3rd Overall Pick - Trey Lance vs Justin Fields (with bonus third poll option)

N4L

Which QB?  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Which QB do you want the niners to draft?

• Trey Lance
    • Justin Fields
    • Neither, I would rather shoot N4L in the face with a shotgun by drafting Mac Jones
  2. 2. Should we keep Garoppolo for 2021

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/30/2021 at 01:00 AM

13 minutes ago, sherm said:

I'm all in on Fields or bust...but we traded 3 1st rd picks for the QB. So if Lance needed 2 yrs of sitting and learning it wouldn't be the worst thing. Just not gonna buy a QB who skill set is above average at best. Remove that Bama helmet and we're having a different convo about the same prospect.

I'm still leaning Fields...but for all the reasons people think it can be Mac Jones is why I think it will be Lance. How raw he is plus his age and upside.. I can see Kyle wanting his own version of something like Mahomes/Allen. 

The thing is...we aren't talking about someone without that Bama helmet. He played where he played and it resulted in a very good statistical season, optically. Its up to Kyle to sift through the actual pros and cons of that game, find out what is real and whats not.  I don't think that Kyle is choosing a QB based considerably on what he can do out of structure. I simply don't think that's a big enough part of the equation, so its very easy to see why Mac's warts are lessened. His game also goes to hell after his first read, but if Shanny has him throwing to his first read 70-80% of the time (which he does), then is that as big of a deal? There is a world where Shanny just isn't overly concerned about the Mac negatives because his pros wash that out. 

I don't understand the Mac Jones thing because I don't know how he's viewed as a big enough upgrade on Jimmy to warrant that kind of investment. I don't see how you can perceive the upside of a top 6ish QB in this league based on that skillset. These traits that Mac doesn't have ultimately matter. I don't know why you invest this a guy where you basically have to have everything go right for him to be at the top of the pantheon. 

Ultimately, I'm hanging my hat on the idea that doing all this for Mac jones simply doesn't make sense LOL 

5 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Grazziano this morning said even though he's heard Mac Jones from people close to the situation, as of 48 hours ago, he was told no decision was made. And there are A LOT of signs pointing to Trey Lance being the pick. Then he went on to talking about Shanny's comments from December talking about Josh Allen and how Lance compares best to him.

Just keep waiting, the tide is about to turn very soon.................

The only problem is that all this stuff has come out within the last 48 hours LOL. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Forge said:

The only problem is that all this stuff has come out within the last 48 hours LOL. 

That's actually not a problem and actually shows that the team went into this open minded and weren't dead set on with the QB to select without seeing each QB in person and after talking to them. 

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

That's actually not a problem and actually shows that the team went into this open minded and weren't dead set on with the QB to select without seeing each QB in person and after talking to them. 

Yes, but if the decision has been made in the past 48 hours and now you're starting to see people stick or double down on Mac Jones, that would support a Mac Jones selection. The previous reports were always bad regardless of whether or not they were right or wrong. But the previous reports aren't necessarily indicative of the current ones either. There's no correlation there. Just because they were guessing before doesn't mean that they are guessing now, etc. 

Now, whether or not a decision has been made, I don't know. But at some point, truth likely seeps out. I'm just not sure if thats now, or two days before the draft. 

Ultimately, I don't think Graziano's info means anything because it's an incomplete picture outside of another person who has heard that Mac Jones appears to be the leader (at least as of 48 hours ago). 

Just now, Forge said:

Yes, but if the decision has been made in the past 48 hours and now you're starting to see people stick or double down on Mac Jones, that would support a Mac Jones selection. The previous reports were always bad regardless of whether or not they were right or wrong. But the previous reports aren't necessarily indicative of the current ones either. There's no correlation there. Just because they were guessing before doesn't mean that they are guessing now, etc. 

Now, whether or not a decision has been made, I don't know. But at some point, truth likely seeps out. I'm just not sure if thats now, or two days before the draft. 

Ultimately, I don't think Graziano's info means anything because it's an incomplete picture outside of another person who has heard that Mac Jones appears to be the leader (at least as of 48 hours ago). 

