James Gunn's Suicide Squad - Out now on HBOmax & Theaters

Deadpulse

3 hours ago, 43M said:

I mean, I get what youre are saying, but I dont think age will be as big of a factor as it would be for other roles.

First off, I do NOT think they should do another F4 origin story.    Just have them already exist, even if its from another dimension.   That would mean you wouldnt need younger actors because they could already be the F4 for 10 or so years.    RDJ started as Iron Man at 42, so young could definitely have them be a big part of the universe, even when they are both pushing or even over 50.       Although, if they wait another 5 or so years before making this all happen, then yes, it might be smarter to go a little younger.   But I dont thinking you need them to be in their 20s and 30s unless its going to be another origin.

Secondly, even if you introduce them in Quantamania....perhaps have another film where you could build them up after that en route to a F4 movie.    

I just think that they will be very careful with how they handle F4.   I cant see them putting another huge amount of money into a film unless they have all their ducks in a row.   Then again, this is Hollywood....but at least Feige is smarter than most, which isnt saying much.

Yeah I don’t think they should go another origin either, hoping they are either established and from another reality or they are from the 60s and have been trapped since then. Like I can see them retconning Reed, Sue, Hank, Janet and Howard Stark all being contemporaries. But I do think it inherently becomes a different film in a universe full of other characters and don’t hamfist Doom in yet again. If you actually up the science and space stuff it goes way differently than the 2000s attempt especially.

I’d be fine with them being aged up a bit, I’m thinking more on the actor’s side will Blunt and Krasinski or others want to still be doing the actiony stuff into their 50s? They can’t just throw a digital suit of armor in there like they did with Downey. It would be fine just you hear a lot of actors say they are kinda over that by then. Also on a personal level I think maybe I’ve just been over the fan cast for a long time, like I think Emily fits well but she also doesn’t seem THAT into doing it. Would certainly be a different take and might go over well, especially if they did bring in their kids out of the gate like @Deadpulsementioned. Though if they are going weird with it with them there are ways of having both, even if they do somewhat mirror what happened with Wanda and her kids.

I think the other thing is they’d probably want Johnny in the 20-24 range to fit in with all the other younger heroes they are introducing, like I’d imagine the plan is to have him and Spidey team up at some point and be somewhat around the same age. Sue is usually a sister/mom to him but that age range between them would be more like 7-10 years not like 17-20. They certainly could do that but it kinda changes their relationship a bit.

F4 is currently on the books for 2023 so it’s coming fast and if they are showing up in Quantumania they would probably be cast already given that’s shooting right now. John and Emily would be 44 and 40 the year it comes out, so it’s not too off the mark, they can shave off a couple years.

• Like 2

On 8/11/2021 at 5:42 PM, 43M said:

Apparently its underperforming in the numbers at the box office and HBO Max.

At the box office, yes, but you're dead wrong about HBO Max. It's the second-most viewed movie on there next to Mortal Kombat. It amassed 2.8M views in its first four days, that's an extra $36M they're missing out on at the box office in Max viewerships. A $62.2M OW is pretty decent, especially for an R-rated film (which is very splendidly earned BTW), even moreso during a pandemic.

Edited by KManX89

57 minutes ago, KManX89 said:

At the box office, yes, but you're dead wrong about HBO Max. It's the second-most viewed movie on there next to Mortal Kombat. It amassed 2.8M views in its first four days, that's an extra $36M they're missing out on at the box office in Max viewerships. A $62.2M OW is pretty decent, especially for an R-rated film (which is very splendidly earned BTW), even moreso during a pandemic.

1)  My comment was based on several articles I read, which is why I said "apparently".

2)   Is 2.8m good?   I honestly dont know.   

3)  Alot of people who watched it on Max wouldn't go to the theater to see it, regardless of Covid.  So it wouldnt have propped up the numbers THAT much.

4)  That whole "best R rated opening during pandemic" is extremely misleading.   It didnt make much more than Conjuring, which also had a much smaller budget.

5)   It fell pretty hard in its second week.

Bottom line...the movie is still falling well short of expectations.

12 hours ago, 43M said:

2)   Is 2.8m good?   I honestly dont know.

I assume this means 2.8 million total home views. So how many people do they assume watch a viewing at home? The average household is ~2.5 people. So that's ~7 million tickets not sold. The average ticket price is above $9, but I'll use $9 for simple math. That's $63mil in ticket sales that they didn't get.

Now would all ~7 million have bought tickets? Impossible to say, especially in a pandemic.

11 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

I assume this means 2.8 million total home views. So how many people do they assume watch a viewing at home? The average household is ~2.5 people. So that's ~7 million tickets not sold. The average ticket price is above $9, but I'll use $9 for simple math. That's $63mil in ticket sales that they didn't get.

Now would all ~7 million have bought tickets? Impossible to say, especially in a pandemic.

I can guarantee the box office wouldnt have gotten close to that much more.    Half or maybe 1/3 IMO.

First off, the convenience of watching from home is a huge plus for many people, regardless of Covid.  

Secondly, its even more relevant when discussing these DC movies, because I GUARANTEE there are alot of people like "well, I wouldnt go to the theater to see another questionable DC movie, but since I can watch it from home....why not?" 

I know the last part to be true, because thats just me and several people I personally know....and I doubt we are the only ones with that mindset.

The first Suicide Squad....even if the inferior movie....had financial success for 3 main reasons IMO....

1)  There was still some hype and excitement for the DCEU, which is no longer there.

2)  They showed well known characters making appearances, such as Batman, Flash, the introduction of live action Harley Quinn, and the Joker (even if was horribly done).

and...

3)  More star power, spearheaded by Will Smith.  

This new SS may be better, but the first one had much more hype.

Anyway....Ill probably go see Batman and Spiderman in theaters.    Maybe the Flash if only to see how they jack up "resetting" the DCEU.      Beyond that, I dont see any other ANNOUNCED comic movies Id go to the theater to see.

Obviously thats just my view...but Im a huge DC fan and was a huge fan of the MCU up through Endgame.   Now, there is very little I am excited for from either.    I even have my doubts about Batman, but the first teaser got me amped.

Bottom line....Im not gonna guess how much this new Suicide Squad would've made if it were exclusively in theaters, but I 100% believe it still would've fell short of commercial expectations because of the reasons I mentioned.