3rd Overall Pick - Trey Lance vs Justin Fields (with bonus third poll option)

N4L

Which QB?  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Which QB do you want the niners to draft?

• Trey Lance
    • Justin Fields
    • Neither, I would rather shoot N4L in the face with a shotgun by drafting Mac Jones
  2. 2. Should we keep Garoppolo for 2021

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/30/2021 at 01:00 AM

33 minutes ago, SonsofFenris7 said:

If they draft Mac.. they wasted a ton of draft capital.. If he busts we are set back like the browns 

He has a low chance of busting if we select him. Like you can pretty much predict many similar seasons to Jimmy's 2019.

6 minutes ago, Forge said:

The problem is that is the way it's always been done. Grant Cohn of all people is right. If all these guys were saying the pick was fields, nobody would be questioning the reports. 

This does have a weird feeling of bs though 🤣

Agreed less skepticism if Fields is being predicted as the pick. But I still wouldn't totally buy into that. The problem with the Jones talk here is they all were on this right at the time of the trade making it seem like it was a done deal. 

8 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

Javi might be right with Fields but he needs to see Mac is a option. He's not really going into outside of saying no it's Fields.

I'm torn between massive respect for them sticking to their guns and frustration in dealing with people who simply don't accept possibilities 😂

Shanny's offense has faltered in 3 out of 4 seasons due to inferior QB play, all prototypical pocket passers with limited mobility. Its clearly been shown that Shanny can't perform his offense without at least an average QB, but the fact that he traded 3 1st's shows he wants more than average. 

Furthermore, he loses a SB against a mobile QB with a rocket arm. He loses an important MNF game against another mobile QB with a rocket arm, who he gushes over before and after the game 

The one year he had a mobile & healthy QB, his QB won the OROY and they won the division. It was derailed due to injury and infighting. 

After all that....he goes through the evaluation process and has Fields & Lance work with a handpicked QB coach, John Beck, who is presumably reporting directly back to Shanny.

After all this, he decides on Mac Jones?

It simply doesn't make sense...

• Like 3

1 minute ago, 49ersfan said:

Shanny's offense has faltered in 3 out of 4 seasons due to inferior QB play, all prototypical pocket passers with limited mobility. Its clearly been shown that Shanny can't perform his offense without at least an average QB, but the fact that he traded 3 1st's shows he wants more than average. 

Furthermore, he loses a SB against a mobile QB with a rocket arm. He loses an important MNF game against another mobile QB with a rocket arm, who he gushes over before and after the game 

The one year he had a mobile & healthy QB, his QB won the OROY and they won the division. It was derailed due to injury and infighting. 

After all that....he goes through the evaluation process and has Fields & Lance work with a handpicked QB coach, John Beck, who is presumably reporting directly back to Shanny.

That's because it's Fields

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Forge said:

I'm torn between massive respect for them sticking to their guns and frustration in dealing with people who simply don't accept possibilities 😂

Yeah I feel it it just screams not professional and Javi and that whole group are trying to be seen as 49er insiders. They just seem like stubborn fans who have followers.

26 minutes ago, Ronnie's Pinky said:

The theory that makes the most sense to me right now is that Kyle has Fields and Lawrence ranked 1a/1b, and the team pulled the trigger on the trade-up once they had determined that the Jets are taking Zach Wilson, knowing that they were moving up for Justin Fields. The fact that Saleh just went to the Jets makes it more plausible that the 49ers might have been ahead of other teams in knowing that franchise's intentions. Everyone "knows" it's Wilson to the Jets at this point, but that wasn't so clear at the time of the trade.

Everything since then has been some combination of the NFL media being on tilt, and the 49ers front office intentionally popping smoke. I've heard the question posed: "Why should the 49ers put up a smokescreen at #3? They can pick whoever they want." Strangely, I haven't heard a lot of good answers, though I think there are good reasons to do so. My attempt at a list of reasons for the front office to smokescreen this year:

1) Test for leaks. Similar to Tyrion Lannister as the hand, tell different fairy tales to people you don't fully trust, and find out which of your bollox stories makes it to the media. For a front office said to be allergic to press leaks, this would be a rational tactic.

2) Make the other teams work. By creating an unsettled playing field at #3, the 49ers make it more difficult for the teams below them in the 1st to project player availability, negotiate potential trades, etc.

3) Show the league that they can't read your preferences. There is a simple reputational benefit to smokescreening the league.

4) Throw the Jets off the scent of Justin Fields. If the 49ers trade-up was with Fields in mind, and if they like him more than Wilson, the team would want to hide that preference as much as possible, lest the ever-pliable and empty-headed Jets decide to change their minds and just go with the guy Kyle likes, cause I hear that Shanahan dude's pretty smart.

think wilson sports GIF by Wilson Tennis

3 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

Yeah I feel it it just screams not professional and Javi and that whole group are trying to be seen as 49er insiders. They just seem like stubborn fans who have followers.

MMs reply to you got a lot of action lol

1 minute ago, 49ersfan said:

Agreed. While I’m a Jones fan, you lay out why I just don’t think it is him. And if it is, why I don’t think it was a smart trade. If he thinks one of the other two are the next mahomes, the trade makes sense. Unless he truly thinks Mac is Brady II, we gave up too much.

I’m still hoping we have all three ranked pretty much the same, so we drop back a couple spots, pick up future picks and pick at like 6 or something and get a QB and pretty much have our draft picks back. Likely? Not at all. But it’s what I still dream of. 

17 minutes ago, Forge said:

Fields - 66%

Lance - 29%

Mac - 5%

I think I'm going to end up having Fields with the highest percentage soon as well. Hate how I can't just stick with Lance lol. 

So if Fields or Lance are the pick, how will these guys spin it? "Jones was the front-runner but Kyle changed his mind late in the process" lol. 

• Like 1