3rd Overall Pick - Trey Lance vs Justin Fields (with bonus third poll option)

N4L

Which QB?  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Which QB do you want the niners to draft?

• Trey Lance
    • Justin Fields
    • Neither, I would rather shoot N4L in the face with a shotgun by drafting Mac Jones
  2. 2. Should we keep Garoppolo for 2021

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/30/2021 at 01:00 AM

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Listening to barrows...

"The star of this offense isn't the qb. It isn't the running back, or receiver. It's shanahan" 

Ffs. I hate that. I've mentioned that several times in the past, bomani talked about it.... Just hate it so much

I read an article a little while back that seriously was suggesting that Shanny's ego wouldn't let him get into the kind of debate about whether it is the coach or the qb that made NE great for so long.  He wants everyone to know that it is him. 

2 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

I read an article a little while back that seriously was suggesting that Shanny's ego wouldn't let him get into the kind of debate about whether it is the coach or the qb that made NE great for so long.  He wants everyone to know that it is him. 

I feel like if he truly thought he could just win with anybody, he'd just trade a 4th for Minshew and call it a day. He'd probably think "His previous team was so inept that when he started, they had the 1st pick. Watch me, I'll make him a SB winner"

Not to mention that we lost so many winnable games due to inept QB play in 2020 

The fact that he's using 3 1st's to select this rookie tells me that he sees star potential

Now, that doesn't mean he won't pick Mac. Just that if he does pick Mac, he sees star potential in him (which we can debate about forever)

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

There was that OSU source a week or so ago who said he heard from an agency that Fields was going to be the pick. 

And 4 out of 4 separate agents told Barrows that they thought Fields would be the pick. I'm sure they have a reason for thinking so 

This is why something weird is happening. Like they are intentionally avoiding bringing his name up and now everything has gone silent.… all while the agents aren't buying it one bit. 

5 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

This is why something weird is happening. Like they are intentionally avoiding bringing his name up and now everything has gone silent.… all while the agents aren't buying it one bit. 

I posted in one of these threads a few days, either here or on the draft forum, about how the media is either Mac or Lance, and you don't hear anything about Fields. I think i said that would rule out Fields but it could also be a heck of a smokescreen 

Then i remembered, i commented on a post about the 49ers QB plans last month. I think i said the Niners likely wouldn't target a rookie QB, but (using the same exact words above) it could also be a heck of a smokescreen....

That 2nd comment was made the morning of the trade lol

I mean, we were all blindsided about the trade. Wouldn't surprise me if we get blindsided again and hear Goodell call out Fields name 

Edited by 49ersfan

34 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

I feel like if he truly thought he could just win with anybody, he'd just trade a 4th for Minshew and call it a day. He'd probably think "His previous team was so inept that when he started, they had the 1st pick. Watch me, I'll make him a SB winner"

Not to mention that we lost so many winnable games due to inept QB play in 2020 

The fact that he's using 3 1st's to select this rookie tells me that he sees star potential

Now, that doesn't mean he won't pick Mac. Just that if he does pick Mac, he sees star potential in him (which we can debate about forever)

Yeah. I don't doubt that he will pick the guy he thinks is best. But I have less faith than others here in his personnel decisions.  I think he gets fixated on his guys and then over-rates them and takes them above where they should be taken because he's desperate to have them. Or he overpays them.  He's done that multiple times already and I fear he's about to risk the teams future by doing it again in a grandiose way. 

If he wants to be thought of in the same category as Bellichik he's going to have to learn to manage the teams draft capital better. Bill never overpaid for personnel. 

Edited by big9erfan

1 hour ago, N4L said:

You are giving Jed waaaaaay too much credit here. Are we seriously hoping that Jed steps in to tell kyle no? LOL 

Jed was beaten down and failing extremely hard in 2017 before he hired Kyle. I think the league viewed Jed in an extremely negative manner prior back then. Forcing out Harbaugh, then hiring tomsula was a very bad look. The roster was bad. I dont think we were an attractive destination for any worthy, experienced coaches. 

