3rd Overall Pick - Trey Lance vs Justin Fields (with bonus third poll option)

N4L

Which QB?  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Which QB do you want the niners to draft?

• Trey Lance
    • Justin Fields
    • Neither, I would rather shoot N4L in the face with a shotgun by drafting Mac Jones
  2. 2. Should we keep Garoppolo for 2021

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/30/2021 at 01:00 AM

1 minute ago, straighthate said:

This topics gonna get real ugly if the race stuff comes in here, but the last few posts are way off the mark. No one is saying wow Lance understands the offense with surprise because of his race. It’s because he’s the youngest one, at a small school, and played one game this year. And no one is saying Fields doesn’t process because of his race, it’s because he comes from an offense that lets plays develop so he holds the ball longer and takes more sacks. At least that’s the excuse for him. 

I think he doesn’t process vs Mac is because of the way it looks when Mac hits his back foot and fires where as Fields looks like he’s waiting for the perfect spot to throw. Once again, maybe that’s the offense, but everyone see’s a quicker read and throw from Jones because that’s what it looks like. 

Now these comments may not be directed at me, but the stuff in the previous posts from a few people that’s showing that race is involved in people’s analysis is the same stuff I’m saying as well. So indirectly it is at me. Maybe it’s just possible somebody’s just got a different take than you and values different things at the QB position, and not that people disagree with who you want have their racist blinders on. 

Rant over. 

The posts you are referring are not off. That's what is being said about Lance and how people are surprised at how smart he is....When these posts are made, no one is referring to actual fans or people on this board, but how the media portrays certain characteristics about QBs. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Forge said:

The problem is that for me, mac's football processing is just so overrated. Easily one of the most overrated draft stories I've ever heard. The data supports that when he can't point and click, it doesn't go well

I sometimes feel processing gets brought up to prop up a guy people don't really get how he was as good as he was but there must be something so it must be that. I think for Mac the things that stand out are the pocket awareness and how he hits his receivers in stride. Those are the things that stand out when watching and all the other things on a mental scale its inpossible to judge based on tape unless its really terrible. With Fields i think its more that he sometimes waits too long but why that is is not something you can tell. Is it how he was coached is it just the way the offense plays or is it his throwing motion that makes it seem slower?

2 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Yeah, that's why he will put those nuggets in but doesn't always reflect in his mock draft. I expect the same here with him still sticking with Jones but then adding he is hearing from some that this may be Fields or Lance. 

It just happens far too often though. Then somehow a report came out that Fields is not truly dedicated to the game and doesn't work hard....Um, what? 

And I'm tried of this crap about how smart a QB is since that doesn't mean a damn thing on the field. Fitzpatrick went to Harvard yet he's the most YOLO QB in the league minus maybe Winston....Mullens was SOOO smart and had a full grasp of the offense yet he kept throwing some of the worst INTs you will ever see. That needs to go from now on when talking about QBs. By all means talk about a QB being able to go from one read to another better than everyone else or being able to read a defense better but stop talking about photographic memory or how smart a QB is. 

Oh i fully agree and it happens the most when people can't explain the stats and how well someone plays. Its easy to see why Fields and Lance can be special because they have more athletic traits than Mac but that doesn't make them running QB's or guys that can't do it from a mental or smarts perspective. Its one of those things that will always happen and its just bad scouting. Same goes for most times you see comparisons. 

1 minute ago, John232 said:

This conundrum always reminds me of Jeremy Lin. Dude got labeled right off the bat, went and destroyed every athletic test (iirc) and finished better than John Wall that year, then woop John Wall's *** in summer league and teams still didn't give him a shot until the Knicks basically had too. Then everyone is surprised. The evidence is typically their, it's up to the evaluator to be honest with their own biases and make an honest assessment. 

Yeah it happens all the time and then people are suprised. Just bad scouting based more on perception and what someone that looks a certain way should play compared to what they actually do.

• Like 1

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

The posts you are referring are not off. That's what is being said about Lance and how people are surprised at how smart he is....When these posts are made, no one is referring to actual fans or people on this board, but how the media portrays certain characteristics about QBs. 

When I’m saying the exact same thing, yeah it is off the mark. You’re making assumptions as to why someone thinks it’s surprising that Lance is as “smart” as he is. Did you think about the things I just put in that post? They were three good reasons why it’s surprising that Lance can break down film or read a defense at the line. Your assumption that it’s race related is just as narrow minded as what you’re claiming those analysts are doing. Everything’s not about race. 

I’ll get off the topic and won’t respond anymore so this doesn’t get out of hand, but my advice is leave the politics off the board. If you think an analyst’s racist then go tweet it to them. But once again, you’re calling them that for giving the same reasons I am for why I prefer Mac over the other two. 

When I’m saying the exact same thing, yeah it is off the mark. You’re making assumptions as to why someone thinks it’s surprising that Lance is as “smart” as he is. Did you think about the things I just put in that post? They were three good reasons why it’s surprising that Lance can break down film or read a defense at the line. Your assumption that it’s race related is just as narrow minded as what you’re claiming those analysts are doing. Everything’s not about race. 

I’ll get off the topic and won’t respond anymore so this doesn’t get out of hand, but my advice is leave the politics off the board. If you think an analyst’s racist then go tweet it to them. But once again, you’re calling them that for giving the same reasons I am for why I prefer Mac over the other two. 

No, you jumped into a conversation you really weren't familiar with. We are talking about guys like Crocker who have been vocal lately about the stigmas attached to certain QBs...EVERY SINGLE YEAR. If you believe people are surprised about Lance being smart because he is young and inexperienced? Cool, but this isn't just about Lance. This isn't just about Jones....This is about the broader picture and how these narratives seem to be used when evaluating QBs. 

