3rd Overall Pick - Trey Lance vs Justin Fields (with bonus third poll option)

N4L

Which QB?  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Which QB do you want the niners to draft?

• Trey Lance
    • Justin Fields
    • Neither, I would rather shoot N4L in the face with a shotgun by drafting Mac Jones
  2. 2. Should we keep Garoppolo for 2021

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/30/2021 at 01:00 AM

A few of my takeaways from this crazy pre-draft season:

1) The Mac Jones talk originated with Chris Simms, who came out right after the trade and said, essentially, "I know what Kyle likes. He traded up to get Mac Jones." Simms seems to have Jones rated higher than any other industry analyst, and draft commentators have gone with his opinion on the subject although Kyle has flatly denied that he shares his draft plans with the dude.

2) If what Chris Simms said is true, it would constitute an absolutely egregious leak on Kyle's part. This seems highly unlikely. A more plausible explanation is that the industry has simply been parroting Simms' pro-Mac stance because there is no actual information coming out of Santa Clara.

3) If Simms is just speculating (which seems to be the reasonable conclusion), what are the chances he's actually right? He has the single highest grade on Mac Jones out of any analyst I've seen. The idea that we should believe Kyle shares his valuation of Mac because they have matching initial tattoos and because of Mac's similarity to past QBs Kyle has worked with is silly, and incredibly superficial. Also, the idea that Kyle's ideal QB is Kirk freakin' Cousins was shot down directly by Kyle in a press conference the same day the trade was consummated.

4) If it looks like a duck...check out where the analysts are at these days. There is heat on Jones, Fields and Lance to go to the 49ers at #3, and lots of pundits are hedging or changing their projections as we get closer to the draft. Whichever of the QBs the 49ers are targeting, there is obviously a smokescreen here. The fact that opinions are so divided, and that there is so much contradictory information "leaking" to the press strongly suggests either intentional obfuscation or a hype machine overheated by pandemic boredom that is creating its own smoke. It doesn't really matter which is the case, but think about it...if this were an intentional smokescreen, wouldn't you say they've done an excellent job?

5) Either way, there is smoke on all three QB prospects at this point and no real sources to any of the rumors. This tells me that more-or-less everything said in the press to this point about what the 49ers will do at #3 should be treated as likely bull****, and we should form our own opinions based on what makes the most sense. That, to me, is clearly Justin Fields.

• Like 4

I keep changing my mind on who I think it’ll be. Still believe Mac is the best of them but I see the appeal of a more mobile guy with a cannon like the other two. Maybe it’s just my preference on offensive style, but I think a guy who can get it to the receivers in stride is the most important thing. Let the weapons be the highlight reel, not the QB with his legs. One step in the pocket that buys a split second can be the difference of a 20 yard pass play vs a QB who’s on the highlight reel because of a 10 yard run. 

Regardless, I’m trusting the team that whatever they’ve learned in interviews and all that leads them to the best player regardless of what us fans want. I also think as usual, the teams have much different grades than the fans and media. So I think we’ll all be scratching our heads when one of the three drops to 15-20 or something. Happens all the time. 

Regardless, not trying to argue for Mac or anything at this point, but honest question. If the niners go with him, what would he have to do for each of you to think it was worth the pick? Super bowl? Known as top 5 QB? 40 TD season? Fields and Lance are busts wherever they land? What’s the barometer you would go back and say he was worth trading up to 3. 

I’ll also add, I didn’t like this trade to begin with. I was roll with Jimmy. Didn’t think any of these were worth 3 1st rounders. Lawrence is the only one I’d trade that much (and then some) for. They better believe who ever it is is a talent that changes an offense for a long time. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Forge said:

😂 That's such an awkward picture. That's like one I would take. Mac Jones is the epitome of the everyman. 

I keep going back in my mind to Brady’s combine picture without his shirt and thinking about Kap without his shirt and thinking ok who cares about a QBs body. But for the love of God Mac, at least pretend you have some dumbbells in your basement or something. That’s probably an average bowlers body. 

