3rd Overall Pick - Trey Lance vs Justin Fields (with bonus third poll option)

N4L

Which QB?  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Which QB do you want the niners to draft?

• Trey Lance
    • Justin Fields
    • Neither, I would rather shoot N4L in the face with a shotgun by drafting Mac Jones
  2. 2. Should we keep Garoppolo for 2021

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/30/2021 at 01:00 AM

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

So Fields wasn't working with Beck until after the trade, correct? 

I thought he was working working with him the entire time. Definitely was prior to the trade.  Lance started with Avery

• Like 2

3. SAN FRANCISCO. Today’s the last day of substance in fact-finding for the Niners, with GM John Lynch and coach Kyle Shanahan expected in Fargo at North Dakota State quarterback Trey Lance’s second workout. The leader in the clubhouse is still Alabama’s Mac Jones, but that’s all Jones is. Credit to Lynch and Shanahan for keeping a tight lid on their preference. I keep coming back to Jones’ accuracy (his 77.4-percent season in 2020 is the most accurate in major-college history) and his touch downfield, with the best accuracy of the top five quarterbacks on passes thrown 20 yards or more downfield.

I think Shanahan will value accuracy and presence over athleticism and prefer Jones, but that’s not inside info—just my gut feeling.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/04/18/nfl-draft-rumors-fmia-peter-king/

Edited by 49ersfan

22 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

As I predicted, he's not coming off of Jones and no real reason to and he would hedge he wouldn't be surprised if it was Fields or Lance.

LIS, King nor anyone this year really matter in their predictions/opinions. King all but admitted no one can get anything out of Shanahan/Lynch and it's all guesswork at this point. 

Edited by J-ALL-DAY
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

King keeps pushing Trask to the first round...I wonder if he has intel on a team in the 20s drafting him? Who is the most likely to make that move? Pittsburgh? NO? 

New Orleans, I think. Maybe Tampa?

12 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

As I predicted, he's not coming off of Jones and no reason not to and he would hedge he wouldn't be surprised if it was Fields or Lance.

LIS, King nor anyone this year really matter in their predictions/opinions. King all but admitted no one can get anything out of Shanahan/Lynch and it's all guesswork at this point. 

Yeah, he's flat out saying they're keeping it a secret & he's guessing. And as you've theorised, its possible they haven't even made a decision yet. 

So him guessing its Jones, even though i'm sure its an educated guess, doesn't sway me at this point.

• Like 1

Just now, 49ersfan said:

Yeah, he's flat out saying they're keeping it a secret & he's guessing. And as you've theorised, its possible they haven't even made a decision yet. 

So him guessing its Jones, even though i'm sure its an educated guess, doesn't sway me at this point.

This just isn't the year to trust any of these guys. It's clear Shanny/Lynch are keeping it between themselves and no one really knows a thing. I bet by mid to late week, things are going to flip where more and more people in the national media will switch to Lance or Fields. 

2 hours ago, 49erurtaza said:

I will say why haven't teams done this before it's pretty freakin smart. Also feels like teams are going to complain. Imagine you have a guy on the inside feeding you his truthful opinion on all the top guys that you can draft. 

In a normal year, you wouldn't need to do this because you can bring in the prospect for a private workout. So this is just a unique work around. 

Beck is obviously a great QB coach, but you'd think we would trust our own QB coach more than we would trust him, otherwise you'd think we would want him as our full time QB coach lol 

I agree it's a super smart move on our part and certainly justifies the fact we traded up to #3 a month early

• Like 1

13 hours ago, 49ersfan said:

I could see Shanny wanting to take on the challenge of making this guy a star.

I would assume he feels the the same about anyone he selects. Unless he already feels like there was a star QB there to take that didn't need much of a challenge to turn into. He gave up all that draft capital. Hopefully it's based more on a logical plan than an egotistical prayer. Don't want to see Shanahan get the boot because he tried to flex on the rest of the league. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

8 hours ago, 49ersfan said:

8 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

This just isn't the year to trust any of these guys. It's clear Shanny/Lynch are keeping it between themselves and no one really knows a thing. I bet by mid to late week, things are going to flip where more and more people in the national media will switch to Lance or Fields. 

8 hours ago, Forge said:

Can't say I love it, especially the "leader in the clubhouse" thing. That comes off like he knows something, but later he says that it's not inside info with regards to the accuracy comment so I'm nott sure if that's all encompassing

"his gut feeling" right.. just like everyone else. I'll believe it when I see it.

1 hour ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

I would assume he feels the the same about anyone he selects. Unless he already feels like there was a star QB there to take that didn't need much of a challenge to turn into. He gave up all that draft capital. Hopefully it's based more on a logical plan than an egotistical prayer. Don't want to see Shanahan get the boot because he tried to flex on the rest of the league. 

This is ALWASYS my worry with Shanny though. Sometimes he's not the smartest guy in the room. But he often feels the need to prove that he is. Hope this isn't one of those times. We shall see...