Jump to content

3rd Overall Pick - Trey Lance vs Justin Fields (with bonus third poll option)


Which QB?  

90 members have voted

  1. 1. Which QB do you want the niners to draft?

    • Trey Lance
      13
    • Justin Fields
      48
    • Neither, I would rather shoot N4L in the face with a shotgun by drafting Mac Jones
      29
  2. 2. Should we keep Garoppolo for 2021

    • Yes
      62
    • No
      26

This poll is closed to new votes

  • Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/30/2021 at 01:00 AM

Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, Ronnie's Pinky said:

Can somebody tell me what is the actual argument for Trey Lance over Justin Fields? As far as I can tell, they have very similar tools and upside, only Fields is considerably more accurate and experienced.

He definitely plays faster. More advanced at his age now then fields or Mac was. Basically runs an nfl offense as it is. Fields and Mac do similar things at times, but probably not with the same frequency (line protections, for example). This probably makes him a little more prepared pre snap, imo, but that's very subjective. He's got kill options, run/pass choice options and things like that. I do not know if Jones or fields have that level of autonomy. I've seen both alter protections, but that's it.

Better against pressure with a similar skill set in my opinion, but Lance was almost unfair in that league lol. So that may be skewed, but I think he's faster with recognizing and adjusting. 

However, the accuracy is a legit issue. If you think that gets cleaned up a lot mechanically and you can fix mechanics, then most of his warts are probably growth related, which is a big pro 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Forge said:

However, the accuracy is a legit issue. If you think that gets cleaned up a lot mechanically and you can fix mechanics, then most of his warts are probably growth related. 

As opposed to Mac's, which are clearly beer and pretzel related.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SonsofFenris7 said:

If they draft Mac.. they wasted a ton of draft capital.. If he busts we are set back like the browns 

And if Fields or Lance busts we are thrown back just as much. Do i agree with what we gave up to go up? No because i would have preferred to sit back at 12 and maybe make a small move to just inside the top 10 or see if one of them fell to us. But we have made the trade so no matter who we draft if he busts it will set us back(maybe unless we keep Jimmy around and they look bad enough year one where we keep him and maybe even extend him).

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Justone2 said:

And if Fields or Lance busts we are thrown back just as much. Do i agree with what we gave up to go up? No because i would have preferred to sit back at 12 and maybe make a small move to just inside the top 10 or see if one of them fell to us. But we have made the trade so no matter who we draft if he busts it will set us back(maybe unless we keep Jimmy around and they look bad enough year one where we keep him and maybe even extend him).

I think.. we should have let the draft start and see how the pieces fall then trade up to grab whoever we wanted..

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Forge said:

Get ready for the Mac Attack! 

Interesting nugget about the shanahan love for Mac Jones *not* being hidden

 

According to Ian, sounds like Lance is definitely not the pick... also it is odd that they didn't mention Fields at all.

Edited by adamq
Link to post
Share on other sites

So I'm just thinking about Mac and not where he is drafted or what we gave up but just him as a QB. Is he better then Jimmy right now? If not is better year 2, year 3? What does he do better then Jimmy? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, 49erurtaza said:

So I'm just thinking about Mac and not where he is drafted or what we gave up but just him as a QB. Is he better then Jimmy right now? If not is better year 2, year 3? What does he do better then Jimmy? 

His pocket awareness is light years better. It's not even funny. Jimmy is one of the worst starters in the league in that regard, I think. 

After that, meh.  I think they'd be pretty similar. Jimmy drives the ball better, and is accurate on short and intermediate routes like Mac is. It's a similar offense

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Forge said:

His pocket awareness is light years better. It's not even funny. Jimmy is one of the worst starters in the league in that regard, I think. 

After that, meh.  I think they'd be pretty similar. Jimmy drives the ball better, and is accurate on short and intermediate routes like Mac is. It's a similar offense

 

And if Jimmy could stay healthy he probably still is the QB next year without us trading up for one.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Justone2 said:

And if Jimmy could stay healthy he probably still is the QB next year without us trading up for one.

Agreed

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Forge said:

Lance holds the ball too high. I hate his wind up before delivery. 

I think he showed some inprovement on that in his pro day but big question is what will happen when its not scripted and in an actual game?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The theory that makes the most sense to me right now is that Kyle has Fields and Lawrence ranked 1a/1b, and the team pulled the trigger on the trade-up once they had determined that the Jets are taking Zach Wilson, knowing that they were moving up for Justin Fields. The fact that Saleh just went to the Jets makes it more plausible that the 49ers might have been ahead of other teams in knowing that franchise's intentions. Everyone "knows" it's Wilson to the Jets at this point, but that wasn't so clear at the time of the trade.

Everything since then has been some combination of the NFL media being on tilt, and the 49ers front office intentionally popping smoke. I've heard the question posed: "Why should the 49ers put up a smokescreen at #3? They can pick whoever they want." Strangely, I haven't heard a lot of good answers, though I think there are good reasons to do so. My attempt at a list of reasons for the front office to smokescreen this year:

1) Test for leaks. Similar to Tyrion Lannister as the hand, tell different fairy tales to people you don't fully trust, and find out which of your bollox stories makes it to the media. For a front office said to be allergic to press leaks, this would be a rational tactic.

2) Make the other teams work. By creating an unsettled playing field at #3, the 49ers make it more difficult for the teams below them in the 1st to project player availability, negotiate potential trades, etc.

3) Show the league that they can't read your preferences. There is a simple reputational benefit to smokescreening the league.

4) Throw the Jets off the scent of Justin Fields. If the 49ers trade-up was with Fields in mind, and if they like him more than Wilson, the team would want to hide that preference as much as possible, lest the ever-pliable and empty-headed Jets decide to change their minds and just go with the guy Kyle likes, cause I hear that Shanahan dude's pretty smart.

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

 

The problem is that is the way it's always been done. Grant Cohn of all people is right. If all these guys were saying the pick was fields, nobody would be questioning the reports. 

This does have a weird feeling of bs though 🤣

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...