9 minutes ago, straighthate said:

I keep changing my mind on who I think it’ll be. Still believe Mac is the best of them but I see the appeal of a more mobile guy with a cannon like the other two. Maybe it’s just my preference on offensive style, but I think a guy who can get it to the receivers in stride is the most important thing. Let the weapons be the highlight reel, not the QB with his legs. One step in the pocket that buys a split second can be the difference of a 20 yard pass play vs a QB who’s on the highlight reel because of a 10 yard run. 

It's really weird to me that the people who want Mac are the ones who keep bringing up the legs attribute of fields and Lance

1 minute ago, straighthate said:

I keep going back in my mind to Brady’s combine picture without his shirt and thinking about Kap without his shirt and thinking ok who cares about a QBs body. But for the love of God Mac, at least pretend you have some dumbbells in your basement or something. That’s probably an average bowlers body. 

😂 

Its a weird spot. On one hand I want to ding him for the lack of working out, on the other I want to applaud him for representing us all

9 minutes ago, straighthate said:

Regardless, I’m trusting the team that whatever they’ve learned in interviews and all that leads them to the best player regardless of what us fans want. I also think as usual, the teams have much different grades than the fans and media. So I think we’ll all be scratching our heads when one of the three drops to 15-20 or something. Happens all the time. 

Regardless, not trying to argue for Mac or anything at this point, but honest question. If the niners go with him, what would he have to do for each of you to think it was worth the pick? Super bowl? Known as top 5 QB? 40 TD season? Fields and Lance are busts wherever they land? What’s the barometer you would go back and say he was worth trading up to 3. 

I’ll also add, I didn’t like this trade to begin with. I was roll with Jimmy. Didn’t think any of these were worth 3 1st rounders. Lawrence is the only one I’d trade that much (and then some) for. They better believe who ever it is is a talent that changes an offense for a long time. 

I agree with a lot of your post, but what precludes say Fields being the guy that can get the ball to the recievers in stride? I feel there is alot of old thinking that is going into the thought process of the guys that prefer Mac.

1 minute ago, Ftn49 said:

I agree with a lot of your post, but what precludes say Fields being the guy that can get the ball to the recievers in stride? I feel there is alot of old thinking that is going into the thought process of the guys that prefer Mac.

He's the most accurate guy in the class as charted by football outsiders, Ben solak, ian wharton. Not sure about pff, but at the very least that's not an advantage for either

The narratives are out of control this draft season

10 minutes ago, Forge said:

It's really weird to me that the people who want Mac are the ones who keep bringing up the legs attribute of fields and Lance

Because from what I see, the physical attributes are much better (stronger arm, legs) from those two. The “potential” is better.  But from the eye test, Mac looks to me like a much better QB than the two of them. Way better than Lance and slightly better than Fields. I value accuracy and vision and pocket presence as the absolute must haves in a QB. Legs and a big arm are nice to haves but not a must. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Forge said:

He's the most accurate guy in the class as charted by football outsiders, Ben solak, ian wharton. Not sure about pff, but at the very least that's not an advantage for either

The narratives are out of control this draft season

Call me crazy but i think Fields is too accurate at times and has to learn to lead receivers more when he wants to succeed in the NFL. Hitting guys on the numbers is great in theory but i feel in general leading a guy by throwing it slightly to his left or right to an open space is more valuable than hitting your target perfectly.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ftn49 said:

Not sure what you’re implying by “old thinking” but for me it’s that I watched every snap this year of both QBs and felt like Mac always led his receiver perfectly. No hesitation from the receiver, like a baton was handed to them and they just kept going in stride. Didn’t see the same with Fields, although his accuracy was very good, particularly on deep balls. My problem with him is mainly pocket presence and I see a ton of third down sacks in his future. It’s the single most frustrating thing for me when watching Jimmy or Kap before him. When you want the QB to just take a step forward or to the side to avoid the rush and they move the wrong way right into the sack. That’s what I saw from Fields that I didn’t see at all from Mac. One of the best I can remember coming out of college at subtle moves, arm fakes, whatever to get an extra split second the receiver to get open. 

• Like 1