3rd Overall Pick - Trey Lance vs Justin Fields (with bonus third poll option)

N4L

Which QB?  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Which QB do you want the niners to draft?

• Trey Lance
    • Justin Fields
    • Neither, I would rather shoot N4L in the face with a shotgun by drafting Mac Jones
  2. 2. Should we keep Garoppolo for 2021

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/30/2021 at 01:00 AM

19 minutes ago, Forge said:

Want to see the really funny snap shot of this? This is hilarious...and yes, it's just one play, but is the epitome of what people are talking about with Mac sometimes and how much heavy lifting he had to do. This is insane: 

Wow. Look at those two guys that between the 45 and 50. The d-backs covering them are still bailing. But that second throw I talked about shows why he avoids those kinds of throws. Some of the other QBs might need to learn better footwork, or how to move more quickly between options, and they have some chance off succeeding at that. I just don't see how Jones ever gets an arm capable of those long sideline throws. This is a liability that I just can't get behind when I consider him as our third pick.

Just now, gridirongorilla said:

I'm going out on a limb and saying it's not Jones, and this is just the east coast media bias trying to will this pick into existence. Something feels off. *Shrug*

I have lots of respect for those of you who aren't buying in. The Twitterverse guys (akash, javi, etc) are still fully not believing it too. I'm still heavy slanted fields and Lance but I'm going to break on Wednesday or Tuesday. I can feel it 😂

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Nah, it is totally fair to use Watson/Mahomes/Allen etc because this isn't about Fields vs Jones or Lance vs Jones…..It's Maiocco saying dual threats or those QBs who extend plays or at times divert from the called play to make a play on their own isn't a Shanahan QB. He's not scouting Fields or talking specifically about his game, he is making a GENERAL statement. 

And that's just flat out stupid since Shanahan would take those guys mentioned in a heart beat over Jones…. Now, if Lance/Fields can become those types of caliber QBs is a whole another debate. 

I agree with what you're saying. What does "play within the system: mean anyway? If there is a sequence of reads to go through all of these QBs can do that and will do that. But what if no one is open, or the o-line fails to pick up a free rusher. Is the QB supposed to just sit there and try to go through his reads and take a sack, or maybe make something out of nothing. If anything Fields takes unnecessary sacks because he hangs in there still hoping the play as designed will develop.

Way back I used to post during our games about Kap bailing out of the pocket against the slightest pressure, or even phantom pressure. But that's not we're talking about with any of these other QBs. For Fields I've seen lots of plays where he steps up or sideways in the pocket and continues to run the play as designed even in the face of a big rush. If he does bail he doesn't default to run. He keeps his eyes downfield and has also made a lots of downfield throws while on the run.

So what in the world is this "we want a guy who plays within the system"? Just another way to argue the indefensible - that somehow it is better to have a guy with limited physical skills than a good athlete (assuming of course that guy can throw a pass well and to all parts of the field).

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

I have lots of respect for those of you who aren't buying in. The Twitterverse guys (akash, javi, etc) are still fully not believing it too. I'm still heavy slanted fields and Lance but I'm going to break on Wednesday or Tuesday. I can feel it 😂

Yea, I've completely given in. My plan for next week is to go to work, not do my job, and watch nothing but pro Mac Jones things to get me to feel better about it. Others should do the same.(maybe not neglecting their job though)

One of the concerning things to me either way is, if it is Jones, the niners have a titanic size leak somewhere.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

I agree with what you're saying. What does "play within the system: mean anyway? If there is a sequence of reads to go through all of these QBs can do that and will do that. But what if no one is open, or the o-line fails to pick up a free rusher. Is the QB supposed to just sit there and try to go through his reads and take a sack, or maybe make something out of nothing. If anything Fields takes unnecessary sacks because he hangs in there still hoping the play as designed will develop.

Way back I used to post during our games about Kap bailing out of the pocket against the slightest pressure, or even phantom pressure. But that's not we're talking about with any of these other QBs. For Fields I've seen lots of plays where he steps up or sideways in the pocket and continues to run the play as designed even in the face of a big rush. If he does bail he doesn't default to run. He keeps his eyes downfield and has also made a lots of downfield throws while on the run.

So what in the world is this "we want a guy who plays within the system"? Just another way to argue the indefensible - that somehow it is better to have a guy with limited physical skills than a good athlete (assuming of course that guy can throw a pass well and to all parts of the field).

That my friend is why these lazy analysis are so frustrating. I appreciated SIlver actually giving a fairly in-depth description of something the team may like. But just because Fields can make plays with his legs doesn't mean he can't sit in the pocket and deliver from there...Same with Lance. 

Good post! 

Just now, 49erurtaza said:

Back to back Alabama guys he's about to take.

Just now, SonsofFenris7 said:

I wouldnt mind that lol Najee would be nice lol

At that point might as well stack the offense as much as you can to replicate what Jones had in Alabama LOL.

On pure talent coming out, it is actually crazy he had more highly touted players he was playing with then what we currently have....And we have spent some high picks on WRs but both his WRs this year are going top 15 and last year his guys went top 20....His RB is going in the first round or high second round. Kind of crazy to think about that.....Similar to Burrow and how he had two, possibly three first round WRs and a first round RB. 

6 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Btw, you guys do know after Shanny takes Jones he will trade back in the first round to take a RB, right? I can't wait for the reactions after that happens LOL. 

We were going to take one last year so we might as well

Just now, Forge said:

We were going to take one last year so we might as well

Shanny really doesn't care about value at all....I kind of respect his ignorance, I really do lol. 

You know guys like Peters are rolling their guys or are in disgust when he does stuff like this. 

• Like 1