James Gunn's Suicide Squad - Out now on HBOmax & Theaters

Deadpulse

Loved it. Wasnt perfect but it is what it wanted to be. My only gripe:

Spoiler

The Harley subplot with the President wanting to marry him. It like... doesnt fit with anything else that happens in the movie like... at all. I feel like producers read the first script and were like... MORE HARLEY DAMN IT! WE NEED HORNY TEENS TO SEE THIS MOVIE! So Gunn added this in to appease them. Don't get me wrong, its fine and doesnt really hurt the movie, but it feels really tacked on. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Deadpulse said:

Loved it. Wasnt perfect but it is what it wanted to be. My only gripe:

Reveal hidden contents

The Harley subplot with the President wanting to marry him. It like... doesnt fit with anything else that happens in the movie like... at all. I feel like producers read the first script and were like... MORE HARLEY DAMN IT! WE NEED HORNY TEENS TO SEE THIS MOVIE! So Gunn added this in to appease them. Don't get me wrong, its fine and doesnt really hurt the movie, but it feels really tacked on. 

Spoiler

It did seem a bit out of place, but I thought the payoff was worth it. It was essentially just a long joke and once the punchline of her just shooting him it gave her a way to deal with the trauma she endured over years with the Joker. Which I guess Birds of Prey kinda did but this did it better in like 15 seconds than that did over a whole movie. They could’ve just cut that whole sequence and that character though yeah. It really just was like give her a thing to do + let them not start with the stereotypical graying generalissimo type character leading the country from the outset.

2 minutes ago, Kiltman said:
  Hide contents

It did seem a bit out of place, but I thought the payoff was worth it. It was essentially just a long joke and once the punchline of her just shooting him it gave her a way to deal with the trauma she endured over years with the Joker. Which I guess Birds of Prey kinda did but this did it better in like 15 seconds than that did over a whole movie. They could’ve just cut that whole sequence and that character though yeah. It really just was like give her a thing to do + let them not start with the stereotypical graying generalissimo type character leading the country from the outset.

Spoiler

Given the amount of regime changes in the movie, I wish Gunn had really shone more of a comedic light on it. He like half-heartedly let it there to be funny but didnt put the effort in to make it funny in his way. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:
  Hide contents

Given the amount of regime changes in the movie, I wish Gunn had really shone more of a comedic light on it. He like half-heartedly let it there to be funny but didnt put the effort in to make it funny in his way. 

Spoiler

Yeah it would’ve been a funny parallel to the Suicide Squad if there continued to be backstabs/takeovers and they were all just sort of interchangeable while the team was doing their thing around it all.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Acgott said:

I thought the first quarter was fantastic, rest of the movie was fine.

Agreed. The scene is the spoilers above kind of halted the momentum it had, and it took a while to get back.

I just got back from it, movie was fantastic. It dragged a little during the middle, but the ending more than made up for it with some nice action beats throughout, and the humor was priceless, though that's kinda par for the course with James Gunn.

My only real concern is the $180 mil budget with the R rating might hurt it with Delta going around. Theater going still hasn't fully returned to pre-Covid levels and those two things might cripple its box office if my theater attendance and the $4 mil Thursday opening are anything to go by. There really weren't that many people there unlike Deadpool 1 & 2, Logan and Joker, my theater was packed for all of those.

Really enjoyed it. Delivered on violence while having the heart and made you care about certain characters when they died. The movie was beautifully shot and directed too. CGI was surprisingly great. Humor was hit and miss, but that's Gunn. Cena probaby had his best performance here and I'm looking forward to the Peacemaker show on HBO next year.

4/5.

• Like 1

Ill check it out sometime, but of the four people I personally know that went to see it...

One loved it.

One thought it was pretty good.

One said it was okay, but forgettable.

One thougt it was trash.

Based on what Ive seen, Im leaning towards okay, but forgettable....but Ill reserve judgment.

Edited by 43M