3rd Overall Pick - Trey Lance vs Justin Fields (with bonus third poll option)

N4L

Which QB?  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Which QB do you want the niners to draft?

• Trey Lance
    • Justin Fields
    • Neither, I would rather shoot N4L in the face with a shotgun by drafting Mac Jones
  2. 2. Should we keep Garoppolo for 2021

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/30/2021 at 01:00 AM

1 hour ago, 49erurtaza said:

That's Jordan Matthews. 

So....

Trey Lance throwing to Matthews who has been on and off a 9er for like 3 years. Who is also a cousin to Jerry Rice, arguably the greatest niner ever. 

Lance is working with Beck at Shanny's request. Beck was a former QB with Shanny and a good friend. 

I don't think I need to say it, but I will anyway. 

Boom, Solved it. 

Lance is the pick at 3. 

3 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

Lance will be the betting favorite once there's a photo of him smiling with Shanahan

Depends on which hat Shanny is wearing. That's the kind of stuff you have to pay attention to. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, XScutterX said:

I listened to Cowherd last week talk about Alabama players and he made a pretty good point. He said that a lot of them peak in college, then go to the NFL and have average at best careers. I kind of buy that. If the niners do draft Jones, how good do you think he could get?

I think what you see now is what your going to get. It's also concerning since I do not think he is ready to be a day 1 starter. The way the niners play fake and the lack of snaps under center are things that need to be addressed.

Yes. Yes. Yes. I mentioned this a while back. We have to stop looking at what they are today and ask what they will be after 2 or 3 years in the league. Everyone knows the kind of kid that is just ahead of everyone else in high school, but never gets any  better because he just peaked early. Same thing happens for QBs going from college to the NFL. Guys won't get appreciably bigger or faster. Their arm strength relative to others won't change much. But there are plenty of thing to learn that can improve a guy's game. The quesiton is did these guys learn them all already? Who has the ability to keep learning and improving? Where will they top out?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

I've been wondering what people think of Jones' arm. "Not bad". But what does that mean? I watched both of his pro days and his long cross field outs had so much air under them that unless the receiver had 5 yards of separation, as Waddle and Smith often did, any NFL db would have plenty of time to recover.  I watched Wilson, Fields and Lance circle around to their left and while on the run to their left all three threw 60 yard passes right to the receiver's hands. I watched Jones attempt the same play and watched the ball go about 45 yards and fall far short of its target. You often hear people say about a QB "he can make all the throws". But I'm not sure Jones can. So exactly where does Jones' arm fall when compared to other NFL starting QBs? How many of them have weaker arms than Jones? If the answers happens to be "very few" then does it make sense to use three first round picks and more to draft a guy who would end up having one of the weakest arms in the league?

I'm not going QB by QB, but his arm is fine in the big picture...Just not special or top level. Now, you don't need that type of arm to be very good but it sure as hell helps. And in the playoffs in cold weather games, those with the big arms are the ones that prevail more times than none. 

Mac isn't by first option at #3, I've stated that plenty of times. I was just pointing out that there is good there and he will be successful in SF...........But not convinced he will be able to carry the team when the talent dips. 

• Like 1

Cowherd must be lurking on this board or at least on 49ers twitter because that man was speaking gospel of all the Jones to SF leaks! Brought up how Lynch/Shanny never show their hand and no one ever knew the big moves they were going to make until they made them and now he is supposed to believe that Jones to the Niners was a done deal....SIX WEEKS BEFORE THE DRAFT??? 

Lombardi being hell bent on saying Fields isn't going #3 is also stupid. Like who cares what OTHER teams are telling you, no way you know which way Shanny is leaning towards so don't make such a stupid statement. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Cowherd must be lurking on this board or at least on 49ers twitter because that man was speaking gospel of all the Jones to SF leaks! Brought up how Lynch/Shanny never show their hand and no one ever knew the big moves they were going to make until they made them and now he is supposed to believe that Jones to the Niners was a done deal....SIX WEEKS BEFORE THE DRAFT??? 

Lombardi being hell bent on saying Fields isn't going #3 is also stupid. Like who cares what OTHER teams are telling you, no way you know which way Shanny is leaning towards so don't make such a stupid statement. 

