3rd Overall Pick - Trey Lance vs Justin Fields (with bonus third poll option)

N4L

Which QB?  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Which QB do you want the niners to draft?

• Trey Lance
    • Justin Fields
    • Neither, I would rather shoot N4L in the face with a shotgun by drafting Mac Jones
  2. 2. Should we keep Garoppolo for 2021

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/30/2021 at 01:00 AM

My working theory is that during the trade negotiations, the 49ers thought they were working with Howie and the Eagles to get to six and Miami and Philly were working on a different trade together. By the time they realized that they were actually working with Miami, they were too embarrassed to back out. 

7 minutes ago, Forge said:

Look at @J-ALL-DAY trying to reign everyone back in lol. Much respect. 

Lol, I'm not wavering. I even said most of these guys wouldn't flip and still stick to their guns. I still think someone prominent will turn the tide either today or tomorrow. 

These guys are keeping it close to their vest like the Browns did in 2018. 

My question is if Lynch truly knows or only both Shanahan's lol. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

But Jones is like Cousins, so you SURE he wouldn't take him? Let's be real, neither Watson nor Mahomes are the types of QBs he's had for majority of his career. So maybe it was easy passing on them or even truly evaluating them since they weren't what he was looking for at that time. Jones though? He fits the mold though….. To a tee.

And I don't know if Lynch was just blowing smoke, but he did say the Bears made the right choice with Trubisky as he was their #1 rated QB as well lol. 

I can’t say anything for sure, but it I do recall Shanny saying that he didn’t really invest time in scouting QBs because he knew he wanted to get Cousins. I imagine that would mean Macaroni would have been excluded as well. Who knows though. 

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

My working theory is that during the trade negotiations, the 49ers thought they were working with Howie and the Eagles to get to six and Miami and Philly were working on a different trade together. By the time they realized that they were actually working with Miami, they were too embarrassed to back out. 

Lol, good one but don't buy it. They talked to the Falcons and Bengals as well before deciding to just go all the way up to #3.

Question is does Jimmy get traded during the draft or no? 

20 minutes ago, gridirongorilla said:

This might be a dumb question, so sorry for asking but does anybody think it's at all possible for Mac Jones to have a more productive career long term then Fields or Lance?

Geeks prefer Mac Jones. 

People whose ears bleed when they hear statistics don't.

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Lol, I'm not wavering. I even said most of these guys wouldn't flip and still stick to their guns. I still think someone prominent will turn the tide either today or tomorrow. 

I'm still keeping it at Lance / Fields as well, but I kind of expect to be wrong. As I said in the draft forum, I'm not sure how that happens, but I'm reasonably sure this is the feeling you get when you triple stamp a double stamp 

2 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

If that’s the case we won’t know until Thursday. That can’t come quick enough. 

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

Lol, good one but don't buy it. They talked to the Falcons and Bengals as well before deciding to just go all the way up to #3.

Question is does Jimmy get traded during the draft or no? 

I don't know where Jimmy goes, to be honest. So I'm going to say he sticks around. But my answer could change based on who we take. 

Just now, GW21 said:

I can’t say anything for sure, but it I do recall Shanny saying that he didn’t really invest time in scouting QBs because he knew he wanted to get Cousins. I imagine that would mean Macaroni would have been excluded as well. Who knows though. 

I just think IF Jones is the pick on Thursday night then he may have been the pick in 2017 as well. Again, neither Watson nor Mahomes were his "type" of QBs. 

Of course they were in on Watson this offseason so obviously he is on him now lol. 

Just now, Forge said:

I don't know where Jimmy goes, to be honest. So I'm going to say he sticks around. But my answer could change based on who we take. 

So if Fields or Mac, Jimmy is gone? 

Simms brought up something interesting. What if Jimmy stays healthy and balls and has another deep playoff run? That is totally possible and then it complicates things going forward so it may be better to trade him now to avoid all that. Then he said what you said about Lance that why sit him out another year when he needs as many reps as possible? Let him take his lumps and let him grow that way. 

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

not remotely accurate and last I checked Mac Jones still wasn't going #1 soooo.....

Honestly the posts he makes are best to just read. Laugh and shake your head at how crazy they are and then move on.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, gridirongorilla said:

This might be a dumb question, so sorry for asking but does anybody think it's at all possible for Mac Jones to have a more productive career long term then Fields or Lance? Had to ask

I do, but I know I’m in the like 2% of people that think that. I think Lance will never be good because he’s too inaccurate. Maybe a good coach can fix that.... I’m not a coach but i don’t see an easy fix fixing that. I think fields has the best arm talent but Mac is not far behind. I’m including accuracy and arm strength, with fields clearly having the superior arm strength. I think while both Fields and Lance are supposedly incredibly smart guys, I think Mac processes quicker and remains calm in the pocket where fields does not, at least not as well. Which is why I think Mac will have the better career.

I think if you look at Brady, Montana, Brees, Manning, Mahomes, Young, Elway, Rodgers, Favre, Wilson and whoever else might be in your top 10 over your football watching lifetime, that intelligence, processing, and going to the right place the majority of the time and in the right spot where the receiver is the one who can make the play, is what separates these guys. Yeah, there’s some big arms. There’s some athletic guys. There’s some guys that took more chances than others and had the accuracy to do so. But I’d argue those other traits are the ones that make these guys elite. 

Is Mac in their league as a prospect? I don’t think he’s close. But I think he’s got more of those qualities than the other two. And Shanny must think so or he wouldn’t have leveraged the future on him (assuming he’s the pick).  

• Like 1

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

Simms brought up something interesting. What if Jimmy stays healthy and balls and has another deep playoff run? That is totally possible and then it complicates things going forward so it may be better to trade him now to avoid all that. Then he said what you said about Lance that why sit him out another year when he needs as many reps as possible? Let him take his lumps and let him grow that way. 

Potentially. 

I've never been in a spot where I thought we should 100% trade Jimmy on a lowball offer. His value is at an all time low so I don't think that you're losing much value if you keep him and it doesn't work. I've always felt there was logic in keeping him around, letting him start and show out and get real value for him next year. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

WIth Fields and Mac i probably keep Jimmy at least for TC and if the rookie shows to be ready go with them and hope somewhere a starter gets hurt and they get desperate. WIth Lance i think the single most important thing for him is playing experience and he won't get that outside of preseason as the number 2 and even in practice his snaps would be more limited if you have Jimmy still so i wouldn't mind just throwing him in and seeing if he can float.