Kyle agreed to come here because he was given a 6 year contract and was told that he would have complete and utter control. Kyle still had Washington fresh on his mind and how meddling Dan Snyder was. He also coached under Jimmie Haslam in cleveland. Having complete control of the franchise was what made this destination attractive to him. 

Jed was still paying both tomsula and chip kelly when Kyle was hired. He had a lot of egg on his face and it was probably a humbling experience for him. Imagine having to go to mommy and daddy to explain to them why you need to go to coach #4 in 4 years. Not a good look. 

Jed needed and needs to stay the FFFF out of football decisions of any kind. Period. Not only has he proven to be incompetent, but that was how he was able to hire kyle in the first place. Breaking his word would completely alienate Kyle. You might as well clean house immediately if you do that.

Maybe things would be different if we didnt have John Lynch as our GM. I love lynch, I would run through a wall for that guy, but the lack of experience early on really hurt us. He is still learning on the fly. The results speak for themselves, this is a good roster, but maybe if Kyle would have hired a more experienced GM the power structure might be a little different around here. 

If anyone is going to step up and tell Kyle no, its going to be John Lynch. I havent bought the rumors that John and Kyle disagree about a QB, but Lynch did tell a story about 2017 and how he loved Mahomes. He went to the proday and told Kyle that they had to reconsider their plan. 

Ultimately, I have tried to not let other people's opinions cloud my belief in what I believe to be the most logical and forward thinking result. I keep saying I believe it to be Fields because he makes the most sense to me. The deep accuracy is off the charts and for that reason I think he adds a much needed component to this offense, A DEEP PASSING GAME. I dont understand how you can look at what fields brings, and not see how an elite deep passing game would pair so nicely with our outside run game. It would be so so so dangerous. Theyd call us the slash and dash

I have to believe that John Lynch sees the same thing as me. He is a HOF defensive player. He understands exactly what a QB with fields skills can do to a secondary. If these McCorkle Jones rumors are to be believed, Lynch needs to be the one to put his foot down

IN LYNCH WE TRUST

You're missing my point. 

I'm not saying Jed would have told Shanny no. I'm saying to further sell the point, it had to make sense from all angles. Giving up those picks for a replica of what you already have pretty much, doesn't make much sense on the surface. They still had to get Jed to be on board with the trade up. He still writes the checks so at the end of the day, you would like him to be on board with the move and not totally against it.

Edited by 757-NINER

3 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

I agree I'm actually surprised he responded and it's whatever but I did not expect that from MM. 

It could legitimately be the most reviled pick in niner history given the proliferation of social media. 100% valid to ask and I'd love to know what their response would be

9 minutes ago, Forge said:

It could legitimately be the most reviled pick in niner history given the proliferation of social media. 100% valid to ask and I'd love to know what their response would be

I really hope a similar question is asked I'm really excited to listen on Monday weirdly enough. I wonder if the suggestion pissed of Matt for whatever reason. He seems like the nicest guy in the world. 

Edited by 49erurtaza

1 hour ago, big9erfan said:

Is this a trick question?

I know, right?  Two players with similar completion percentages, one a longer thrower, yet the other has far more yardage.  Gotta be YAC.  And what causes YAC?  Hitting receivers in flight.  So, we go to the tape and, sure enough, we see one guy throwing to stationary targets (or worse, leading the receiver into a waiting defender), the other hitting receivers on the run (i.e. low risk, high reward) toward the end zone.  No dekes, no dipsy-doodles, no stretching to the limits of their catch radius, no OBJ style one-handed grabs, just catch an undroppable ball en route to the house.  WTP?

3 minutes ago, Dr A W Niloc said:

I know, right?  Two players with similar completion percentages, one a longer thrower, yet the other has far more yardage.  Gotta be YAC.  And what causes YAC?  Hitting receivers in flight.  So, we go to the tape and, sure enough, we see one guy throwing to stationary targets (or worse, leading the receiver into a waiting defender), the other hitting receivers on the run (i.e. low risk, high reward) toward the end zone.  No dekes, no dipsy-doodles, no stretching to the limits of their catch radius, no OBJ style one-handed grabs, just catch an undroppable ball en route to the house.  WTP?

#1 overall. How have you not convinced urbz yet?