3rd Overall Pick - Trey Lance vs Justin Fields (with bonus third poll option)

N4L

Which QB?  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Which QB do you want the niners to draft?

• Trey Lance
    • Justin Fields
    • Neither, I would rather shoot N4L in the face with a shotgun by drafting Mac Jones
  2. 2. Should we keep Garoppolo for 2021

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/30/2021 at 01:00 AM

16 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

A team that is tight lipped on big decisions is all of a sudden tipping their pick and just freely letting information out like this? Nah. 

I am starting to believe the narrative that where there is smoke there is fire. I do believe that all of this mac talk is coming from somewhere. I don't think it is being completely fabricated.

So it could go one of two ways:

1) The smoke is a smoke screen - We have fields/lance higher than we have wilson and dont want the jets to change their mind

2) They legitimately like Mac Jones and they want to get the fanbase on board with it/accept it as a possibility

If their plan is #2, they are failing. Everyone is just getting more and more pissed off. At least, I am. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, N4L said:

I am starting to believe the narrative that where there is smoke there is fire. I do believe that all of this mac talk is coming from somewhere. I don't think it is being completely fabricated.

1) The smoke is a smoke screen - We have fields/lance higher than we have wilson and dont want the jets to change their mind

2) They legitimately like Mac Jones and they want to get the fanbase on board with it/accept it as a possibility

If their plan is #2, they are failing. Everyone is just getting more and more pissed off. At least, I am. 

So what happens if Wilson is available?

5 minutes ago, SonsofFenris7 said:

There will be riots and mass chaos in the fandom lol

The twitterverse will explode, but thats because it tends revolve around a number of podcasters who are all vehement that its Fields and will not accept and have never accepted the possibility that it would be Mac. 

I mean, I never expected it to be Mac, but knowing the little I do about Shanny, I could never remove him from the equation. Given the fact that I think he'll probably be marginally okay with Shanny and with this team also helps. So definitely not end of the world for me, personally. The team won't be awful and that will soothe a lot of the fandom.  I may mock this selection for quite some time afterward and may refer to Mac as "McCorkle" or "EP" (Elite Processor) when he struggles and is bad, I expect something like early years Jared Goff with McVay. People forget how good he was in those two years. I think that he'll probably have us in a similar situation in 5 years, but that's 5 years from now. We'll have first round picks then. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 49erurtaza said:

I believe this week on his pod he said that, and that's why he changed his mind on Fields. 

Don't buy that at all. He went with his gut feeling right when the trade was made and then was told Jones and completely flipped. He's trying to cover himself after fans have gotten after him for this.

3 minutes ago, N4L said:

I don't doubt for a second someone is telling these guys this...I know someone is telling them this. You don't just have ALL the national writers/reporters saying the same things. Clearly they are getting this from someone in the organization and maybe from other places. 

I just don't think Shanny DID know for sure who he wanted at the time of the trade. And I don't think he is leaking it out this far out from the draft and I don't think his dad would be doing that either...Unless they want this out.

6 minutes ago, N4L said:

There's no reason to smoke screen. I have never believed that. We are either talking or we are not. If we are not, then this is just speculation run amok. If we are, then it's true. I don't believe that there is any reason for us to be intentionally misleading in this situation. 

6 minutes ago, N4L said:

I definitely think they like Mac Jones. This also makes sense from an eval standpoint. During the season, I'm only aware of Peters personally scouting two players - Wilson and Jones. We were told, right from jump, that we were okay with 3 quarterbacks, two of whom are basically known to be Wilson / TL. 

2 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Don't buy that at all. He went with his gut feeling right when the trade was made and then was told Jones and completely flipped. He's trying to cover himself after fans have gotten after him for this.

I don't doubt for a second someone is telling these guys this...I know someone is telling them this. You don't just have ALL the national writers/reporters saying the same things. Clearly they are getting this from someone in the organization and maybe from other places. 

I just don't think Shanny DID know for sure who he wanted at the time of the trade. And I don't think he is leaking it out this far out from the draft and I don't think his dad would be doing that either...Unless they want this out.

I'm hopefully your right. The draft cant come soon enough, I fully expect this week to get even worse. 

22 minutes ago, Forge said:

You're not wrong here, and its one of the reasons I have largely avoided this line of conversation because they are such vastly different players that you're never going to get anything to gel. It's 100% a preference thing. The problem is that it's a double edged sword for both parties. Jones will take less sacks than Fields. No doubt. Will he make as many plays in those same situations? No, I don't think so. He may end up being the type that checks down 3 yards on 3rd and 6. Fields is going to make plays but also take some pretty horrendous sacks. Russell Wilson can complain, but he's partly responsible for those sacks he takes. In fact, he often is. But he also makes spectacular plays out of that situation as well. 

