3rd Overall Pick - Trey Lance vs Justin Fields (with bonus third poll option)

N4L

Which QB?  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Which QB do you want the niners to draft?

• Trey Lance
    • Justin Fields
    • Neither, I would rather shoot N4L in the face with a shotgun by drafting Mac Jones
  2. 2. Should we keep Garoppolo for 2021

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/30/2021 at 01:00 AM

21 minutes ago, Forge said:

That he was being very specific to basically give us that specific disclosure. Basically that he knows the pick is Mac, he's telling people it's Mac, but has to be careful to break any terms of his contract and stuff like that. 

Man...

3 hours ago, Forge said:

He just put this one up earlier today 

Two things about this video play to my worst fears about Jones. On the first play literally every receiver running a route was open and Jones checked down to the closest receiver. He has a weak arm and so I fear has learned to look short rather than long. And I wonder how much having guys like Smith and Waddle have spoiled him. Receivers aren't going to routinely turn check-downs into 50 yard TDs. Other QBs have other things to learn - maybe getting rid of the ball quicker to the short receiver, but it's possible Jones will need to learn not to pick the shortest route to throw to.

Even worse, because I think it is unfixable, is his throw around the 4 minute mark or so. It was a intermediate throw from one hash to the far sideline. The receiver was wide open but he put so much air under the throw that the d-back recovered to knock it down. In the NFL that might be an int.  I've said several times that Jones is one QB who I think can't "make all the throws". That play was a perfect example of what I mean.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, big9erfan said:

Two things about this video play to my worst fears about Jones. On the first play literally every receiver running a route was open and Jones checked down to the closest receiver

Want to see the really funny snap shot of this? This is hilarious...and yes, it's just one play, but is the epitome of what people are talking about with Mac sometimes and how much heavy lifting he had to do. This is insane: 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

Yeah and i totally agree with that. But my point is we don't know if Fields his weaknesses are because of the offense he was in or because of the fact he might just be slower at processing information(the guy is legit smart but that doesn't mean he is quick thinking). If Jones can execute inside the structure better than Fields he will be more succesfull even though he doesn't run a 4,4 or has the crazy arm.

And offcourse does he take Watson or Allen but when he gets a choice between Kyler Murray and Matt Ryan who does he choose? Or when he gets to pick between Brady and Watson. Fields ain't Allen or Wilson or Watson. Comparing guys coming out to the best in the NFL currently you always pick those that have proven it. 

Nah, it is totally fair to use Watson/Mahomes/Allen etc because this isn't about Fields vs Jones or Lance vs Jones…..It's Maiocco saying dual threats or those QBs who extend plays or at times divert from the called play to make a play on their own isn't a Shanahan QB. He's not scouting Fields or talking specifically about his game, he is making a GENERAL statement. 

And that's just flat out stupid since Shanahan would take those guys mentioned in a heart beat over Jones…. Now, if Lance/Fields can become those types of caliber QBs is a whole another debate. 

2 hours ago, Dr A W Niloc said:

You're criticizing Jones for making a perfect throw?

Are you sure you can't think of two rookie QBs who can't make that throw that quickly?

I know you like stats. So here's something I saw today. You are completely correct about Jones' accuracy on short throws. He hit an amazing 116 out of 117 on throws behind the los. And he hit a really nice 75 out of 90 on throws from zero to 5 yards. So I looked up Fields, who I know you think can't throw short. He was 44 out of 45 on throws behind the los. He was 70 of 85 from zero to 5. In other words, true fact here, Jones missed exactly as many throws as Field on throws behind the los and also from zero to 5 yards.

And before you mention quickly- an amazing 25% of Jones' passes were behind the los. It's a staple of that offensive scheme. So it's likely he has literally thrown hundreds more of those in practice than some other guys. And it's likely it has been the focus of a lot of his coaching. So no surprise that he excels at them AT THIS POINT IN THEIR CAREERS. It doesn't mean other guys can't. It just means they haven't practiced that throw or been coached up on it as much as Jones.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Justone2 said:

1. Mahomes

2. Rodgers

3.  Wilson

4. Brady

5. Allen

6. Watson

Think my top 7 would be something like this but really most can change based on OC and talent around them. I know most of the top ones have the ability to do great work outside of the playcall but i think they also shine inside the structure. But i don't think any of them is as good just because off what they do when it fails. Behind these guys i probably have guys like Ryan, Tannehill, Stafford and Carr rated higher than say a Jackson (mostly because Roman hasn't given a **** about developing him to more of a traditional QB and just cares about running the ball).

So how many of those top 6 would be perceived as perfect for Shannahan's offense in the same way people are talking about Jones being a perfect fit?

Just now, big9erfan said:

So how many of those top 6 would be perceived as perfect for Shannahan's offense in the same way people are talking about Jones being a perfect fit?

It should be all of them honestly. If Shanahan cannot take the most talented QB and make it work, I have overrated him as a coach...

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Nah, it is totally fair to use Watson/Mahomes/Allen etc because this isn't about Fields vs Jones or Lance vs Jones…..It's Maiocco saying dual threats or those QBs who extend plays or at times divert from the called play to make a play on their own isn't a Shanahan QB. He's not scouting Fields or talking specifically about his game, he is making a GENERAL statement. 

And that's just flat out stupid since Shanahan would take those guys mentioned in a heart beat over Jones…. Now, if Lance/Fields can become those types of caliber QBs is a whole another debate. 

I am not talking about Maiocco in any of this i am talking about it doesn't matter how hard a guy can run or how much extra they can do off script if they can't perform on script. The reason Mahomes, Watson and Allen are more succesfull is because of what they can do every play. And yeah i think Shanahan puts way more value on how a QB can do on script(and this can 100% also be planned runs and using their legs to get the most) than he does what happens is a play breaks down or if they like he says have to overcome a playcall. 

Just now, big9erfan said:

I think when you get to the top guys every one of them can fit in Shanahan's offense because it is so versatile and he can adjust to all of those to call more to their strength. The real thing comes when you get into the second/third wave of QB's because thats where the offense around them gets way more important and i think he would take guys like Cousins, Carr and Stafford over say a Lamar Jackson.

36 minutes ago, Forge said:

Crocky lol 😂

"I know people are going to say to me, 'you think you know more than kyle shanahan?'"

"yes, yes I do. If he can't get out of his own way and go get a more talented quarterback, then yes I do feel like I know more than Kyle Shanahan" 

(re: drafting Mac at 3) 

I could have called the plays in the 4th quarter of that SB a few years ago and won a SB for Atlanta! In fact anyone who told his QB to snap the ball with one second left on the clock and then take a knee would have had a good chance of winning that game. But Shanny thrives on showing he's smarter than everyone else. So if they think he's just going to run out the clock and go home with the trophy he's going try to out-think them.