3rd Overall Pick - Trey Lance vs Justin Fields (with bonus third poll option)

N4L

Which QB?  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Which QB do you want the niners to draft?

• Trey Lance
    • Justin Fields
    • Neither, I would rather shoot N4L in the face with a shotgun by drafting Mac Jones
  2. 2. Should we keep Garoppolo for 2021

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/30/2021 at 01:00 AM

7 minutes ago, Forge said:

Everyone that is even remotely reliable, particularly with regards to the 49ers (which is kind of a big deal) says Mac. It sounds so crazy, but what can you do? There are people who really like Mac Jones. I don't see it. I think he's okay, but others really, really like him.

Those same guys were saying Jones for weeks though. So I'm inclined to believe those that are talking, either aren't going to be the ones making the final decision or are putting out a smokescreen. Because now what they are saying is very detailed like Silver so you know he got it from someone in the Niners organization....But it was also reported that Shanny/Lynch aren't letting anyone know of their decision, or at least some of the coaches. So do you think Silver got that quote from either Shanny or Lynch? Doubt it.

Still expecting more murmurs of Lance or Fields to pick up over the weekend. I mean there are plenty already thinking it isn't Jones but the national media is all in on Jones. McShay even pointed out something doesn't seem right there. It's kind of like they WANT to leak this out to everyone and want everyone thinking it is Jones. 

8 minutes ago, Forge said:

Everyone that is even remotely reliable, particularly with regards to the 49ers (which is kind of a big deal) says Mac. It sounds so crazy, but what can you do? There are people who really like Mac Jones. I don't see it. I think he's okay, but others really, really like him.

I understand what people like about Jones. But is it possible that it just means he's ahead of other qbs in his development? When guys are ahead of others in their development there is always the chance that they have already topped out while other guys are still growing and improving.

Kap could never see the field, and never got any better. But Fields makes good reads every game. SO he has some ability there. Is he topped out, or with more coaching can he continue to improve in that area. I still think you have to take a "franchise qb" based on how you project him to develop, not on what he is at this point in time.

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Those same guys were saying Jones for weeks though. So I'm inclined to believe those that are talking, either aren't going to be the ones making the final decision or are putting out a smokescreen. Because now what they are saying is very detailed like Silver so you know he got it from someone in the Niners organization....But it was also reported that Shanny/Lynch aren't letting anyone know of their decision, or at least some of the coaches. So do you think Silver got that quote from either Shanny or Lynch? Doubt it.

Still expecting more murmurs of Lance or Fields to pick up over the weekend. I mean there are plenty already thinking it isn't Jones but the national media is all in on Jones. McShay even pointed out something doesn't seem right there. It's kind of like they WANT to leak this out to everyone and want everyone thinking it is Jones. 

Not Silver. He's been one of the few National guys that has kept the window open for Fields. And remember, the expectation was that the early Mac Jones people would soften their stance...that hasn't really happened. I mean, maybe a tiny bit from guys like Schefty / Ian in verbiage, but they still very much think Mac, andit seems like we've had more anti mac guys flip over to him than the other way around.  It's such a weird situation because nobody really "gets it". Like, Daniel Jeremiah is kind of flummoxed when he thinks about it. Robert Mays too. It doesn't make any sense for most people, which is a stance I wholly endorse lol. It's like Tyson Alualu lol. 

Everyone knows that this doesn't smell right at all...and most don't think it makes any sense whatsoever (outside of those that are big Jones guys like Simms). But it legitimately won't go away. It's so freaking weird man lol. 

Are we sure that they still haven't told anyone inside the organization? That report was a while ago. We just assume its still true. 

• Like 1

This seriously reminds me of the Daniel Jones thing. There was all that talk about Jones and nobody really bought the idea that they would take him at 6 (especially since they had another first round pick that year) and then sure enough, they did it. Jones at 6 didn't make any sense either. 

• Like 1

Still not buying the Mac Jones rumors. Maybe Im in denial, but I am holding firm to my belief that it makes no sense given that we have two guys with more upside that will be available. 

Beck has worked with 3 QBs: Wilson, Lance, Fields. Hell, we asked Lance to hire him. 

He did not work with Mac Jones. 

That speaks volumes. If it was a normal year, that wouldnt move the needle all that much, but when we are unable to have private work outs, it means a lot more. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

Not Silver. He's been one of the few National guys that has kept the window open for Fields. And remember, the expectation was that the early Mac Jones people would soften their stance...that hasn't really happened. I mean, maybe a tiny bit from guys like Schefty / Ian in verbiage, but they still very much think Mac, andit seems like we've had more anti mac guys flip over to him than the other way around.  It's such a weird situation because nobody really "gets it". Like, Daniel Jeremiah is kind of flummoxed when he thinks about it. Robert Mays too. It doesn't make any sense for most people, which is a stance I wholly endorse lol. It's like Tyson Alualu lol. 

Everyone knows that this doesn't smell right at all...and most don't think it makes any sense whatsoever (outside of those that are big Jones guys like Simms). But it legitimately won't go away. It's so freaking weird man lol. 

Are we sure that they still haven't told anyone inside the organization? That report was a while ago. We just assume its still true. 

That depends on your theory if you believe they knew who they wanted to take from the time they made the trade.

If you think they did know, then sure, there is a chance it got out to someone in the organization or it was told to someone and then they talked to the national reporters.

