3rd Overall Pick - Trey Lance vs Justin Fields (with bonus third poll option)

N4L

Which QB?  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Which QB do you want the niners to draft?

• Trey Lance
    • Justin Fields
    • Neither, I would rather shoot N4L in the face with a shotgun by drafting Mac Jones
  2. 2. Should we keep Garoppolo for 2021

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/30/2021 at 01:00 AM

Lance is the one that scares me the most, and ATM have him behind Mac. Was thinking no way we go Lance with the belief Fields has just as much upside and a so-called safer pick. Then again, I was dead wrong on Mahomes, Allen, and Herbert soooo.... let's go Lance!

Wait, so now is that going to jinx it or double jinx it. How about saying Mac, but really wanting Fields or Lance, hoping that reverse jinxes it or is it reverse jinx(w/o the -es) it. Man, this whole process is getting way too confusion...

20 hours ago, Forge said:

Most do have him at #3. Hell, I've seen him at #2 more than I've seen him 4 or 5 I'm pretty sure. I did forget that Mike silver said that there is a contingent of NFL people who believe it's fields

\

Path to the Draft today - 4 out of 4 of the guys ranking QBs had Jones 5th. Two of them had Fields ranked ahead of Wilson.

Oh, and when I mentioned Mike Shanahan coaching Elway I somehow forgot that he was the OC here when Steve Young won two MVPs and a Super Bowl. With Mike having guys like Elway and Young winning MVPs and SBs how could Mike conceivably have Jones rated above Fields and Lance?

3 minutes ago, XScutterX said:

The Shanahan's requesting Lance to work with John Beck is no small thing either. Beck has worked with Jimmy, Mullens, and Beathard... 

Not exactly a ringing endorsement lol.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, N4L said:

Thinking about the "Kyle is so arrogant he might actually draft mac jones" argument more thoroughly. 

Wouldnt it be more arrogant to take a guy like fields or lance who some dont view as this "genius" QB and develop them into a very smart and savvy QB? 

Why is taking the "smarter" QB seen as being arrogant? Shouldnt that guy be the easiest to coach? Wouldnt it be more arrogant to take a QB who needs more work? 

We have a timing offense. Fields has not shown consistency with his timing. The OSU offense is different than ours and he was asked to do different things. What he was asked to do, he did very well, but what we will ask him to do will be much different. Wouldnt kyle turning fields into a timing QB be seen as an even greater coaching accomplishment than simply drafting a guy who already does what you need him to do? Wouldnt starting Lance from day 1 and winning ballgames be a bigger accomplishment than doing it with the guy who played in the SEC and just won the national championship? 

I am not saying that this will be the reasoning we use to draft anyone. I am just pointing to the absurdity of that narrative - Kyle is arrogant and that means the 49ers will draft McCorkle Jones. Its a farce. Too many logical leaps that dont pass the smell test. Its taking an endpoint and inventing a narrative that fits just to try and explain something that doesnt make any sense. 

Every time I entertain the idea of drafting Mac, I always spin the logical wheel and circle back to the other QBs. 

I cant take another 8 days of this 

It would be arrogant because although people can understand the virtues that Jones has, there is virtually no one with any NFL scouting or management experience that rates Jones ahead of Fields. In fact virtually all of them when doing pure player ratings, not mocks, have Jones 5th. On the other hand as many or more of them have Fields rated second than have him rated 4th or 5th.

Rumor has it that our own scouting department is recommending someone other than Jones. So picking someone that you like against the advice of every other "expert" who can also evaluate QBs is the very definition of arrogance - which Shanny does have in abundance.

7 hours ago, Forge said:

The thing is...we aren't talking about someone without that Bama helmet. He played where he played and it resulted in a very good statistical season, optically. Its up to Kyle to sift through the actual pros and cons of that game, find out what is real and whats not.  I don't think that Kyle is choosing a QB based considerably on what he can do out of structure. I simply don't think that's a big enough part of the equation, so its very easy to see why Mac's warts are lessened. His game also goes to hell after his first read, but if Shanny has him throwing to his first read 70-80% of the time (which he does), then is that as big of a deal? There is a world where Shanny just isn't overly concerned about the Mac negatives because his pros wash that out. 

I don't understand the Mac Jones thing because I don't know how he's viewed as a big enough upgrade on Jimmy to warrant that kind of investment. I don't see how you can perceive the upside of a top 6ish QB in this league based on that skillset. These traits that Mac doesn't have ultimately matter. I don't know why you invest this a guy where you basically have to have everything go right for him to be at the top of the pantheon. 

Ultimately, I'm hanging my hat on the idea that doing all this for Mac jones simply doesn't make sense LOL 

People seem to make the argument that Shanny will scheme guys open so a guy like Jones can just get them the ball. The thing is that Fields is actaully more accurate and capable of making throws to parts of the field that Jones just can't reach. So if we are counting on SHanny scheming guys open then why not go with the guy who is more accurate and can hit every part of the field. Not to ention of course, make something happen with his feet when a play breaks down (or even when an RPO is called).

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

So if we are counting on SHanny scheming guys open then why not go with the guy who is more accurate and can hit every part of the field.

Excellent question!

Jones is 1st in completion percentage, Fields 3rd.  Jones is 1st in deep yards, Fields 20th.  Jones is 2nd in screen yardage, Fields a whopping 111st. 

What does that tell you?

9 minutes ago, Dr A W Niloc said:

Excellent question!

Jones is 1st in completion percentage, Fields 3rd.  Jones is 1st in deep yards, Fields 20th.  Jones is 2nd in screen yardage, Fields a whopping 111st. 

What does that tell you?

Why the hell did you reference screen yards? What does that prove exactly? 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Dr A W Niloc said:

Excellent question!

What does that tell you?

Absolutely nothing

16 minutes ago, Dr A W Niloc said:

Excellent question!

What does that tell you?

That Lance will be the pick. 

13 minutes ago, Dr A W Niloc said:

Excellent question!

Jones is 1st in completion percentage (tells me screens!), Fields 3rd.  Jones is 1st in deep yards (tells me YAC!), Fields 20th.  Jones is 2nd in screen yardage (see first and second  answer), Fields a whopping 111st. 

What does that tell you?

Lies, damned lies and statistics...