But Grazziano literally pointed out that NO decision has made. He just stated signs are pointing to Lance and if he was a betting man, he would wager some money at his odds.

This isn't proving that Lance will be the pick. No, that's not what I was implying. Just that the national reporters/writers were going to start to change their tone as the week progressed and we got closer to the draft. All the Jones stuff has been out for WEEKS and they weren't going to come off of that until they heard something concrete on Lance/Fields....But that's not going to come out since Shanny/Lynch aren't going to leak their pick...At least not yet. Maybe the day before the draft or a few days before the draft like with the Browns and Mayfield. 

None of these guys are certain what is going to happen like they are with the Jets and Wilson. They all went Jones at first because that is what they had been hearing......Before any of the pro days or zoom sessions with the QBs. If Shanny/Lynch are going to keep quiet, what exactly are they going to hear for them to change their prediction? Grazziano is basically hedging is bet and now going with his gut feeling..........Like Kiper with Fields even though he kept going with Jones just because that was the word on the street. 

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

But Grazziano literally pointed out that NO decision has made. He just stated signs are pointing to Lance and if he was a betting man, he would wager some money at his odds.

This isn't proving that Lance will be the pick. No, that's not what I was implying. Just that the national reporters/writers were going to start to change their tone as the week progressed and we got closer to the draft. All the Jones stuff has been out for WEEKS and they weren't going to come off of that until they heard something concrete on Lance/Fields....But that's not going to come out since Shanny/Lynch aren't going to leak their pick...At least not yet. Maybe the day before the draft or a few days before the draft like with the Browns and Mayfield. 

None of these guys are certain what is going to happen like they are with the Jets and Wilson. They all went Jones at first because that is what they had been hearing......Before any of the pro days or zoom sessions with the QBs. If Shanny/Lynch are going to keep quiet, what exactly are they going to hear for them to change their prediction? Grazziano is basically hedging is bet and now going with his gut feeling..........Like Kiper with Fields even though he kept going with Jones just because that was the word on the street. 

Ahh, gotcha. 

What program did he say it on? I'm assuming it was on tv? Or was it the radio? 

So now the question I have is do I want to flip the hedge LOL. 

So basically, when i was going to hedge Lance, the idea was to slightly dilute my Fields wager. A couple hundred on Lance would basically given me a break even on a Lance selection, but still give me +210 on Fields. 

But Lance is currently +500. Now I can flip the script...place more money on Lance than I did Fields and if Fields is the pick, he would break me even. The current money on Fields at +275 would be about 4K. 4K at +500 nets me 20K. Less my original Fields bet too. 

@N4L, your thoughts? 

23 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

I'd like to know who are these ppl close to the situation?

It's a really interesting question...but honestly, he's the first person that i know of who has even somewhat identified a source that may have knowledge of the situation for real...and yet he still didn't indicate who / what the source is lol. 

I swear to god it feels like the source for all this is Mike LOL 

• Like 2

Just now, Forge said:

It's a really interesting question...but honestly, he's the first person that i know of who has even somewhat identified a source that may have knowledge of the situation for real...and yet he still didn't indicate who / what the source is lol. 

I swear to god it feels like the source for all this is Mike LOL 

If the pick is Mac Jones, it will be because RGIII PTSD has destroyed brain cells. XD

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

DJ has been as baffled as us regarding the Mac Jones thing right from the start. 

Rightly so. I'm still baffled by it. I think Jones would be a fine QB and one you can definitely win with, but can he transcend an offense and take it to another level, I don't know. I feel more confident that Fields can do that and I feel like Lance will probably be able to do that. 

When I watch Fields, I get all of the feels of a franchise, elite QB. When I watch Lance, I see all the potential, but not as clearly as I do with Fields. When I watch Jones, I see a good QB who could fit nicely into an offense. I just don't get the same feelings with Jones that I do with Fields.

• Like 1

But how does Larry know they didn't meet with Justin's parents or Mac's parents??

I don't really see how they could have met with his parents aside from talking to his parents who were at his pro day for a few minutes. Don't really get this from Larry at all, especially considering they were in Fargo for literally like 2 hours and some change lol. 

• Like 1