fit in the cap space if they want (they'd have to, but that does make this slightly more unlikely). 

Ehhh please bears do something dumb lol 🤣

Do not, and I mean do NOT think any of these guys have a clue. The flip flopping so soon is embarrassing. Seriously, Maiocco is great at what he does but he pulled a huge sucker move with how he changed his tone two hours after his initial statement. Now Lombardi is doing the same thing. 

Just sit back and relax, Shanahan isn’t tipping off his cards to ANYONE. I bet there were people in the FO that did not see the trade coming yesterday. 

These guys will all say the usual suspects and keep flip flipping so they can say they were right at one point. 

Edited by J-ALL-DAY
  • Like 4

Bold prediction:  This is just a gamble and they are trying to compile picks.  If the QB market in this draft is as good as it is and is heating up, then maybe they will trade back a few spots for a couple extra picks. Everyone thinks they have their eye on someone and maybe that just drives a QB needy team to offer something they can’t refuse. How Madden like would it be if they ended up trading back to say between 5-7 and got a couple firsts for it? End up moving up 5-7 spots in the first round and end up with a worse teams first round picks for the next couple years. 

Do I think this is gonna happen? Absolutely not. But it would be pure genius. And I would like it better than picking Fields, Jones, or Lance at 3 to be honest. 

2 minutes ago, straighthate said:

Bold prediction:  This is just a gamble and they are trying to compile picks.  If the QB market in this draft is as good as it is and is heating up, then maybe they will trade back a few spots for a couple extra picks. Everyone thinks they have their eye on someone and maybe that just drives a QB needy team to offer something they can’t refuse. How Madden like would it be if they ended up trading back to say between 5-7 and got a couple firsts for it? End up moving up 5-7 spots in the first round and end up with a worse teams first round picks for the next couple years. 

Do I think this is gonna happen? Absolutely not. But it would be pure genius. And I would like it better than picking Fields, Jones, or Lance at 3 to be honest. 

Yeah no they better just go draft there guy and not mess around. 

Mac Jones is far and away a tier behind Wilson, Fields, and Lance IMO

I would just be incredibly distraught if my team gave up 3 first round picks for Mac effing Jones. I wouldn't want the Eagles to take him at 37. He's like a mid 2nd guy.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, straighthate said:

This isnt the movie Draft Day.  If they tried to trade for 4 and 5 before getting 3 it seems like Lance

14 minutes ago, Danger said:

Mac Jones is far and away a tier behind Wilson, Fields, and Lance IMO

I would just be incredibly distraught if my team gave up 3 first round picks for Mac effing Jones. I wouldn't want the Eagles to take him at 37. He's like a mid 2nd guy.

To be fair, I think Jones is going to have a mildly successful career. He just strikes me as a guy that's going to maximize every once he's got, much like a Brady or a Cousins. But I've said from jump, he's not a top half of the first round type of talent. Now first round talent doesn't always equate to being a first round QB. But to me there's very little between him and a guy like Trask as far as arm, intelligence and pocket play.

@Forge talked about this but will make sense to keep him and then trade him after the season. But for next season no real reason to trade him. The team is going to hit bit of a reset button in 2022 and field a completely different defense with all the one year contracts they have. 

No one is giving up a first rounder for him. If he plays great? Then a team may offer one and an extension. 

15 hours ago, straighthate said:

They probably spent more trading up to 3, and would get trading back to 7, than they probably would have spent trading straight to 7.

• Like 1