Jump to content

3rd Overall Pick - Trey Lance vs Justin Fields (with bonus third poll option)


Which QB?  

90 members have voted

  1. 1. Which QB do you want the niners to draft?

    • Trey Lance
      13
    • Justin Fields
      48
    • Neither, I would rather shoot N4L in the face with a shotgun by drafting Mac Jones
      29
  2. 2. Should we keep Garoppolo for 2021

    • Yes
      62
    • No
      26

This poll is closed to new votes

  • Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/30/2021 at 01:00 AM

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

Who does that sound like? 

To me the parts about throwing the ball sound like Justin Fields. The processing the field part could be Mac or Lance based on the reports. Idk I think Fields would process our offense just fine, but I don’t know their thought processes. Is this a trick question? I feel like the answer you are looking for is Lance. He’s been said to be very bright, came from a pro style offense, and obviously has a live arm. But I’ve also read that Fields is super bright, so who knows. I think you could tailor those comments to whomever - well except the effortless throwing and so fourth to Mac.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, GW21 said:

To me the parts about throwing the ball sound like Justin Fields. The processing the field part could be Mac or Lance based on the reports. Idk I think Fields would process our offense just fine, but I don’t know their thought processes. Is this a trick question? I feel like the answer you are looking for is Lance. He’s been said to be very bright, came from a pro style offense, and obviously has a live arm. But I’ve also read that Fields is super bright, so who knows. I think you could tailor those comments to whomever - well except the effortless throwing and so fourth to Mac.

Yeah, as much as I hate to admit it, a lot sounded like Jones

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, big9erfan said:

Stats, stats, stats!

     As they say, the other word for "stats" is "facts".  We're not talking about complex metrics.  We're talking about completion rates and yardage, which appear in every game report:  "Such-and-such QB was 22-for-31 for 213 yards."

     Stats are only a beginning.  When we see the Yards After Catch that Jones generates what question comes to mind?  When we see Justin's startling inability to generate them what questions arise?  We go to the tape, find those expectations confirmed, and draw inescapable conclusions.

     We dwell on the few things we think Jones doesn't/can't do, when the things that Fields doesn't/can't do are far more basic and relevant to the 49er experience.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Dr A W Niloc said:

     As they say, the other word for "stats" is "facts".  We're not talking about complex metrics.  We're talking about completion rates and yardage, which appear in every game report:  "Such-and-such QB was 22-for-31 for 213 yards."

     Stats are only a beginning.  When we see the Yards After Catch that Jones generates what question comes to mind?  When we see Justin's startling inability to generate them what questions arise?  We go to the tape, find those expectations confirmed, and draw inescapable conclusions.

     We dwell on the few things we think Jones doesn't/can't do, when the things that Fields doesn't/can't do are far more basic and relevant to the 49er experience.

So he should be the #1 pick...his stats are the best...but he's not going #1, so I guess stats aren't everything. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

Who does that sound like? 

BTW, this is mostly Mac Jones. Especially if feet is a really big thing. Definitely not Fields and Lance has this thing where he overextends his back leg and he loses his leveling sometimes. 

The only thing that isn't Mac, humorously enough, is the play action game. 

If I had to bank a guess on who the selection is based on this stuff, I'd say 50/50 Lance or Mac. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Dr A W Niloc said:

     As they say, the other word for "stats" is "facts".  We're not talking about complex metrics.  We're talking about completion rates and yardage, which appear in every game report:  "Such-and-such QB was 22-for-31 for 213 yards."

     Stats are only a beginning.  When we see the Yards After Catch that Jones generates what question comes to mind?  When we see Justin's startling inability to generate them what questions arise?  We go to the tape, find those expectations confirmed, and draw inescapable conclusions.

     We dwell on the few things we think Jones doesn't/can't do, when the things that Fields doesn't/can't do are far more basic and relevant to the 49er experience.

You still won't acknowledge the fact that Smith and Waddle have a LOT more to do with YAC than Mac does

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, GW21 said:

fgkiom43un521.jpg

🤣🤣 that dude looks like my neighbor.. only in baseball can a professional athlete have that body 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Forge said:

BTW, this is mostly Mac Jones. Especially if feet is a really big thing. Definitely not Fields and Lance has this thing where he overextends his back leg and he loses his leveling sometimes. 

The only thing that isn't Mac, humorously enough, is the play action game. 

If I had to bank a guess on who the selection is based on this stuff, I'd say 50/50 Lance or Mac. 

All except the parts about being able to throw the ball. Kind of important for a QB.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Forge said:

So he should be the #1 pick...his stats are the best...but he's not going #1, so I guess stats aren't everything. 

     As the one confirms the other, stats and tape are everything.

     We weren't asked to compare Mac Jones with Trevor Lawrence or Zach Wilson so we can leave that for another thread.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Forge said:

BTW, this is mostly Mac Jones. Especially if feet is a really big thing. Definitely not Fields and Lance has this thing where he overextends his back leg and he loses his leveling sometimes. 

The only thing that isn't Mac, humorously enough, is the play action game. 

If I had to bank a guess on who the selection is based on this stuff, I'd say 50/50 Lance or Mac. 

But that aint Jimmy either and that's been his QB for the last 3 years. Jimmy's feet are awful though quick. 

Footwork can be taught and tied to scheme if repped enough. People said the same thing about guys like Watson and Herbert. That's not a game changer imo.

Edited by 757-NINER
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, 757-NINER said:

But that aint Jimmy either and that's been his QB for the last 3 years. Jimmy's feet are awful though quick. 

Footwork can be taught and tied to scheme if repped enough. People said the same thing about guys like Watson and Herbert. That's not game changer imo.

Steve Young said that’s when his game took off as well. His coach? Mike Shanahan. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, adamq said:

You still won't acknowledge the fact that Smith and Waddle have a LOT more to do with YAC than Mac does

They do, but we aren't talking about drafting Smith or Waddle at #3.  I'm sure no one is suggesting that the QB has nothing to do with YAC.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, GW21 said:

All except the parts about being able to throw the ball. Kind of important for a QB.

He can throw it just fine. He doesn't have a cannon. Joe Burrow can't throw either and he was the first pick overall last year lol.  Lance has a cannon and spotty accuracy. Which is more valuable? I don't want to knock Mac more than I have to. I mean, there are some things that I hope that Kyle is seeing. Like this: 

Watching this should be a *huge, huge huge* flag with regards to the arm. But I don't know if Shanny cares. 

If I had to guess, just based on that post who the pick would be, I'd rank them like this: 

1. Lance

2. Mac

3. Fields

And frankly, I don't think Fields would be all that close to the other 2. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...