Ravens sign WR Sammy Watkins to 1 year $6m deal ($5m guaranteed)

ravens5520

I don’t see why this would keep us from drafting a WR in the first. It’s Sammy Watkins on a one year deal. That’s not a draft altering move IMO.

Im not a big drafting for needs guy but WR wasn’t even the biggest need anyway. It’s edge rusher by a mile to me and if Orlando Brown gets traded then OL would be bigger than WR. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, M.10.E said:

I am whelmed. 

This is about where I am on this too.

Its an okay move in the circumstances, but his inability to stay healthy (which is the #1 most important 'skill' in the sports) and the fact that its only a 1 year deal doesn't really change much in terms of where WR falls in terms of draft needs (its still top 3-4 along with EDGE, IOL and FS imo)

• Like 1

This is literally less (guaranteed) money than they gave Snead on a 1 year deal last offseason. It shouldn't be considered a massive investment. I still expect another (more significant in terms of capital) addition at WR.

I also expect a vet addition at edge, similar to this move, to add a competent body before the draft.

• Like 2

So I’m a little late to the party (been busy), but this signing doesn’t necessarily come as a surprise to me, I always felt like Watkins would be our most likely signing for a multitude of reasons.

Add in the fact that we signed his offseason WR coach to our squad and that only increased the likelihood that Watkins would be a Raven as our most likely FA acquisition in my mind.

Was obviously hoping for Robinson to hit the market and for us to do whatever it took to obtain him, but Watkins is a great fit IMO. He’s insurance as a deep/intermediate threat in the event that Hollywood ever goes down. He’s a strong enough playmaker option to draw attention from Hollywood and Andrews and make defenses pay for single covering him consistently (unlike Boykin). He could probably be a consistent 2-3 rec/game option for roughly 30-45 yards/game... for probably 12-14 games on the year. I think he could be a Torrey Smith-esq influence for our squad.

We could “get by” with just Watkins, but he doesn’t preclude us from adding a top shelf WR option either. I also love how EDC got him for less than I anticipate we’d be able to bring him in for, it’s a very economic impact signing IMO.

That said if I had to pick our most likely FA acquisition at WR it’d be Sammy Watkins. He has a relationship with Greg Roman. His most productive season of his career came in 2015 with Roman as his OC.

Watkins has shown to be a very willing blocker, he’s shown to sacrifice his ego for the good of the team. He’s been a part of potentially 2 SB winning teams as well.

I think he gets paid less than Davis and while Davis has had better showings in the regular season overall, Watkins has shown a far more explosive  playoff resume. He’ll still only be 28 this upcoming season as well and would bring enough speed and boundary ability that he could draw attention away from Hollywood and/or Andrews inside.

I think Davis probably has suitors where he could sign for 9-11m on a 1 year deal, while Watkins could be on the tier below that as a UFA and might agree with us to a 3 yrs/$21m deal with incentives that could have it reach as much as $27m; things like SB win, number of TDs, receptions, etc.

• Like 2

On 3/27/2021 at 2:01 AM, wackywabbit said:

This is literally less (guaranteed) money than they gave Snead on a 1 year deal last offseason. It shouldn't be considered a massive investment. I still expect another (more significant in terms of capital) addition at WR.

I also expect a vet addition at edge, similar to this move, to add a competent body before the draft.

I think we probably have to view him as a WR version of Bryant McKinnie. Unless he goes against all of his career trends, you basically have to go into this knowing that his body won't hold up for an entire season so we need to handle him in a way that tries to make it so that the ~4-8 games of dialed-in Watkins we gt are the games where we'll need him the most, playoffs included. 

With that in mind though it means there's a decent chance our WR room is, currently at least, unchanged compared to last year for the bulk of the regular season, and we're still likely in a position where we'll be leaning on Boykin/Duvernay/Proche more than would be ideal, and Watkins is only a 1-year investment, so in terms of immediate and long-term impact WR remains 1a./1b. with EDGE to me in terms of draft needs. 

Edited by SalvadorsDeli

You didn't even need to go that far back to find an example of needing to watch when a player plays in order to give them the best chance of contributing when it matters most - Pernell McPhee over the last two years is that guy too ;)