3rd Overall Pick - Trey Lance vs Justin Fields (with bonus third poll option)

N4L

Which QB?  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Which QB do you want the niners to draft?

• Trey Lance
    • Justin Fields
    • Neither, I would rather shoot N4L in the face with a shotgun by drafting Mac Jones
  2. 2. Should we keep Garoppolo for 2021

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/30/2021 at 01:00 AM

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

He'd just as easily go to war with Mullens and beathard as he would watson.....

That is a dynamite way to operate lol

How has that worked out for us when we've had to start those two? Kind of losing some respect for some of these analysts throughout this process. 

• Like 1

Just now, Dr A W Niloc said:

Understood.  We've got to look at yards per game, bearing in mind that Mac had slightly more throws per game.  So, why does the QB with a significantly lower ADoT (97th versus 46th) have so many more passing yards per game?  What happened in Alabama that did not happen much in Ohio State?

This is a suggestion that it is YAC. And that Mac Jones is the primary person responsible for his YAC. And this is not reasonable. He is no more responsible for having a massive amount of YAC than Jimmy G is. YAC isn't a context independent stat. Quite the contrary. It's far more tied to both playcaller and playmakers than it is to quarterback performance. Pretty much any quarterback that plays in the Shanahan system or for Sarkisian with Alabama's playmakers is going to dominate at producing YAC. It's low ADoT, easy throws to wide open guys on slants, RPOs, flats, and orbits. Mac Jones is excellently accurate in short areas. So is Jimmy G. That doesn't make them the best at what they do or the main driving force behind the success of their offenses. 

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

He'd just as easily go to war with Mullens and beathard as he would watson.....

That is a dynamite way to operate lol

This is exactly why Lance will be the pick lol.

Come on man, just take a second and listen to all these guys. Sense isn't even being made now....Shanny LOVED going to war with Mullens/Beathard so much that he is going to use three first rounders on a QB this year.....That makes total sense!!!!!

Even though the money isn't mine, go ahead and put it down on Lance! Go get that 24k or however much it is!!!! 

2 minutes ago, JIllg said:

This is a suggestion that it is YAC. And that Mac Jones is the primary person responsible for his YAC. And this is not reasonable. He is no more responsible for having a massive amount of YAC than Jimmy G is. YAC isn't a context independent stat. Quite the contrary. It's far more tied to both playcaller and playmakers than it is to quarterback performance. Pretty much any quarterback that plays in the Shanahan system or for Sarkisian with Alabama's playmakers is going to dominate at producing YAC. It's low ADoT, easy throws to wide open guys on slants, RPOs, flats, and orbits. Mac Jones is excellently accurate in short areas. So is Jimmy G. That doesn't make them the best at what they do or the main driving force behind the success of their offenses. 

Kudos to you for trying to hold on 😂

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

This is exactly why Lance will be the pick lol.

Come on man, just take a second and listen to all these guys. Sense isn't even being made now....Shanny LOVED going to war with Mullens/Beathard so much that he is going to use three first rounders on a QB this year.....That makes total sense!!!!!

Even though the money isn't mine, go ahead and put it down on Lance! Go get that 24k or however much it is!!!! 

The sound bites get dumber every day

Just now, Forge said:

The sound bites get dumber every day

If the reasoning made more sense, I'd be more inclined to believe the Jones smoke....But how much of it even makes sense?? These guys are too deep into this where they can't even go back. 

Still hold tight, I believe by some time during the weekend, or early next week, the tide completely turns to Lance. I saw he was +400 today while Fields was +130. I couldn't believe that lol. 

3 minutes ago, JIllg said:

Considering we have 3 good YACers with Kittle/Samuel/Aiyuk, not certain it really matters.

3 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

If the reasoning made more sense, I'd be more inclined to believe the Jones smoke....But how much of it even makes sense?? These guys are too deep into this where they can't even go back. 

Still hold tight, I believe by some time during the weekend, or early next week, the tide completely turns to Lance. I saw he was +400 today while Fields was +130. I couldn't believe that lol. 

I just took more action on both of them. Lance is +500 on betMGM right now

20 minutes ago, Dr A W Niloc said:

Understood.  We've got to look at yards per game, bearing in mind that Mac had slightly more throws per game.  So, why does the QB with a significantly lower ADoT (97th versus 46th) have so many more passing yards per game?  What happened in Alabama that did not happen much in Ohio State?

Genuine question here, what do Mac's stats look like when you take out all throws to Smith?

Everyone keeps saying only reason they think it's Mac is because of his floor and he cna play right now. Yet Kyle has stated this isn't about this season but the future. Aka reason we are keeping Jimmy this season. Where the heck is everyone getting there logic? Lol

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Forge said:

And that, to me, sort of illustrates the beauty of all this. There’s no right or wrong way to look at a quarterback. Every team has its own way of doing it that reflects what it values in the position.

And yes, stylistically, Jones does match up with some of what Kyle Shanahan’s succeeded with at the position in the past. Jones’s rep for having a great head for the game isn’t playing off old stereotypes—it’s who he is. In the MMQB column, we gave you the story of a team that did an install with him a couple of months ago. The other day, they asked him if he remembered the first play they put in front of him.

Jones spit the whole thing back out at them. Remember, this is after two months chock full of Zoom meetings with teams, media appearances, training, etc. I can tell you the team was floored, and it’s not like they didn’t know he was smart to begin with.

Now, we can argue until we’re blue in the face about how much having that kind of mind for the game and recall matters. But you can’t argue it doesn’t matter. It does. And Jones being football brilliant is going to matter as the Niners continue to work out the quarterback decision and approach next Thursday’s finish line.

But other things will matter, too, and that was the whole point of the Niners’ getting the trade done a month early—it’s allowed them to complete the picture on three guys they believe are worthy of the pick. Which takes us to where my conversation with the above executive wound up going next. “The Shanahan offense has worked with a multitude of types of quarterbacks,” he said. “But it really flourished when it had a big athlete with a big arm like John Elway running it. I just think you’re moving up for the special athlete.”

We’ll know soon enough whom the Niners moved up for.

That is so damn impressive!  Not sure how many times we've heard of something like that from a prospect. 

Say what you will about his wheels and arm, but this guy has the brain and that is the most important part of QB, IMO.

Doesn't mean we will take Jones, but I will be very pleased if we do. If we take Lance, I will hope he can become Josh Allen very fast. If it's Fields, I will hope he is similar to Watson very quickly. 

Now, if the Jets pass on Wilson, I will welcome him with open arms and tears of joy! 

6 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Considering we have 3 good YACers with Kittle/Samuel/Aiyuk, not certain it really matters.

It does when you're trying to use it as a driving force to evaluate a quarterback

Just now, Chrissooner49er said:

That is so damn impressive!  Not sure how many times we've heard of something like that from a prospect. 

Say what you will about his wheels and arm, but this guy has the brain and that is the most important part of QB, IMO.

Doesn't mean we will take Jones, but I will be very pleased if we do. If we take Lance, I will hope he can become Josh Allen very fast. If it's Fields, I will hope he is similar to Watson very quickly. 

Now, if the Jets pass on Wilson, I will welcome him with open arms and tears of joy! 

They all have the brain. That's the problem. Mac is smart as hell, elite processor... Game goes to hell after his first read. How does that happen?