3rd Overall Pick - Trey Lance vs Justin Fields (with bonus third poll option)

N4L

Which QB?  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Which QB do you want the niners to draft?

• Trey Lance
    • Justin Fields
    • Neither, I would rather shoot N4L in the face with a shotgun by drafting Mac Jones
  2. 2. Should we keep Garoppolo for 2021

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/30/2021 at 01:00 AM

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

Personnel people trying to convince Shanny on which QB to take L-O-L. Like Shanny has even told them who he wants to take. 

Yup I think this guy who I have never heard of is trying to get a following. 

Can someone explain what Lance has that Fields doesn't? Fields is just as fast or faster, has just as strong an arm or stronger, just as accurate or more accurate. He's had lots of games in which he was literally flawless without a single off-target pass. He had good games against Alabama and Clemson, two of the best defenses in the country while Lance was wracking up a single season of good stats against the likes of South Dakoda St, Delaware and UC Davis. This trade was not for the next year, or 2 or 3; It's for the next decade. Why would we gamble the franchise future on a one year wonder playing low level competition when there is a guy with all the same physical attributes who has played well against the best college football has to offer? I know Shanny is arrogant enough to think he knows better, but I don't see any more upside in Lance and see a lot more chance for bust.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, GW21 said:

Classic reverse psychology. Make everyone think you are taking Mac Jones or Trey Lance then boom! Justin Fields out of no where. 

Boom {insert random player} out of no where seems to be our draft strategy. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SoCalNiner said:

Boom {insert random player} out of no where seems to be our draft strategy. 

I was extremely worried this would happen when we ended up drafting Bosa. I’m so glad they didn’t blow that pick. Hopefully that Buckeye magic will work out for us again. It’ll be super interesting if New York goes off script and takes a non-QB. 

2 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

Can someone explain what Lance has that Fields doesn't? Fields is just as fast or faster, has just as strong an arm or stronger, just as accurate or more accurate. He's had lots of games in which he was literally flawless without a single off-target pass. He had good games against Alabama and Clemson, two of the best defenses in the country while Lance was wracking up a single season of good stats against the likes of South Dakoda St, Delaware and UC Davis. This trade was not for the next year, or 2 or 3; It's for the next decade. Why would we gamble the franchise future on a one year wonder playing low level competition when there is a guy with all the same physical attributes who has played well against the best college football has to offer? I know Shanny is arrogant enough to think he knows better, but I don't see any more upside in Lance and see a lot more chance for bust.

I dont know about speed, but I think Lance may have a slightly stronger arm. Regardless, I agree that I see a high 'BUST' chance for Lance. I would take Fields every time over Lance

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

I agree. I never really bought into the narrative that Lance had a much bigger ceiling than Fields. He’s a bit bigger and is two years younger. I think his lack of tape/reps lends to the perception that he has more room to grow. I’m all in on Fields, but I’d much rather have Lance than Jones.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

He definitely has a stronger arm, but far less accurate. 

Probably better against pressure to be honest, or at least more consistently good against it. Throws with better anticipation on his intermediate routes  (less so down the field).   Processes information extremely, extremely well. He's very intelligent. He's running an NFL offense at age 19. That's not to be overlooked. He's managing protections, understanding defenses, consistently full field progressions (he will miss some things from time to time).  He does a lot of things very well and definitely does some things better than Fields. Not a knock on fields so much as giving Lance his due. But he has a long way to go. 

It should be Fields > Lance > Mac in my opinion. Both have some quirky mechanical things though. 

• Like 1

Like I've said...I refuse to believe its Mac until his name is called

IF it does happen, I'll shed a single tear, throw a couple of things then slowly come around to trusting Kyle knows what he needs and will try to be as optimistic as possible.

But then I'll be reminded of us trading up for Beat Hard because CLEARLY that's who Shanny wanted and I'll get nervous and have panic attacks just thinking about what we gave up to draft a guy who only started 14 games in college, sorrounded by a college All-Star team, who never dealt with any kind of real pressure or adverse situations as a QB and then pass out from cursing and punching the air profusely.

• Like 1

I'm trying really hard not to engage on 49ers twitter, but look at @Forgebringing it in here and ruining my weekend. 

Like @757-NINERwon't believe it until I see it. Literally defies logic to deal that many picks to go up and grab someone whose median projection is Jimmy G..just to save some money in the short term? You're looking at a lateral move in the short term with very little top end payout. Makes no sense. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, John232 said:

I'm trying really hard not to engage on 49ers twitter, but look at @Forgebringing it in here and ruining my weekend. 

Like @757-NINERwon't believe it until I see it. Literally defies logic to deal that many picks to go up and grab someone whose median projection is Jimmy G..just to save some money in the short term? You're looking at a lateral move in the short term with very little top end payout. Makes no sense. 

9ers twitter right now seems like a happy place. They all think its going to be Fields. Akash and Javy just doing all they can to push it out there as much as possible and most people believe it. 

The fun comes when Roger gets up there and is like, "From Alabama University, QB McCorkle Jones"