Cowherd's analysis has actually been spot on the entire time. First one in the media to notice how we solved all our pressing needs in FA, as well as all the big contracts we have and are about have (Warner, Bosa) and how tough it would be to fit Jimmy G's $25 million in there too 

He's made good points as well about how the Jones talk is probably just fluff, and he's predicted Lance as the pick in the past. But lets see 

4 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

Cowherd's analysis has actually been spot on the entire time. First one in the media to notice how we solved all our pressing needs in FA, as well as all the big contracts we have and are about have (Warner, Bosa) and how tough it would be to fit Jimmy G's $25 million in there too 

He's made good points as well about how the Jones talk is probably just fluff, and he's predicted Lance as the pick in the past. But lets see 

Oh yeah, he also said LAST YEAR that he heard the Niners were at least taking calls on Jimmy and listening to offers and weren't totally opposed of replacing him. 

He was dead on when he said the Niners have the roster where you need a QB on a rookie deal and they can't afford to keep Jimmy going forward...That's something a lot of us mentioned but he obviously was on top of it as well and probably heard some stuff. 

LIS yesterday, I don't expect these guys to come off of Jones as there is no reason to since they won't hear anything from Shanny/Lynch, but you are starting to now hear those in the media be a bit more hesitant and just flat out say they don't know anything concrete but are giving their best guess. 

11 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

LIS yesterday, I don't expect these guys to come off of Jones as there is no reason to since they won't hear anything from Shanny/Lynch, but you are starting to now hear those in the media be a bit more hesitant and just flat out say they don't know anything concrete but are giving their best guess. 

I said this in the NE forum, but it's actually really interesting if you think about it. 

National football journalists - Mac

Local beat writers - Mostly Lance (MM is the one standout exception there)

Low level bloggers but also national media (cowherd, etc) - Justin Fields. 

That really feels like how it's broken down lol 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Forge said:

I said this in the NE forum, but it's actually really interesting if you think about it. 

National football journalists - Mac

Local beat writers - Mostly Lance (MM is the one standout exception there)

Low level bloggers but also national media (cowherd, etc) - Justin Fields. 

That really feels like how it's broken down lol 

I believe Cowherd said Lance a few weeks ago? I may be mistaken, or he may have changed his mind. 

But thats a good observation. The bloggers were also adamant we would be trading for Stafford back in Jan and totally whiffed on that. 

1 minute ago, 49ersfan said:

I believe Cowherd said Lance a few weeks ago? I may be mistaken, or he may have changed his mind. 

But thats a good observation. The bloggers were also adamant we would be trading for Stafford back in Jan and totally whiffed on that. 

Its very, very weird how it's playing out. In some cases, you have guys like Sage Rosenfels just suddenly doing a complete 180 today back toward Mac, however this is mostly unusual. A lot more people are abandoning that ship or at the very least softening their stance. Robert Mays backed off a couple of weeks ago and was basically like, "this doesn't make sense" lol. But you still have a lot of guy, like J said, who are just dug in that it's Mac. I listened to Brinson today and he went in on the "they never leak anything and yet everyone knows 6 weeks before?" because he thinks its Fields. 

The one thing that Biderman brought up that I found interesting was the timing of when people started to back off or at least soften the stance on Mac; it was after the Darnold trade. I think he believes that the niners may have actually been putting it out there about Mac just because they weren't 100% sure the Jets would go QB (and not trade the pick) until they traded Darnold. Certainly makes sense, especially if you pair it with the report that we were interested in Darnold but were told that the Jets weren't ready yet. If our understanding of that situation was that there was still uncertainty, it really does make a lot of sense that we would willingly smoke screen the hell out of a mac jones selection. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

Cowherd is probably backing off on bringing up Lance since his daughter may or may not be dating him lol. 

• Like 1

So I don't know if there's been a bigger Justin Fields Stan then Akash, and its hilarious because I swear that the QB Collective is just trolling SF fans as they have QT'd Akash a couple of times for his Fields vids lol (I think it was a couple, I'm pretty sure that they QT'd him previously). 

25 minutes ago, Forge said:

The one thing that Biderman brought up that I found interesting was the timing of when people started to back off or at least soften the stance on Mac; it was after the Darnold trade. I think he believes that the niners may have actually been putting it out there about Mac just because they weren't 100% sure the Jets would go QB (and not trade the pick) until they traded Darnold.

Was that biderman or was that @N4L?? Lol 

• Like 1