If you don't think they knew at the time of the trade, then I don't think they have told anyone. I don't even know if they have made a final decision to be honest. I don't think Shanny is going to just leak this out this soon. Maybe the night before the draft or the day before, but not before IMO.....I'm referring to Kyle of course. Can't comment about Mike lol. 

Per the Browns forum and some research, Mayfield didn't start getting mocked or predicted to the Brown until just two days before the draft. Before that everyone assumed it was Darnold or Allen. 

@Forge I know you said the stance hasn't softened, but just keep paying attention to what happens late this weekend and early next week. That's where I suspect things will start to change.

What doesn't seem right to me is how majority of the national reporters keep saying Jones while thinking Fields isn't really even in the conversation....Almost seems strategic by the FO lol. 

50 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

Better get my brown paper bag ready....

Maybe you should, but I'll be super cool with it. BTW, that analysis of Mac is spot on. It's like the guy has eyes in the back of his head. Pretty certain Shanny is sick of QBs taking sacks. This is one way to combat them.

Doesn't necessarily mean the choice will be Mac, though. 

I don't necessarily think working with Beck is the end all be all, but clearly Shanny respects his opinion so he certainly wanted both to work with him to get another opinion on this. Granted, everyone can tell him Fields or Lance and he still may not give a damn and still go with Mac lol. 

1 minute ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Maybe you should, but I'll be super cool with it. BTW, that analysis of Mac is spot on. It's like the guy has eyes in the back of his head. Pretty certain Shanny is sick of QBs taking sacks. This is one way to combat them.

I will admit that the idea of taking Jones over Fields has soured me more on him than what is fair. He does make some pretty throws and if we draft him he will probably be an upgrade over Jimmy. It just leaves a lot to be desired as far as big time physical traits. I think a lot of the mental stuff can be learned at least to a certain degree. You can't teach some of the stuff Fields has. I'm really holding out hope Fields is our guy, but it's become clear throughout this process that no one really knows with as much flip-flopping as there has been. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

He's very good at pocket manipulation within the tackle box and his feet are clean for sure. Once you get outside of that, its a little iffy, but if you can keep him upright back there and within a certain contained space (not a guarantee given how bad the offensive line is at pass protection), he'll fire darts all day in the short areas. It would be very similar looking to Jimmy but with far, far better pocket awareness (resulting in fewer sacks which would make the line look better) 

• Like 1

One thing I keep coming back to is how wrong these experts have been with us all off-season: We’re trading for Stafford, we’re trading for Wentz, we’re trading for Darnold, we’re trading for Bridgewater, we aren’t moving up in the draft. It doesn’t seem as if anyone really has a grip on what we are doing. It’s kind of like @J-ALL-DAY was talking about before. Nobody has been talking about Fields. Kind of makes you wonder.

1 hour ago, N4L said:

Still not buying the Mac Jones rumors. Maybe Im in denial, but I am holding firm to my belief that it makes no sense given that we have two guys with more upside that will be available. 

Beck has worked with 3 QBs: Wilson, Lance, Fields. Hell, we asked Lance to hire him. 

He did not work with Mac Jones. 

That speaks volumes. If it was a normal year, that wouldnt move the needle all that much, but when we are unable to have private work outs, it means a lot more. 

I don't think it's denial. It's trying to reconcile two very different ideas in your head. One, that Mac Jones makes no sense here with the second being that everyone says he is the choice. That doesn't apply to everyone, of course, but for those it does, its insanely difficult to try and figure out how a move that makes no sense appears to be the most likely outcome based on people in the know. 

The Beck thing could be overblown. We may not have had time to set that up given when the trade happened and the fact that we didn't want to reveal we were looking to go QB. It could also be a situation where we felt that there was no reason for him to work with Beck, but I'm not buying that. More or less just positing it as a possibility. But the beck thing is another reason why the Mac Jones noise is really hard to digest. On the surface, you would think that it means a toooooooooooooooooooooooon lol. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

I don't think it's denial. It's trying to reconcile two very different ideas in your head. One, that Mac Jones makes no sense here with the second being that everyone says he is the choice. That doesn't apply to everyone, of course, but for those it does, its insanely difficult to try and figure out how a move that makes no sense appears to be the most likely outcome based on people in the know. 

The Beck thing could be overblown. We may not have had time to set that up given when the trade happened and the fact that we didn't want to reveal we were looking to go QB. It could also be a situation where we felt that there was no reason for him to work with Beck, but I'm not buying that. More or less just positing it as a possibility. But the beck thing is another reason why the Mac Jones noise is really hard to digest. On the surface, you would think that it means a toooooooooooooooooooooooon lol. 

Besides Beck working with Fields & Lance but not Mac, our actual QB coach Scranganello didn't see Jones once. And just today Barrows said that 4 out of 4 agents he talked to think its Fields. 

The Jones stuff doesn't make any sense. But who knows. 

Edited by 49ersfan

5 minutes ago, GW21 said:

One thing I keep coming back to is how wrong these experts have been with us all off-season: We’re trading for Stafford, we’re trading for Wentz, we’re trading for Darnold, we’re trading for Bridgewater, we aren’t moving up in the draft. It doesn’t seem as if anyone really has a grip on what we are doing. It’s kind of like @J-ALL-DAY was talking about before. Nobody has been talking about Fields. Kind of makes you wonder.

In fairness, none of the experts said the stafford thing. That was entirely the niner twitterverse. 

The only thing about Wentz I ever heard was that we put in a call (same for Teddy B) and our interest in Darnold has been corroborated by multiple reliable sources I'm pretty sure, we ultimately just didn't match up. So that one seems to have happened.