3rd Overall Pick - Trey Lance vs Justin Fields (with bonus third poll option)

N4L

Which QB?  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Which QB do you want the niners to draft?

• Trey Lance
    • Justin Fields
    • Neither, I would rather shoot N4L in the face with a shotgun by drafting Mac Jones
  2. 2. Should we keep Garoppolo for 2021

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/30/2021 at 01:00 AM

1 minute ago, Forge said:

So many people trying to hurt @N4L. Not sure what to make of that

Live look at @N4L when the niners draft snorkle mccorkle

Football Richard Sherman GIF - Football RichardSherman SadFace GIFs

I am getting a custom mccorkle jersey if we draft him. I am here for the mccorkle memes solely 

Alabama Crimson Tide GIF - Alabama CrimsonTide Rtr GIFs

• Like 1

19 hours ago, John232 said:

THE LEGEND IS BACK

I haven’t really studied it, but Fields looks like a good prospect to me.*

But I have to wonder what all the media people who say don’t dare compare him to past OSU QBs (and I 100% agree with premise of not dismissing individuals because past people in same system or school failed) said when Haskins came out and when Cardale Jones came out.  

Did they point out flaws and predict bust?

*I think it is largely pointless to scout QBs as a fan so I never do it seriously.  Fun.  But really hard to point of being absurd.  

Why?  Because you can’t interview them in private.  You don’t have access to private real off record conversations with their coaches.  You didn’t watch them in practice at college day in and day out.  

You don’t really know a guy until you have him on grass in pads in live work with guys at same level in which he will be competing.

That’s true of any position, but x100 with a QB.  You can seriously gauge and translate other positions with educated guesswork and projection.   

Someone lay out evidence (if any) or reasoning (not personal feelings or wants) that says 49ers are taking ‘X’ guy at 3.

Simms (by personal knowledge of man) and Lombardi (by deductive reasoning or process of elimination) argue that it is going to be Jones.  Why are they wrong, if they are?  

No great reason for top 3 to be coy on their picks, but they still are.  Even Jacksonville won’t commit to openly saying who they are picking.     So I guess it will be educated guesses until an announcement is made.   

There is motivation for draft TV ratings to keep picks a secret.  

Edited by dll2000

15 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Someone lay out evidence (if any) or reasoning (not personal feelings or wants) that says 49ers are taking ‘X’ guy at 3.

Simms (by personal knowledge of man) and Lombardi (by deductive reasoning or process of elimination) argue that it is going to be Jones.  Why are they wrong, if they are?  

No great reason for top 3 to be coy on their picks, but they still are.  Even Jacksonville won’t commit to openly saying who they are picking.     So I guess it will be educated guesses until an announcement is made.   

There is motivation for draft TV ratings to keep picks a secret.  

If you notice, almost ALL national reporters and people such as Simms/Lombardi/McShay/etc are thinking it is Jones.

Why are they wrong, if they are? Well, we don't know if they are wrong, do we? Only time will tell.

But let me break down what I think is happening. 

So all offseason the consensus has been the Niners will likely just stand pat and go with Jimmy for one more season unless they can swing a trade for Watson. The best Niners beat writer Matt Maiocco was adamant that he didn't think the team would trade up and give up future compensation for a rookie QB. Fast forward to last Friday and the 49ers shock the NFL world by trading up to #3. It caught EVERYONE by surprise and showed that Shanahan/Lynch kept their cards close to their chest and there were no signs pointing to this trade. This team doesn't leak much of anything now a days and everyone just guesses in what they are doing....Anyways, right when the trade happened, folks like Lombardi tried to get in reach with league sources and they were guessing the trade up was for Mac Jones since he's the exact type of QB that Shanahan wants...Just because he's the type of QB Shanahan has had for majority of his coaching career. But then a day later Lombardi starts to flip flop and thinks the trade was for Lance since the Niners want to keep Jimmy pointing to that being the reason as Lance won't be ready to play in year one. Maiocco on the other hand thought the trade up was for someone athletic like Fields yet a day later he completely switches up and says it is for Jones. So what happened in less than 24 hours after the trade for him to think that way? Well, he likely talked to Simms who comes on his podcast multiple times a year and after hearing what Simms thought the pick is going to be, he switched to Jones. Likewise, many around the league started to guess it is going to be Jones and now it has become essentially a groupthink. But just last week, no one around the league even knew this trade up was coming, so we are to believe that all of a sudden they know who Shanahan wants to draft? 

