3rd Overall Pick - Trey Lance vs Justin Fields (with bonus third poll option)

N4L

Which QB?  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Which QB do you want the niners to draft?

• Trey Lance
    • Justin Fields
    • Neither, I would rather shoot N4L in the face with a shotgun by drafting Mac Jones
  2. 2. Should we keep Garoppolo for 2021

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/30/2021 at 01:00 AM

36 minutes ago, Forge said:

Yeah, the early talk is that the QB class is not good next year. I don't hate the class because any of them could take a big step forward, but you're looking at Howell, Slovis, Rattler...Carson Strong maybe? Any of them could take big steps forward, but they are all kind of meh right now. 

The thing is other than Lawrence, the same thing was said about this year's class, last year. No one saw guys like Mac and Wilson emerging.

That's always the easy out for ppl to justify going big in any given year. Truth is you really don't know because guys grow and develop at different stages and that is hard to gauge when that maturation will take place.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 757-NINER said:

The thing with Simms and a host of others spinning the narrative that we didn't move up this high for a "project" and that it has to be Mac because he's the most pro ready of the lot just doesn't jive for me.

Did we not just see Herbert, who most of these pundits ripped apart pre-draft and said was too inaccurate and too inconsistent, have a stellar rookie year??

Not buying it. Most rookies don't walk into a situation like ours where the team around them is ready to win. They mostly go to teams devoid of talent and comptent offensive coaching. That will not be the case here. Fields can absolutely come in and play extremely well. Shanny is smart enough to dumb down the offense enough and cater to his strengths while he gains experience. The defense around him will be top notch. The run game around him will be above average. Hell, he will probably add another element to the run game that make the play-action even more effective. 

Moving to #3 isn't about being SB contenders just for this year. It's about being SB contenders for the next decade. That's what these guys aren't understanding. This is a move to be competitive for the future, not just this year. 

Great post. Say it louder for the people in the back!! 

Just now, 757-NINER said:

The thing is other than Lawrence, the same thing was said about this year's class, last year. No one saw guys like Mac and Wilson emerging.

That's always the easy out for ppl to justify going big in any given year. Truth is you really don't know because guys grow and develop at different stages and that is hard to gauge when that maturation will take place.

Yep. I don't think that future years should impact current year decisions at all. 

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

Yep. I don't think that future years should impact current year decisions at all. 

Honestly, having a year decimated with injuries and winding up with a losing record, picking 12th in the draft put us in this position. Has NOTHING to do with this QB class. We weren't likely to be close enough in compensation to make this move (hopefully) after this year....its really that simple for me.

1 hour ago, N4L said:

Great post. Say it louder for the people in the back!! 

It just really irks me that these supposed football ppl dont see this. 

Like even if it winds up being Mac, being pro-ready/ready to win now won't be the deciding factor imo. 

Some look at all the one-year deals we gave out on defense this year as a sign that we're going all-in this year.

I don't. I see it as a sign we're about to retool the defense and restock the cupboard while we have a QB on a rookie deal. We'll devote draft resources there but we'll also be players in free agency, seeing as we'll have no first rounders the next two years. AND with the cap bound to go back up, sooner rather than later. 

So this notion that all our moves are about making SB run now just doesn't make sense when you really delve deeper into things.

Edited by 757-NINER
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, GW21 said:

Say what you will about the guy, but I kind of love this mentality. 

So he's problem child that doesn't respect authority is what you're telling me? :D:D:D

But no, seriously. That's a good mentality. Especially when you're on the scout team and you're talking to Nick Freaking Saban. 

8 minutes ago, GW21 said:

Say what you will about the guy, but I kind of love this mentality. 

🤩😍

Now THAT is the mentality & attitude a QB should have, starter or scout team. 

I still would have NO problem with him at 3 and I do think someone could have traded up to get him before us or Carolina (12 or 8, respectively). After the trade up? That is no longer possible. 

Wilson, Jones, Fields are my 123 choices for #3. Not likely to change, either. 

The more I think about it, the more Fields goes up, the more Lance goes down. Maybe a 60 / 30 / 10 scenario with Mac pulling up the rear. I thought at first it was for Lance because he was the best mix, made sense to develop him, etc. But man that is risky with that kind of capital going into it. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Forge said:

So he's problem child that doesn't respect authority is what you're telling me? :D:D:D

But no, seriously. That's a good mentality. Especially when you're on the scout team and you're talking to Nick Freaking Saban. 

