Draft Talk: Saints positioning themselves to draft BPA at 28.

whodatworm23

7 hours ago, Dome said:

I hope I’m surprised, see turner being a bust 

This should not be a surprise... 

1. Turner has been a very underrated prospect throughout this process that NFL teams were much much higher on than media heads.

2. Sean Payton obsessively spoke on the Saints need to require depth along the defensive line after being gutted this offseason.

3. Turner absolutely fits the profile the Saints look for in edge players with all the traits of a 1st round pick.

4. I spoke of Cam Jordans injury issues of recent and his poor play in 2020. Then there's Davenport’s inability to breakout as of yet. Turners selection will light a fire under both. 

5. This is what Mickey Loomis does, its how they value the position... Darren Howard, Charles Grant, Will Smith, Cameron Jordan, Marcus Davenport. Now Turner is next in that line of bigger physical talented edge 1st rounders taken under Loomis. I keep preaching of the Saints positional value they have at their core as an organization when it comes to 1st round picks, the Saints under Loomis values wining in the trenches with big physical prototype prospects that they look to coach up and develop.

6. When the Saints had Howard and Grant they took Will Smith. When they had Smith and Grant they won a Superbowl but still took Cam Jordan. Its not like this is the first time they have done this.

7. Turner was valued as a top 25 to 35 prospect by many NFL front offices. The Saints weren't alone in their affinity for Turner. Personally I didn't have him graded that high but I did have him in the top 40 prospects on my board. Still, the Saints obviously had a conviction on the player and they trust Ryan Nielson to be able to coach this kid up. 

8. Turner's size, speed, power, length and hands are rare and his versatility is unique. Turner played DT his first few years in college then slimmed down and switched to the edge where he showcased an explosive skill set while keeping that physical mentality he developed on the interior. Turner will play alot in 2021 and will be on the field with both Jordan and Davenport. No team rotates their defensive lineman more than the Saints and he gives the Saints a great succession plan for Jordan in a few years.

9. By all accounts Turner is a excellent character kid with a great work ethic and he plays with an all out hustle to his game. He possesses a non stop motor and even Cam Jordan defended his selection live on TV last night. Jordan spoke of his measurables and how under Jordans tutledge how special the kid can be. Turner himself in an interview with local reporters spoke of how Jordan has been a player hes modeled his game after and is eager to meet him and work and learn from him.

10. This game is still won in the trenches and Iron sharpens Iron. We just got a 6'6" 280 lb super athletic versatile edge player who plays a physically imposing brand of football with the 28th overall pick... ill take it!!! 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, tyler735 said:

Come on please be Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah. He's my favorite non-QB option for us in the 1st a bit surprised he dropped to us.

He's still on the board, maybe if the Saints could find some way to trade up with the Jaguars for the #33 pick they could still get him.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Raves said:

He's still on the board, maybe if the Saints could find some way to trade up with the Jaguars for the #33 pick they could still get him.

I think JOK has a medical that is causing his drop... it happens (Myles Jack, Jaylon Smith, etc.)

Back to Turner...

6.70 3 cone drill... GOD, do you realize how rare that is for a man his size???

35 1/2 inch vertical... 👀 

23 reps at 225... with an 84 inch wingspan!!! Anyone who lifts weights know how hard it is for a longer limb dude to lift and extend so 23 reps with the largest wingspan recorded in the NFL proday since 1999 is crazy strength.

This kid has crazy tools... his tape is clean! If Ryan Nielson is the coach I think he is and Turner has the work ethic and character the Saints are saying he has, this dude gonna be a DOG!!!

• Like 2

I don’t get the hate on Turner, he’s an absolute specimen athletically and the Saints DL could actually be a big weak spot... Jordan was not great last year and is only getting older. Losing Trey is significant, he’s an incredible pass rusher and the Saints defense has looked so spectacular because of how much pass rush we’ve gotten from our front 4. 

I loved the pick and at this point, you just have to trust Loomis and Ireland. They’ve been crushing the draft the last 4 years. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, MookieMonstah said:

Now use the extra 3rd to jump up and grab Asante Samuel Jr

I say stay patient... lot of good players on the board. Plug holes and fill the roster with talent. Cox, JOK, Samuel, Moore, Friermuth, McNiel, Williams, Moerig, Jenkins, Barmore, Linchenberg, Bolton, Campbell, Marshall, Molden, Joseph, etc, etc.

Lots of really good players, this draft the meat is in 2nd and 3rd round and we have 3 picks... use'em don't lose'em. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, whodatworm23 said:

Back to Turner...

6.70 3 cone drill... GOD, do you realize how rare that is for a man his size???