As for Simms, he admitted that Shanahan was VERY high on Aiyuk and wanted to draft him so he intentionally kept quiet and didn't bring Aiyuk's name up much. Shanahan said in his presser that Simms knows not to ask him any questions because if Shanahan tells him something, then Simms will not be able to talk about it on his show. What does this tell me? Well, it tells me that Shanahan has NOT talked to Simms about who he wants because if he did, then Simms wouldn't be talking about Jones being the pick as much as he has. Another thing, Shanahan laughed off the idea that his prototype QB is the Cousins type saying he laughs when people say that and in the ideal world, the prototype QB would be someone who is the biggest, fastest, strongest and the best passer. Shanahan also was drooling off of Josh Allen's performance against this defense last year and said having a QB that can make all the throws and beat you with their feet is unstoppable. He also has seen Russell Wilson twice a year for four years and saw the greatness of Mahomes in the 4th quarter of the SB. I think he sees where the NFL is heading towards and that's why he wants one of those QBs that can beat you multiple of ways. From the start, I've had Lance as the pick and I'm not changing. To me it is Lance or Fields. Shanahan gets a potential dual threat game wrecker on a rookie deal with a loaded roster. While I will not be SHOCKED if they take Jones, I don't buy none of this groupthink noise. It is clear no one knows anything so it is laughable when you hear reports saying "I am hearing Shanahan loves Jones," take it with a grain of salt. It's all guess work just like what fans are doing. Shanahan isn't spilling the beans to Simms or Kiper or McShay or Maiocco or anyone. 

• Like 11

So I guess Lombardi said Shanahan likes one QB and Lynch likes another QB. Apparently they had that topic on Undisputed.

This is hilarious. THIS is another example of no one knowing a damn thing. You really think Lynch is going to get in the way of this decision or even have a huge opinion? He's not no fool, he knows Shanahan will get the QB he wants. 

I read Lombardi's article today and he now has flip flopped back to Jones saying he is the perfect Shanahan QB. 

These guys are all clueless. And you know it is driving them CRAZY that they can't figure out what Shanahan REALLY wants lol. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

JT kills it here! The second video especially! He's talking to folks like yourself, Mr. Maiocco!

Side note, I know that other people have brought up his channel before, but it really is some quality stuff. I've actually learned quite a bit watching ghim. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

Side note, I know that other people have brought up his channel before, but it really is some quality stuff. I've actually learned quite a bit watching ghim. 

He was ONLY person that said Wilson's processing was not what ppl made it out to be. And having gone back and watched some tape, he's absolutely right. He misses ALOT of simple concepts and progressions.  

Just now, 757-NINER said:

He was ONLY person that said Wilson's processing was not what ppl made it out to be. And having gone back and watched some tape, he's absolutely right. He misses ALOT of simple concepts and progressions.  

And I love Wilson. I was aboard that train long ago after like three games of tape. But he faced next to no pressure. And there's a very real chance that in a bad system with a much rougher line he looks more like bad, struggling Baker Mayfield where he drifts back into way too many snaps and tries to bail backwards left and backwards right too often. Now, the upside is pretty much Patrick Mahomes but not as freaky an athlete. That's some for real upside. And while Wilson does miss reads, he's decisive and anticipatory when he gets it. Fields reads the field about as well, but he likes things to have happened already and tends to be a hitch slower to trigger and has a longer release when he does fire his shot. I mean, if you've got a laser that goes exactly where you tell it (and Fields does), that's fine. But when people are talking about mental processing, I think that's the bit that they are worried about. And I don't really care that that's Fields' preference. He'll take a couple more sacks. He'll throw next to no interceptions unless Jamar Johnson mind games his whole team. Upside - he almost never fumbles and is a giant play machine, so sacks rarely kill his offenses. Again, all this for me feels like Aaron Rodgers. Like, Daniel Jones would fumble the ball all the time trying to do what Fields does, even disregarding that he's less accurate in the short to intermediate areas.

• Like 1

For those questioning Fields' commitment, apparently he went vegan to help him keep his body right. I don't now about you all, but I don't know that I'm committed to anything enough to give up steak. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Totally agree. I almost didn't want to start watching his videos, because let's face it, the Singletary-Martz-JTO experiment was a major turn-off. But I've really enjoyed watching his videos, in these QB-searching times. He's not trying to promote his opinion. He doesn't rank QBs. He just points out what they do well and don't do well, while trying to give as much context as he can. It's a whole lot better than trying to "evaluate" QBs using highlight reels...

34 minutes ago, GW21 said:

For those questioning Fields' commitment, apparently he went vegan to help him keep his body right. I don't now about you all, but I don't know that I'm committed to anything enough to give up steak. 

Cue the Kap comparisons... 

Personally, I came into the college playoffs not believing in Fields. He blew me away with his toughness, his desire and his throwing abilities. Now, did he do that under the spotlight in order to get drafted high, get money, then Jamarcus his way out of the NFL? It's possible... plenty of busts every year. But his efforts last january didn't make it look that way. He played with guts and passion, as far as I can tell.

• Like 1