3rd Overall Pick - Trey Lance vs Justin Fields (with bonus third poll option)

N4L

Which QB?  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Which QB do you want the niners to draft?

• Trey Lance
    • Justin Fields
    • Neither, I would rather shoot N4L in the face with a shotgun by drafting Mac Jones
  2. 2. Should we keep Garoppolo for 2021

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/30/2021 at 01:00 AM

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

Mac is Matt Stafford. I swear. In terms of athleticism and movement. Right down to the chubbiness lol

Body, Movement, Athleticism sure. Plays nothing like him though and Mac Jones arm is super meh while Stafford has a Top 5 arm in the league. One of the biggest reasons I think Denver wants nothing to do with Mac is because Denver is historically a club that wants big arm QB’s. 

Just now, BayRaider said:

Body, Movement, Athleticism sure. Plays nothing like him though and Mac Jones arm is super meh while Stafford has a Top 5 arm in the league. One of the biggest reasons I think Denver wants nothing to do with Mac is because Denver is historically a club that wants big arm QB’s. 

Only in the pocket. That's where the similarity ends. But pocket manipulation, movement, athleticism. They are eerily similar. 

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

Mac is Matt Stafford. I swear. In terms of athleticism and movement. Right down to the chubbiness lol

Except one has a rocket arm and the other....Well, doesn't lol.

8 minutes ago, GW21 said:

So here is something interesting, and don’t take this as me wanting to draft Jones, but look up Jones testing numbers in comparison to Herbert. Outside of the size difference and the arm strength their numbers are pretty damn similar; granted all of Jones’ numbers were pro day numbers which are generally a bit more generous.

I haven't seen those numbers but again, kind of hard to ignore the arm strength.

I do remember last year right before the draft there was a rumor that the Niners were going to take Herbert...I forgot where that came from but maybe you are on to something haha. 

2 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Not saying you are wrong, but whats makes you so sure he is obsessed with football and the other top guys aren't? And what was the constant improvement you speak of considering he didn't play at all in his first two years? 

“He’s already a pro,” Sarkisian said. “Prepares like an NFL quarterback, he’s been doing it. Understanding a game plan, which is very intricate in the National Football League, that will never be an issue with this guy. I mean, he’s going to put in the work, he’s going to prepare. He’s going to think like the coordinator and then ultimately he’s going to go execute the calls and the checks—he did it exactly like I would want him to.”

And that’s the part that Sarkisian knows will translate.

“How he gets to that point, I don’t know,” Sarkisian said. “Is he up till three in the morning memorizing, studying? That’s not really my concern. My concern is the next day when he comes in or on Saturdays when the ball’s kicked off. He knows exactly what the game plan is, why we’re doing what we’re doing, the checks that are needed, the issues on every play. If they do this, this could be a problem. The guy, he knew it.

“And it was very comforting for me, calling plays, knowing I had a guy that was thinking like me on the field that I could have real dialogue with on the sidelines on why we were going to go do what we were going to do next based off of what we were getting. And he understood why. And it was easy for him because he had prepared so well.”

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/04/22/gameplan-steve-sarkisian-mac-jones-alabama-nfl-special

"But Mac is an old-school gym rat. We caught him a couple nights in the convention center studying tape after midnight, and the important thing is that carried over onto the field. He got on the field, he knew where to go with the ball and, most importantly, he put it where he needed to put it. I think those are the things that are going to make Mac a really good NFL starting quarterback."

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2940382-nfl-exec-says-alabamas-mac-jones-borderline-genius-when-it-comes-to-football

0:14 - QB Coach David Morris - "His preparation is somewhat fanatic or over the top."

1:00 - Morris - Productive paranoia

5:00 - Finishes the day and watches more tape/white board work 

From a person who attended the Senior Bowl. Podcast from March 11th way before the trade up and really any talk of Mac top 10. Another person on the Podcast later talked about how Mac Jones knew everything they installed and was telling players where to line up 12 hours after he got the playbook. Goes with the quote about him grinding film after midnight while he was there.

- Not saying anything about Lance/Fields. Haven't dug in deep on them

- The constant improvement is going from 3 star recruit to better NFL prospect than Tua and having your WR's without hesitation say they'd take Mac over Tua. 

To me, this is what I think Shanahan envisions with Mac

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Forge said:

Lol lombardi is pushing this too

I'm pushing that as well lol...Let's be real, none of these guys have been on Fields at all going to the Niners. Nothing was going to change there. They have been getting their sources from the same people. 

I think this is probably how it ends up as well.

As for Ian's tweet, are we to believe that Shanny has NOT made a decision yet? What does it mean the focus is down to two? Like by now I do not buy that Shanny doesn't know who he is taking. I believe Fowler's report more here. 

2 minutes ago, adamq said:

Fields is +500 on betmgm, lines haven't changed on the other books I've checked

Lance down to +175. Damn shower, man 😂

That being said, at least I got the hedge in, so no money lost of he's the pick

• Like 1