3rd Overall Pick - Trey Lance vs Justin Fields (with bonus third poll option)

N4L

Which QB?  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Which QB do you want the niners to draft?

• Trey Lance
    • Justin Fields
    • Neither, I would rather shoot N4L in the face with a shotgun by drafting Mac Jones
  2. 2. Should we keep Garoppolo for 2021

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/30/2021 at 01:00 AM

1 hour ago, GW21 said:

I got through the first two games. He really does have unbelievable accuracy, especially with the deep throws. I can see the hesitation and the slow processing the people talk about, but I also know that OSU runs weird deep routes that take a long time to develop. His arm is top notch, there's no denying that. 

He's not much of a shifty runner, but he does pick up extra yards with power and determination. Kind of Newton-like. 

I'm going to watch more of this tomorrow. Thanks for sharing this! 

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

Yep, I think so. From the presser a lot of people think fields now

I've been warming up to Fields more and more lately. I think his ceiling is just as high as Lance's and much higher than Jones. I think his floor is much higher than Lance's and about the same as Jones'. You get all of the reward of Lance with less risk and he also seems to be a pretty decent human as well. 

The elite arm talent, accuracy, and arm strength, coupled with the mobility is just too good to pass up.

13 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

I've been warming up to Fields more and more lately. I think his ceiling is just as high as Lance's and much higher than Jones. I think his floor is much higher than Lance's and about the same as Jones'. You get all of the reward of Lance with less risk and he also seems to be a pretty decent human as well. 

The elite arm talent, accuracy, and arm strength, coupled with the mobility is just too good to pass up.

Yup Im buying in that it's Fields. Kyle just seemed excited when Fields name was asked and you cans we he wanted to say more.

32 minutes ago, Forge said:

Yep, I think so. From the presser a lot of people think fields now

What are you seeing? I haven’t seen any of the major NFL news guys change their time yet, but I’ve been busy for the last couple hours watching the Avs. 

30 minutes ago, GW21 said:

What are you seeing? I haven’t seen any of the major NFL news guys change their time yet, but I’ve been busy for the last couple hours watching the Avs. 

Just Twitter stuff from the press conference about how Kyle responded, talked about QBs, etc. I'm just now getting around to watching the press conference. As @49erurtaza said, apparently he was very excited regarding fields type stuff

How generous of Jed. Agreeing to pay the QB he already agreed to pay while also paying a first round pick that he would never not be able to pay. And doing it with mommy and daddys money too! 

Real talk though, the contract structures we gave our this year gave us a an advantage in FA to some degree, and we obviously spent good money on Arizona and that country club in west Virginia, I just thought this was a pretty dumb thing that we had to go ask for/to give credit to ownership for. 

"Breaking news, 49ers agree to pay salaries to their top 53 players"

Like seriously, its an absurd conversation to be having. "hey Jed do you mind paying a player who is already on the roster along with our first round pick??" ¿¿wut??

Maybe its me...but I keep coming back around to the fact that if Shanny really liked Mac, they could have waited and grabbed Trask in the 2nd. Or even traded back and grabbed Trask later in the first. Like they are very eerily similar guys. Mac may be a tad faster at processing but that's really about it. 

This has to be for a guy with athletic upside, able to work from the pocket w/a great arm talent imo. Something you may not find anywhere else in the draft but top of the 1st.

Edited by 757-NINER

1 hour ago, Chrissooner49er said:

And this could be read as obfuscation/smokescreen as well. It still could be anybody! Wilson could be skipped over by the Jets, Jones could be the choice, Lance or Fields! 

Or, the FO just wants another close look at the guy they're possibly hitching their wagon to for the long term. If I was Lynch and I had an opportunity to get a second pro-day with Lance, Fields, and Jones, I'd 100% do it.

10 hours ago, GW21 said:

Niners Nation seems to think Lance or Fields. Rob Lowder as well. Biderman mentioned Lance. 

Haven't seen Maioccos reaction yet.. Not sure if Barrows guessed or not, but his mock released yesterday morning predicted Lance. His articles are paywalled though 

Edited by 49ersfan

21 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

Niners Nation seems to think Lance or Fields. Rob Lowder as well. Biderman mentioned Lance. 

Haven't seen Maioccos reaction yet.. Not sure if Barrows guessed or not, but his mock released yesterday morning predicted Lance. His articles are paywalled though 

I wouldn’t expect all the big names to flip to Fields until he throws. I expect him to throw well today and that will be the excuse for the ‘experts’ to change their predictions.

38 minutes ago, GW21 said:

I wouldn’t expect all the big names to flip to Fields until he throws. I expect him to throw well today and that will be the excuse for the ‘experts’ to change their predictions.

Fields is really good but his arm isn't better than Wilson's or Lance's. Not that arm strength is the end all be all as Fields has plenty good of an arm. But his pro day likely won't be as impressive as those two QBs pro days.