No doubt. Devonta Smith and Jalen Waddle both said they preferred Mac to Tua as well. I'm still on the Fields train, but the world may not end if we pick Mac. It's kind of like I said previously; Mac could end up being a Matt Ryan type of guy if things went right. If Kyle thinks he can get Matt Ryan type of production out of him, then that'd be a great pick. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Forge said:

The more I think about it, the more Fields goes up, the more Lance goes down. Maybe a 60 / 30 / 10 scenario with Mac pulling up the rear. I thought at first it was for Lance because he was the best mix, made sense to develop him, etc. But man that is risky with that kind of capital going into it. 

Lance is a big risk...but he's got big tools & potential

We didn't attend his pro day....but neither did Papa Shanny for Cutler, a QB who he traded up for 

We're attending Jones pro day tomorrow....but we also attended Mahomes in '17 as a smokescreen

We worked with Justin Fields in the QB collective...but it was 4 years ago and could have gone either way

I go back and forth on this numerous times and its only been 3 days! Another month to go. 

Feels like i'm convinced its one guy at breakfast, another guy at lunch, and a 3rd guy at dinner. Driving me crazy!

3 minutes ago, GW21 said:

No doubt. Devonta Smith and Jalen Waddle both said they preferred Mac to Tua as well. I'm still on the Fields train, but the world may not end if we pick Mac. It's kind of like I said previously; Mac could end up being a Matt Ryan type of guy if things went right. If Kyle thinks he can get Matt Ryan type of production out of him, then that'd be a great pick. 

I mean, he's probably Jimmy / Derek Carr . Just puts you in the same position in 5 years most likely, but if that's what Kyle wants, that's what Kyle wants. And it's not like the door is completely shut on him being something more, but I don't necessarily see if that easily. And I don't think he's more pro ready or safer than the others. He's a quick processor, but 35% of this throws are at or behind the line of scrimmage (Justin fields - 13%) so that probably helps.  54% of his yardage after the catch which is topped only by Tua over the last three years, humorously enough. He just screams scheme quarterback to me. 

It legit just blows my mind to trade that many assets because shanny's gotta get his Matt Schaub lolol (hyperbolic, mostly). But we all know he's capable of it. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Forge said:

I mean, he's probably Jimmy / Derek Carr . Just puts you in the same position in 5 years most likely, but if that's what Kyle wants, that's what Kyle wants. And it's not like the door is completely shut on him being something more, but I don't necessarily see if that easily. And I don't think he's more pro ready or safer than the others. He's a quick processor, but 35% of this throws are at or behind the line of scrimmage (Justin fields - 13%) so that probably helps.  54% of his yardage after the catch which is topped only by Tua over the last three years, humorously enough. He just screams scheme quarterback to me. 

It legit just blows my mind to trade that many assets because shanny's gotta get his Matt Schaub lolol (hyperbolic, mostly). But we all know he's capable of it. 

This is exactly how I feel. If the niners draft him, it feels like the traded 2 1st and a 3rd for a rookie QB contract.

I think Mac is going to be in the top 5-15 QB range with us. Picking a QB in the top 3 we should swing for higher than that. I do think we should have a playoff team most of the time with Mac and we will watch competitive football games for quite a few years.

Good thing I have a month to talk myself into thinking it's a great idea... 

10 minutes ago, Forge said:

That is certainly possible. I hope that isn't what happens and we just take Fields, but as you can see, I've already began the process of trying to talk myself off the ledge. I could see Jones pretty successful and an upgrade over Jimmy, but I can also see similar results. 

• Like 2

Just now, GW21 said:

That is certainly possible. I hope that isn't what happens and we just take Fields, but as you can see, I've already began the process of trying to talk myself off the ledge. I could see Jones pretty successful and an upgrade over Jimmy, but I can also see similar results. 

There's a risk either way for sure. None of these guys are safe and we are watching top 5 QBs wash out at an unprecedented rate currently. Thankfully whomever we draft has Shanny and a good team, which not a lot of those guys have. 

• Like 2