3rd Overall Pick - Trey Lance vs Justin Fields (with bonus third poll option)

N4L

Which QB?  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Which QB do you want the niners to draft?

• Trey Lance
    • Justin Fields
    • Neither, I would rather shoot N4L in the face with a shotgun by drafting Mac Jones
  2. 2. Should we keep Garoppolo for 2021

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/30/2021 at 01:00 AM

44 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

Here's how i think the QB's shake out

1. Jags - Lawrence

2. Jets - Wilson

3. 49ers - Lance

4. Broncos (trade) - Fields

7. Pats (trade) - Jones

Maybe someone like the Bears, WFT, Steelers, or Saints trade down and take a guy like Trask, Mond, or Mills late in the 1st to get that 5th year option

As a Broncos fan, I don’t think our new GM George Paton is going to make a big, bold move for a QB in the draft. The Broncos will a) be sold in the next 9 months and b) Vic Fangio and staff will be evaluated this year.

Thus, I doubt Paton drafts a QB and then, when we have a new owner and almost assuredly a new HC and OC next year, he doesn’t want to have a rookie QB on the roster he gave up the farm for and have to tell prospective HC/OC candidates they’re married to that QB. 

If (when) Drew Lock doesn’t make major strides this year, Paton can clean house and hire his HC and OC (not Elway’s) and have them on board to pick the new QB. 

Just my $0.02. And I like the Niners as well - I just wish Kyle was our HC and not yours - but I fully expect him to pick Tray Lance. Don’t believe the Mac Jones, aka Mr. Honda Civic, talk one bit. 

Edited by AnAngryAmerican
  • Like 3

33 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49ers/mac-jones-glowing-scouting-report-explains-49ers-draft-interest

Worth a look, especially to those who think Mac is over-rated. Granted, no elite physical traits. But other traits are worth considering. 

Definitely things to consider from actual NFL coaches, instead of us wannabe scouts. 🤪

You can pull this stuff for all of them though.  If he goes three, I think he's vastly overdrafted. It feels very Daniel Jones-esque to me personally, and that has been one that the media draftnik online guys have won comfortably (so far...weirdly I am not so sure that he may not have a surge). Nobody here is denying that he has quality traits. That is not something anyone here is going to argue. I do argue how good some of those traits are in comparison to others (thats the subjective part) and frankly, overall I think he does less things well than the others. Just as a general rule of thumb, I dont think I want the guy who can do the least. 

There's always a part of me that laughs when people pull out the "we are just wannabe scouts and they are pros" angle. This coach we have faith in drafted CJ Beathard after trading up for him in round 3...I had him as a UDFA. Point me. I took Godwin over Spoon. Point me. Some people took AJ Brown over Deebo, point them. This regime arguably made the worst draft pick in franchise history (as did I), where as other people would not have. 

I don't know that there's anything that flat out supports the notion that any team is better at on field player evaluation than guys online who watched a lot of stuff. Am I always right? nope. Are the 49ers? Nope. 

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

Where does this come from? Lol 

He’s just very unexciting. He’s efficient and safe and low-risk, not great but not bad either. I don’t think Kyle gave up 3 firsts to take a Honda Civic when he could have a Ferrari. Sure the Ferrari is more likely to crash but a pro driver like Kyle should be able to take it around the track better than most. 

• Like 8

8 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

He’s just very unexciting. He’s efficient and safe and low-risk, not great but not bad either. I don’t think Kyle gave up 3 firsts to take a Honda Civic when he could have a Ferrari. Sure the Ferrari is more likely to crash but a pro driver like Kyle should be able to take it around the track better than most. 

Hell Yeah Reaction GIF

35 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49ers/mac-jones-glowing-scouting-report-explains-49ers-draft-interest

Worth a look, especially to those who think Mac is over-rated. Granted, no elite physical traits. But other traits are worth considering. 

Definitely things to consider from actual NFL coaches, instead of us wannabe scouts. 🤪

This is what I think people are forgetting. We have Jimmy G. We don't need someone to come in and play right away. This whole narrative is just batty imo. 

"In my mind, if I had to win right now, this year, he’s the most advanced quarterback of any of them," the coach told Feldman.

giphy.gif

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Love this! Going to use Mr. honda Civic thats a great description. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

For real. Take Trevor Lawrence out of the draft and It's a two-way tie for #1 and #2 with Wilson and Fields. 

He's is much more polished in the pocket than Murray was. He's more than capable of running a conventional pro offense than Murray at this stage. Kyler was/is just so damn slippery and elusive once you get him off his spot and out of the pocket. His second reaction plays are what makes him hard to deal with as a QB. But he'll have to develop further than that to push into that next tier of QBs.

• Like 1

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

@Forge DraftKings has Lance at +400 right now....You may not make 24k out of this, but you can still make some good money out of this LOL.

Can't do draftkings or FanDuel from Nevada, unfortunately. But thanks for looking out lol 

https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/146362-pelissero-jones-good-draft-49ers-keep-trey-lance/

"[K]eep an eye here on Trey Lance because I've spoken to a number of relatively plugged-in people in recent days who all say Lance has to be at least a consideration at No. 3," Pelissero said. "He had his second pro day on Monday. I've talked to people who watched that pro day either live or on tape. All say that it was better than the first pro day.

"And at that pro day, Ian, Lance was running some Kyle Shanahan staple drills, concepts, throws, because the 49ers wanted to make sure, with no private workouts allowed because of COVID restrictions, that they got the best look possible of one of the mystery men in this draft."

"Mac Jones is someone who is brilliant, has a photographic memory, the kind of mind that Kyle Shanahan — really any quarterback coach — would like," Rapoport said. "Is his ceiling a little lower than some? Maybe. But if you're getting a starter for the next 10 years, that would be a lot to argue with.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Forge said:

I don't believe that any of the people in this thread who prefer Mac Jones are Alabama fans, so they do exist. There are at least 3 niner fans that I know of in this thread alone, and if you go to the main board thread, there are several people who said the choice should be Mac. 

Yeah. I know. But my point is that there seems to be some kind of mass hysterical delusion going on caused by the trade because I'd be hugely surprised if those people had Jones third in any personal big board they had, or if they mocked him going at 3 if they had a pre-trade mock. Not only have some people updated their thinking about Jones but they are not even aware that's happened.

Just now, Forge said:

You can pull this stuff for all of them though.  If he goes three, I think he's vastly overdrafted. It feels very Daniel Jones-esque to me personally, and that has been one that the media draftnik online guys have won comfortably (so far...weirdly I am not so sure that he may not have a surge). Nobody here is denying that he has quality traits. That is not something anyone here is going to argue. I do argue how good some of those traits are in comparison to others (thats the subjective part) and frankly, overall I think he does less things well than the others. Just as a general rule of thumb, I dont think I want the guy who can do the least. 

There's always a part of me that laughs when people pull out the "we are just wannabe scouts and they are pros" angle. This coach we have faith in drafted CJ Beathard after trading up for him in round 3...I had him as a UDFA. Point me. I took Godwin over Spoon. Point me. Some people took AJ Brown over Deebo, point them. This regime arguably made the worst draft pick in franchise history (as did I), where as other people would not have. 

I don't know that there's anything that flat out supports the notion that any team is better at on field player evaluation than guys online who watched a lot of stuff. Am I always right? nope. Are the 49ers? Nope. 

PFF did a study comparing the hit rate and overall WAR of NFL teams compared to the external consensus. Both were about the same. Pretty much humans get the gist of evaluating football players to an equal extent. 

• Like 1