3rd Overall Pick - Trey Lance vs Justin Fields (with bonus third poll option)

N4L

Which QB?  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Which QB do you want the niners to draft?

• Trey Lance
    • Justin Fields
    • Neither, I would rather shoot N4L in the face with a shotgun by drafting Mac Jones
  2. 2. Should we keep Garoppolo for 2021

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/30/2021 at 01:00 AM

9 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

Bingo. You've got the point.  People are speculating about us taking a qb that almost no one in the business of evaluating qbs thinks is better than 5th 

That would be one way of looking at it, yes.  On a top team with possession receivers and great protection do you want a fleet-footed bomb thrower or a seam ripping machine?

More immediately, though, I was pointing out a glaring but not uncommon problem with Fields that Shanahan cannot overlook.

High Completion% + low yardage = ?

When you find an immovable object, you should just walk around it 😂😂

Curious for how people would treat a Lance selection. All in to start right away, or do you sit him? 

Don't think my opinion has changed. I want him getting reps. I think he could run a basic offense. Yes, it's probably tanking a year, however

• Like 1

I know people get nervous about him, but I'd be legitimately excited. His accuracy will never be Mac or fields though it could get better if the mechanics get cleaned, but I love everything else about him. 

That throw is bonkers, too. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Forge said:

I know people get nervous about him, but I'd be legitimately excited. His accuracy will never be Mac or fields though it could get better if the mechanics get cleaned, but I love everything else about him. 

My thing is can you fix his throwing motion? I'm at the point you have to accept it how it is. 

5 hours ago, Dr A W Niloc said:

That would be one way of looking at it, yes.  On a top team with possession receivers and great protection do you want a fleet-footed bomb thrower or a seam ripping machine?

More immediately, though, I was pointing out a glaring but not uncommon problem with Fields that Shanahan cannot overlook.

High Completion% + low yardage = ?

Playing fewer games is a thing. Just a heads up.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Forge said:

Curious for how people would treat a Lance selection. All in to start right away, or do you sit him? 

To me no matter who they draft, Jimmy should start from day 1. He's proven to us (and more importantly the rest of the roster) that he can lead the team to a SB, which has to be the goal.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Forge said:

When you find an immovable object, you should just walk around it 😂😂

Don't think my opinion has changed. I want him getting reps. I think he could run a basic offense. Yes, it's probably tanking a year, however

9-8, 7th seed with Lance starting? right?

• Like 1

Nah, I'd still start Jimmy and then go with Lance if/when Jimmy gets hurt. But I would still get him involved weekly and get him in some plays. 

So Mortenson said when the Niners made the trade they were 90/10 in favor of Jones and the other 10 being Lance. He doesn't know what it is now but he would bet on Jones being the pick. 

Add another one to Jones! 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Forge said:

I’d be excited no doubt, but also a little nervous. I would roll out Jimmy at least to start. When we were at 12 this is the exact situation I was suggesting; draft Lance and let him sit until he understands the offense. I think I said let him learn this season or until Jimmy gets hurt. 

6 hours ago, 49erurtaza said:

My thing is can you fix his throwing motion? I'm at the point you have to accept it how it is. 

I think you can do little tweaks to a QBs mechanics, but I think when you try to completely overhaul a QBs throwing mechanics is when your chances of ruining that QB skyrocket. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Nah, I'd still start Jimmy and then go with Lance if/when Jimmy gets hurt. But I would still get him involved weekly and get him in some plays. 

So Mortenson said when the Niners made the trade they were 90/10 in favor of Jones and the other 10 being Lance. He doesn't know what it is now but he would bet on Jones being the pick. 

Who the heck is leaking this stuff from our organization. And why.

7 hours ago, Forge said:

It annoys me that I continually watch these crazy impressive cuts of Lance and Fields doing super human things but then the commentary is always "yeah, that's great, but Mac Jones is sooooo smart and accurate! 77% OMGZ!" Fields is just as accurate and even more impressive. Lance isn't as accurate, but he's just as smart as the other two and supremely talented. 

We've seen time and time again that when a play breaks down for the 49ers, the play is over in a bad way. But then we watch our division rivals and the team that beat us in the Super Bowl have QBs who can improvise after the play breaks down and win. Mac Jones is a continuation of what we had. Fields and Lance is what could take us to the promise land. 

Mac Jones at #3 just never made any sense to me, even if I squint real hard to see it, it still doesn't feel right. In my mind, it feels like we'd be passing up on a bigger, stronger, faster Deshaun Watson and a carbon copy of Josh Allen for a slightly more athletic and more accurate Jimmy G. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I just can't with Mort. I'm honestly not sure if he's completely there in the mind right now given everything he's going through. I mean this in the best way possible, but I wish he would just take a break from TV because it feels like ESPN parading out a shell of a human with Mort. 

Listening to him ramble and slur his words, I have a hard time believing his "insider knowledge" right now.

Edited by NinerNation21

58 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Yay

2 hours ago, JIllg said:

Playing fewer games is a thing. Just a heads up.

Understood.  We've got to look at yards per game, bearing in mind that Mac had slightly more throws per game.  So, why does the QB with a significantly lower ADoT (97th versus 46th) have so many more passing yards per game?  What happened in Alabama that did not happen much in Ohio State?