So you preferring Jones over the other two is perfectly fine..Your analysis of the three QBs is perfectly fine. But.............

3 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

No, you jumped into a conversation you really weren't familiar with. We are talking about guys like Crocker who have been vocal lately about the stigmas attached to certain QBs...EVERY SINGLE YEAR. If you believe people are surprised about Lance being smart because he is young and inexperienced? Cool, but this isn't just about Lance. This isn't just about Jones....This is about the broader picture and how these narratives seem to be used when evaluating QBs. 

So you preferring Jones over the other two is perfectly fine..Your analysis of the three QBs is perfectly fine. But.............

But..... I’m blind to racism?

Or..... Are you just looking for it. 

36 minutes ago, Forge said:

Going to say he sticks with Mac. This would bode well. Though he has often been accurate in reports for us, he misses on his mock just about every year 😂

Googled his past mocks 

2017 - Thomas, also noted the Niners would love to trade down

2018 - Roquan Smith, also noted serious consideration in Denzel Ward & Mike McGlinchey

2019 - Nick Bosa 

2020 - Trade down from 13 to NE who takes Tua. Has us taking Josh Jones with NE's pick. He then has us trading down from 31 to Dallas who takes Cesar Ruiz. 2 notes here - 1, it was known in the Niners org that Staley was retiring. King states that Staley has "1 or 0 years left". 2 - He had us trading down twice, while in reality we traded down once (from 13 to 14) and traded up once (from 31 to 25)

Overall - pretty solid track record in either noting the pick or noting who the Niners could target. 

I'll predict King mocks Mac to us, and then adds a note like "the Niners are intrigued by Lance and he could effect their decision" or something like that

But..... I’m blind to racism?

Or..... Are you just looking for it. 

My man, what are you even doing right now? Who said anything about you being racist or even brought up your analysis here? If you don't understand or agree with what guys like Crocker are complaining about, then that's your right. But no one here was thinking about your analysis when discussing this. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

Googled his past mocks 

2018 - Roquan Smith, also noted serious consideration in Denzel Ward & Mike McGlinchey

2019 - Nick Bosa 

2020 - Trade down from 13 to NE who takes Tua. Has us taking Josh Jones with NE's pick. He then has us trading down from 31 to Dallas who takes Cesar Ruiz. 2 notes here - 1, it was known in the Niners org that Staley was retiring. King states that Staley has "1 or 0 years left". 2 - He had us trading down twice, while in reality we traded down once (from 13 to 14) and traded up once (from 31 to 25)

Overall - pretty solid track record in either noting the pick or noting who the Niners could target. 

I'll predict King mocks Mac to us, and then adds a note like "the Niners are intrigued by Lance and he could effect their decision" or something like that

Yeah, those are the types of nuggets I like to see from him. 

Agreed, expect him to mock us Jones and then add execs around the league think they go in another route with____(insert Fields or Lance).

He said people are especially tight lipped this year, starting with #3. You know he was trying hard to get confirmation of who they were leaning towards lol. 

I sound like a broken record but I just don't think Shanny has told anyone where he is going here and the Jones talks started wayyyy too early in the process. Even those saying Jones are nowhere as confident he is the pick as they are with the Jets taking Wilson. 

@straighthate I think you are misconstruing the conversation. J and I are talking about crocky (and others, including JTO) taking a stand and clapping back at a perceived racial bias in media narratives and stigmas that get attached to certain quarterbacks every year. Nobody was saying anything about what people in here are saying. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

Googled his past mocks 

2019 - Nick Bosa 

If I remember right, he had inside info for a long time for the 49ers..

9 minutes ago, Forge said:

@straighthate I think you are misconstruing the conversation. J and I are talking about crocky (and others, including JTO) taking a stand and clapping back at a perceived racial bias in media narratives and stigmas that get attached to certain quarterbacks every year. Nobody was saying anything about what people in here are saying. 

Totally get that. I’m obviously not making my point well so I’ll drop it for now.

Not that Roquan isn't really good, but man the entire fan base it seemed like was dead set on wanting him…. Instead we wait until round 3 to take Warner and he's arguably the best in the game lol. 

Though it doesn't make me feel good that Kolton Miller went one pick after McGlinchey and is seen as the better player. But I don't think anyone watched him in college and thought he would be elite in pass protection. He's as advertised as a run blocker and leader, but has to at least be average in pass protection to get a second contract here. 

51 minutes ago, John232 said:

On that note, i'm going to have to read the Silver article. Might actually make me feel better if we do end up picking jones. 

It won't. If you read it and close your eyes, you're transported to Josh Rosen's scouting report 😂

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Not that Roquan isn't really good, but man the entire fan base it seemed like was dead set on wanting him…. Instead we wait until round 3 to take Warner and he's arguably the best in the game lol. 

Though it doesn't make me feel good that Kolton Miller went one pick after McGlinchey and is seen as the better player. But I don't think anyone watched him in college and thought he would be elite in pass protection. He's as advertised as a run blocker and leader, but has to at least be average in pass protection to get a second contract here. 

Mcg is exactly what I thought he was. It's almost scary. I thought he was a late first and I wanted minkah there so bad. I actually like edmunds a ton in the l that draft too

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

If I remember right, the Raiders were pissed that we took McGlinchey and they had to settle on Miller. Kind of makes you wish we had lost the coin toss. I do expect MM to be better this year though.