3rd Overall Pick - Trey Lance vs Justin Fields (with bonus third poll option)

N4L

Which QB?  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Which QB do you want the niners to draft?

• Trey Lance
    • Justin Fields
    • Neither, I would rather shoot N4L in the face with a shotgun by drafting Mac Jones
  2. 2. Should we keep Garoppolo for 2021

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/30/2021 at 01:00 AM

These reports don't bother me, but I admit I would like them more if we got specific stuff like we did from Silver. I like that sort of stuff lol. 

The rhetoric BS about Shanahan wanting a QB who doesn't want to play outside the system or doesn't want a QB who will break out of the play and do his own thing is what bothered me the most. 

Anyways, still Fields or Lance lol. A team that is tight lipped on big decisions is all of a sudden tipping their pick and just freely letting information out like this? Nah. 

I was pretty confident the pick was going to be Lance but this Fields slander and how no one is talking about him is making me question that. Doesn't sit right with me. 

4 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

Mac lesh with the fans is going to be short. If he plays this season and looks awful there going to boo him right away. Dude is coming in to a fanbase who's going to hate him. 

I thought about this and I keep going back and forth on whether that's the case or not. I mean, it's not like all the fans are on Twitter, and frankly some people develop some crazy attachments to players once they are on the team. So I honestly don't think it'll be that bad. He will get the media scrutiny though. I think that is unavoidable. He's going to be compared to Fields & Lance his entire career and he will never get out from under that. If he starts slow and one of the others begin their career with a Herbert like flash? That won't be pretty. 

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

These reports don't bother me, but I admit I would like them more if we got specific stuff like we did from Silver. I like that sort of stuff lol. 

The rhetoric BS about Shanahan wanting a QB who doesn't want to play outside the system or doesn't want a QB who will break out of the play and do his own thing is what bothered me the most. 

Anyways, still Fields or Lance lol. A team that is tight lipped on big decisions is all of a sudden tipping their pick and just freely letting information out like this? Nah. 

I was pretty confident the pick was going to be Lance but this Fields slander and how no one is talking about him is making me question that. Doesn't sit right with me. 

I'm glad your still confident mine is all gone. Let's see what Peter King writes this coming week. I'm at the point where I'm expecting Mac. 

2 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

The Silver thing didn't really change much for me. He is saying flat out that it's not reporting, so it doesn't mean much. I'd still favor lance and fields today...not sure that will hold up come tuesday though. 

I don't think its BS that coaches want a guy that can perform inside the system the best over someone that thrives outside of it. Greg Cosell on Maiocco's podcast said something along those lines too that while its nice to have someone that can turn a bad playcall or a broken down play into something if you can't execute the other 90 % to the level of someone else. Coaches call plays both to take advantage of what they see and to set up things for later. If your QB then goes YOLO before he goes through his options and runs for 40 yards you are happy for the gain no doubt but it didn't do what you planned and it might cost you later. 

Also on a different topic what i find so weird is how everyone wants a athlete to make it easier for the O-Line while every single athletic QB takes more sacks than more traditional pocket passers and it the one thing i feel Jones really does way better than the other options. Sure he had a great O-line but the subtle movements and how he changes the angle for a rusher when his guy gets beat is helping that line just as much as them being good. 

• Like 1

The thing is, as J mentioned earlier...it's not really completely unprecedented if they were wrong if only because of the Baker pick a couple of years ago. Dorsey didn't tell a soul and the people just ran with the idea that it was Allen / Darnold until it finally got to the point where Dorsey let the cat out of the bag. 

So what you believe with regards to the 49ers at this moment is really just about whether or not you believe that they have told anyone (including Mike). If they haven't told anyone, and it's basically just Kyle / Lynch / Peters? Then this is alllllllllllll speculation and there's nothing here. Silver is probably the one with the most detailed take. If you believe that they have told others, including Mike, then I think that there is certainly reason to believe the Mac talk. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

The thing is, as J mentioned earlier...it's not really completely unprecedented if they were wrong if only because of the Baker pick a couple of years ago. Dorsey didn't tell a soul and the people just ran with the idea that it was Allen / Darnold until it finally got to the point where Dorsey let the cat out of the bag. 

So what you believe with regards to the 49ers at this moment is really just about whether or not you believe that they have told anyone (including Mike). If they haven't told anyone, and it's basically just Kyle / Lynch / Peters? Then this is alllllllllllll speculation and there's nothing here. Silver is probably the one with the most detailed take. If you believe that they have told others, including Mike, then I think that there is certainly reason to believe the Mac talk. 

On top of that we are picking 3rd not 1st. We don't even have to tell anyone within the origination since we aren't even on the clock. 

1 minute ago, Justone2 said:

Also on a different topic what i find so weird is how everyone wants a athlete to make it easier for the O-Line while every single athletic QB takes more sacks than more traditional pocket passers and it the one thing i feel Jones really does way better than the other options. Sure he had a great O-line but the subtle movements and how he changes the angle for a rusher when his guy gets beat is helping that line just as much as them being good. 

You're not wrong here, and its one of the reasons I have largely avoided this line of conversation because they are such vastly different players that you're never going to get anything to gel. It's 100% a preference thing. The problem is that it's a double edged sword for both parties. Jones will take less sacks than Fields. No doubt. Will he make as many plays in those same situations? No, I don't think so. He may end up being the type that checks down 3 yards on 3rd and 6. Fields is going to make plays but also take some pretty horrendous sacks. Russell Wilson can complain, but he's partly responsible for those sacks he takes. In fact, he often is. But he also makes spectacular plays out of that situation as well. 

4 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

I don't think its BS that coaches want a guy that can perform inside the system the best over someone that thrives outside of it. Greg Cosell on Maiocco's podcast said something along those lines too that while its nice to have someone that can turn a bad playcall or a broken down play into something if you can't execute the other 90 % to the level of someone else. Coaches call plays both to take advantage of what they see and to set up things for later. If your QB then goes YOLO before he goes through his options and runs for 40 yards you are happy for the gain no doubt but it didn't do what you planned and it might cost you later. 

It's not about that. Guys like Maiocco first were saying the Niners are likely looking for a dynamic QB that can beat them in multiple of ways and then later completely flips and says Shanahan doesn't really like QBs like that and he trusts his play calling so much he just wants someone who could do the job. He, and others know exactly what they are doing when they say that type of stuff. 

Just curious, but if you had to rank your top 5-6 QBs, how would you rank them? 

It's not about that. Guys like Maiocco first were saying the Niners are likely looking for a dynamic QB that can beat them in multiple of ways and then later completely flips and says Shanahan doesn't really like QBs like that and he trusts his play calling so much he just wants someone who could do the job. He, and others know exactly what they are doing when they say that type of stuff. 

Just curious, but if you had to rank your top 5-6 QBs, how would you rank them? 

Maiocco said he had spoken to some sources which had him change his mind on Fields.