35 1/2 inch vertical... 👀 

I was going to chime in about this when I saw that player performance chart.
HIs 3 cone and shuttle are out of this world!

And look at the frame on the guy. The Pro world can pack another 10-15lbs of muscle on the guy, and that will be scary!

I know Turner isn't a guy that many people were looking at, or even considered, BUT:

I'm glad the Saints stayed put. We all were singing the blues about the Davenport trade a few years ago, and I think we all agree that we reached WAY too far.

Personally, I'd rather take a guy a few spots too early, rather than reach and lose leverage for the rest of the draft, or even future drafts.

We have A LOT of rebuilding to do, and we've done really well building through the draft, and sprinkling in some free agents.

I'm down with this.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mid Iowa said:

We have A LOT of rebuilding to do, and we've done really well building through the draft, and sprinkling in some free agents.

I'm down with this.

This part is really important imo. While I wouldn't say this is a complete rebuild, we're in the 're-tool on the fly' phase. If we can develop Turner and others, we could have a really nice young O-line and D-line (Neither Ruiz nor Davenport is a bust just yet imo). You win in the trenches and we're basically rebuilding both lines for our next run.

20 minutes ago, whodatworm23 said:

I say stay patient... lot of good players on the board. Plug holes and fill the roster with talent. Cox, JOK, Samuel, Moore, Friermuth, McNiel, Williams, Moerig, Jenkins, Barmore, Linchenberg, Bolton, Campbell, Marshall, Molden, Joseph, etc, etc.

Lots of really good players, this draft the meat is in 2nd and 3rd round and we have 3 picks... use'em don't lose'em. 

Agree. Stay patient, trust your board and draft young talents throughout the entire roster. No reason to trade up imo.

Might be a pipe dream, but Barmore would be a terrific pick. Probably a pipe dream for him to last that long, but I'd love to bulk up our D-line this draft.

34 minutes ago, Canadian Saint said:

Agree. Stay patient, trust your board and draft young talents throughout the entire roster. No reason to trade up imo.

Might be a pipe dream, but Barmore would be a terrific pick. Probably a pipe dream for him to last that long, but I'd love to bulk up our D-line this draft.

I mean if the cost is right using some of this draft assets/future assets to ensure 2 or more of the players still left would be huge.  I mean trade up for Barmore who probably won't last and hope for either ASJ or JOK are are the 2nd pick.

3 minutes ago, Raves said:

I mean if the cost is right using some of this draft assets/future assets to ensure 2 or more of the players still left would be huge.  I mean trade up for Barmore who probably won't last and hope for either ASJ or JOK are are the 2nd pick.

I honestly don't see the ASJ thing... the Saints always have coveted height weight speed corners in the draft just like they do with DE's as we seen in the Turner pick. If they were to make a move for a corner I'd think it would be for Campbell, Joseph or Melenfonwu. Especially now that Kris Richard is now our DB coach.

39 minutes ago, whodatworm23 said:

I honestly don't see the ASJ thing... the Saints always have coveted height weight speed corners in the draft just like they do with DE's as we seen in the Turner pick. If they were to make a move for a corner I'd think it would be for Campbell, Joseph or Melenfonwu. Especially now that Kris Richard is now our DB coach.

Well I'm not talking about moving up for a corner, I'm talking about moving up for Barmore who is almost guaranteed not to be at our pick.  If JOK really does have a medical issue then he could still fall to it and if not then one of the many corners you named would be available.  So if we could use our 2 3rds to move up and secure Barmore then take JOK/best CB at the other 2nd round pick, then that'd be a huge boost to our defense

34 minutes ago, Raves said:

Well I'm not talking about moving up for a corner, I'm talking about moving up for Barmore who is almost guaranteed not to be at our pick.  If JOK really does have a medical issue then he could still fall to it and if not then one of the many corners you named would be available.  So if we could use our 2 3rds to move up and secure Barmore then take JOK/best CB at the other 2nd round pick, then that'd be a huge boost to our defense

I'd agree, here's a thought...

Payton Turner will help in rotation as a rookie but theirs no doubt that his selection was about the future as much as it was about the present. 

With tackles like Jenkins, Eichenberg, Mayfield, Little, Radunz and even Dickerson at guard still available and with Armstead and Rammy in the final year of their deals and Peat contract looming. Not out of relm of possibility that the Saints target another offensive lineman via trade up today.

1 hour ago, whodatworm23 said:

Asante Samuel Jr reminds me a lot of our most recent #2 CB, Janoris Jenkins. In terms of size and athletic testing they are nearly identical. Both also have that playmaking ability on the ball that pops on film, good in man coverage, and play bigger than their size. I'd think the team would be interested in Asante Samuel Jr if available to them at some point tonight.