Yeah its the double edged sword for sure. I always have to laugh when people say the Seahawks haven't invested in the O-line while in reality they have thrown a lot of resources at it and blocking for Wilson is just harder than blocking for a lot of other QB's in the league. Same goes for Mahomes with how far he drops back which puts a lot of strain on his OT's which then causes him to make some of those hero plays(which he no doubt is incredible at but you always have to wonder how sustainable that is).

21 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

It's not about that. Guys like Maiocco first were saying the Niners are likely looking for a dynamic QB that can beat them in multiple of ways and then later completely flips and says Shanahan doesn't really like QBs like that and he trusts his play calling so much he just wants someone who could do the job. He, and others know exactly what they are doing when they say that type of stuff. 

Just curious, but if you had to rank your top 5-6 QBs, how would you rank them? 

I would probably have it:

1. Lawrence(haven't spent much time on him because he is pretty much out of our league so if i had maybe i would have a different order and this is just copying what most will have).

2. Wilson(probably the only guy i would have made the trade we did for if i am honest. The build scares me a bit coupled with his playstyle but i think he would be perfect in our system).

3. Fields(Crazy accuracy but i worry about if he has the processing speed needed to become a high level QB in the NFL. Also don't like him much in the short game with how long his release is. He is smart but how quick does his brain work is basically what it comes down to for me and thats not something we as fans can judge much. Also think he should lead his receivers more sometimes which might be more easy to teach a guy that is this accurate than teach a guy that is not accurate to be accurate)

4. Jones (i love his footwork in the pocket(alltough he can improve his actual feet when throwing) and while he had a ton of talent to work with i think Smith winning the heisman was also partly because of Jones. He can throw guys open and throws(partly because he has to) with way more anticipation than any of the others. Ceiling is more limited because he doesn't have the crazy arm the other have but i think there is still some arm strength to gain with slight tweaks to his motion and gaining some extra core strength.

5. Lance (last QB i would touch in the first and while i love what he did at such a young age from a mental standpoint i just can't look past the actual throwing of the ball at this point. And with the way all practice rules have changed i question if there is enough times to actually fix him. Call me crazy but i think you have to give him every rep and every snap from day one and just name him the starter because he needs the experience and reps).

After that i probably have Davis Mills and Newman i would take if they where there in say the 4th. Don't care much for either Trask(arm is just too weak) or Mond personally.

Edited by Justone2
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

Yeah its the double edged sword for sure. I always have to laugh when people say the Seahawks haven't invested in the O-line while in reality they have thrown a lot of resources at it and blocking for Wilson is just harder than blocking for a lot of other QB's in the league. Same goes for Mahomes with how far he drops back which puts a lot of strain on his OT's which then causes him to make some of those hero plays(which he no doubt is incredible at but you always have to wonder how sustainable that is).

I would probably have it:

1. Lawrence(haven't spent much time on him because he is pretty much out of our league so if i had maybe i would have a different order and this is just copying what most will have).

2. Wilson(probably the only guy i would have made the trade we did for if i am honest. The build scares me a bit coupled with his playstyle but i think he would be perfect in our system).

3. Fields(Crazy accuracy but i worry about if he has the processing speed needed to become a high level QB in the NFL. Also don't like him much in the short game with how long his release is. He is smart but how quick does his brain work is basically what it comes down to for me and thats not something we as fans can judge much. Also think he should lead his receivers more sometimes which might be more easy to teach a guy that is this accurate than teach a guy that is not accurate to be accurate)

4. Jones (i love his footwork in the pocket(alltough he can improve his actual feet when throwing) and while he had a ton of talent to work with i think Smith winning the heisman was also partly because of Jones. He can throw guys open and throws(partly because he has to) with way more anticipation than any of the others. Ceiling is more limited because he doesn't have the crazy arm the other have but i think there is still some arm strength to gain with slight tweaks to his motion and gaining some extra core strength.

5. Lance (last QB i would touch in the first and while i love what he did at such a young age from a mental standpoint i just can't look past the actual throwing of the ball at this point. And with the way all practice rules have changed i question if there is enough times to actually fix him. Call me crazy but i think you have to give him every rep and every snap from day one and just name him the starter because he needs the experience and reps).

After that i probably have Davis Mills and Newman i would take if they where there in say the 4th. Don't care much for either Trask(arm is just too weak) or Mond personally.

4 Jones (The footwork and short accuracy 

Sorry, mean your top 5-6 QBs in the league not in the draft.