3rd Overall Pick - Trey Lance vs Justin Fields (with bonus third poll option)

N4L

Which QB?  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Which QB do you want the niners to draft?

• Trey Lance
    • Justin Fields
    • Neither, I would rather shoot N4L in the face with a shotgun by drafting Mac Jones
  2. 2. Should we keep Garoppolo for 2021

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/30/2021 at 01:00 AM

12 hours ago, the-catch said:

Hearing more and more former QBs saying Justin Fields. 

around the 6:40 mark

So many experts know how simple and clear this is. I especially like Carson's take about how Fields is actually a better fit for Shanahan's offense than Jones.

10 minutes ago, Ftn49 said:

I dont do IG or Twitter... clue us in

He just doesn't get it and there's an undertone of things we can't discuss on here is really permeating the topic of discussion, especially in the replies. 

2 hours ago, adamq said:

Aside from one guy having a bad supporting cast and the other having elite talent at every position around him, whats the difference between Mac Jones and Josh Rosen? Looking back, the scouting reports are hilariously similar.. down to 

"former tennis player with exceptional footwork"

"Polished/NFL ready/Day 1 starter"

"Strong play recall, high football IQ"

"Good vision, strong in the pocket"

Etc etc

I actually was pretty high on Josh Rosen. I'm not sue I see Jones as quite as good because Rosen has a stronger arm.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, the-catch said:

I don't get the outrage if Mac is the pick at 3 but not so if Lance is. I get his huge upside but from the bigger picture they both have their own risks and why half the boards seem to have one at 4 and the other at the 5 QB ranking. Personally I think they're both reaches at 3 and both would be there if we wanted to initially trade into the 6-8 range. 

If we hadn't traded up I believe the consensus would still be Fields 3, Lance 5 to 10 (unless some team got desperate enough to move up to take him sooner), and Jones in the 10-20 range. Those seem like appropriate spots for those guys.

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Lance can be an mvp. Mac Jones will likely never be better than the worst qb in the division as it stands to me

That being said, anyone should readily admit that Lance is a scary projection.

It's two things you shouldn't be gunning for in the top 3: limited ceiling or raw. But if I have to pick one of those, I'll take the ceiling given I don't think Mac is safe in the least

Interesting question would be where everyone sees the three choices in terms of absolute low floor and absolute high ceiling. Jones has highest floor but lowest ceiling. Is that what we want or would a team be better shooting for a much higher ceiling with the risk of a lower floor? 

2 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

Interesting question would be where everyone sees the three choices in terms of absolute low floor and absolute high ceiling. Jones has highest floor but lowest ceiling. Is that what we want or would a team be better shooting for a much higher ceiling with the risk of a lower floor? 

I do not believe that Jones' floor is any higher than the others. I don't think he's Josh Rosen, but can anyone convince me he couldn't be as @adamq said? Don't think so. 

27 minutes ago, Forge said:

It is hilarious to hear him say that while Ben simultaneously says if we don't take him 3, he doesn't go top ten. 

He likely won't go in the top 10 if we don't take him. Again though, that's another argument. And that's something as fans we can complain about. But Silver is throwing out stuff where the team doesn't see Jones as just a QB that can run the system and won't try to do more than he is capable of doing. IF Silver got correct information and it isn't a smokescreen, they clearly believe Jones is more than that and he really can be a top level QB.

Still though, it is Fields or Lance lol.

Just pay attention tomorrow and Monday. One major draft guy or reporter will say they now think it is _____ and then it catches on to everyone else. This is playing out just like the Browns/Mayfield situation back in 2018. Dorsey was being super secretive and I believe the same is true with Shanny/Lynch right now. 

Went back and looked at some of Jimmy's highlights just to remind myself of what he can do. I kind of surprised myself by noticing how many naked bootlegs and roll outs we run. Sure those are designed as pass plays but how nice would it be to have a QB who could beat a LB protecting against the run and then run away from dbs trying to get the angle on him?

20 minutes ago, Forge said:

He just doesn't get it and there's an undertone of things we can't discuss on here is really permeating the topic of discussion, especially in the replies. 

Oh, yeah, that stuff is going to be everywhere. On another board I was arguing against the Mac pick and it went in the other direction funnily enough.