3rd Overall Pick - Trey Lance vs Justin Fields (with bonus third poll option)

N4L

Which QB?  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Which QB do you want the niners to draft?

• Trey Lance
    • Justin Fields
    • Neither, I would rather shoot N4L in the face with a shotgun by drafting Mac Jones
  2. 2. Should we keep Garoppolo for 2021

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/30/2021 at 01:00 AM

Just now, Justone2 said:

More suprised they found 60 times he went to his second read.

I'm actually not. I watched a ton of his throws from 2020 and there were several times where he went to his 2nd or 3rd read, especially in the game against Clemson. His progression abilities were pretty misstated from the beginning and are just now starting to be rectified. 

I've become a much bigger Fields fan once I really started watching him play. My biggest problem with him is his long throwing motion. It's not quite Leftwich bad, but it's long. It's the opposite of Jimmy. It's also not something that would prevent me from selecting him. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, NinerNation21 said:

I'm actually not. I watched a ton of his throws from 2020 and there were several times where he went to his 2nd or 3rd read, especially in the game against Clemson. His progression abilities were pretty misstated from the beginning and are just now starting to be rectified. 

I've become a much bigger Fields fan once I really started watching him play. My biggest problem with him is his long throwing motion. It's not quite Leftwich bad, but it's long. It's the opposite of Jimmy. It's also not something that would prevent me from selecting him. 

Oh i am mostly kidding but he has a tendency to stay on his first target for a little too long for my liking and while that is a big part of the OSU offense with long developing routes and options a bit more anticipation would be nice. He doesn't miss a ton of throws because he has good enough arm strength to make up for it but it is something that really needs to improve for him to succeed in the NFL. 

4 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

Oh i am mostly kidding but he has a tendency to stay on his first target for a little too long for my liking and while that is a big part of the OSU offense with long developing routes and options a bit more anticipation would be nice. He doesn't miss a ton of throws because he has good enough arm strength to make up for it but it is something that really needs to improve for him to succeed in the NFL. 

I get the anticipation knock, but the flip side of that argument could be extremely detrimental to him. Imagine if he did try to anticipate which way his receivers would break, not really knowing what they will actually do and he got it wrong. It would be disastrous. 

When I think of QB's throwing with anticipation, I think of it as the QB knows what route the receiver is running, so they can anticipate when the window will be open based on where the defenders are. Anticipation of the defender and the window, not which way the receiver will run. 

With OSU's weird deep routes, the QB has to anticipate the receiver, the defenders, and the window. That's a lot of moving parts and the defenders and the window all hinge on the receiver making the correct call and the QB reading that seemingly before the receiver makes his break. 

I think his anticipation issues would be cleaned up pretty quickly in Shanny's offense as he schemes targets open using spacing and leverage. Fields would know for a fact what route the receiver will run, so he can take the guessing game out of the receiver's route and focus on anticipating the open window based off of timing and defender movement.  

1 minute ago, NinerNation21 said:

I get the anticipation knock, but the flip side of that argument could be extremely detrimental to him. Imagine if he did try to anticipate which way his receivers would break, not really knowing what they will actually do and he got it wrong. It would be disastrous. 

When I think of QB's throwing with anticipation, I think of it as the QB knows what route the receiver is running, so they can anticipate when the window will be open based on where the defenders are. Anticipation of the defender and the window, not which way the receiver will run. 

With OSU's weird deep routes, the QB has to anticipate the receiver, the defenders, and the window. That's a lot of moving parts and the defenders and the window all hinge on the receiver making the correct call and the QB reading that seemingly before the receiver makes his break. 

I think his anticipation issues would be cleaned up pretty quickly in Shanny's offense as he schemes targets open using spacing and leverage. Fields would know for a fact what route the receiver will run, so he can take the guessing game out of the receiver's route and focus on anticipating the open window based off of timing and defender movement.  

We run a ton of option routes. Its why Shanahan schemes guys open so much because every route and every play has a altered execution based on the coverage and formation of the opposition. But yeah i would be fine with Fields but my main worry is if he has it all above the shoulders to maximize his physical talent he possesses. He is a accurate passer but is more of a see it first execute second. Not just on those long option routes but also on other throws where he waits till the window opens fully before throwing it.

1 minute ago, Justone2 said:

We run a ton of option routes. Its why Shanahan schemes guys open so much because every route and every play has a altered execution based on the coverage and formation of the opposition. But yeah i would be fine with Fields but my main worry is if he has it all above the shoulders to maximize his physical talent he possesses. He is a accurate passer but is more of a see it first execute second. Not just on those long option routes but also on other throws where he waits till the window opens fully before throwing it.

I agree it's still something he needs to clean up. It's just so hard as a fan to tell the difference between him and the offense with these things. 

When I think about the type of guy you trade up 9 spots into the top 3 and give up 2 future 1sts for to shoot your shot, Justin Fields is it. Out of the 3 options that will most likely be there, he's the best blend of potential and floor.

If Fields hits, he's a super star. If he kind of hits but not totally, he's most like a good QB to a potential star.

If Lance hits, he's a super star. If he kind of hits but not totally, he's most like a good QB to a potential star.

If Jones hits, he's a good QB you can win with. If he kind of hits but not totally, he's Andy Dalton. 

• Like 3

I think Fields does seem to stare his target down, but that doesn't mean that target is his first read every time. Maybe he just needs to learn to trust his read more and pull the trigger faster. In the context of Kyle's offense, he'll probably be given one or two very important keys to read, then will know where to throw. And we all know that when Fields knows where to throw, he throws probably the most beautiful ball in this class.

• Like 2

The thing for me is...does anyone believe the Justin Fields is a worse processor than Kaepernick? How about RG3? Jalen Hurts? 

Hurts isn't anywhere near as advanced as a passer as pretty much anyone in the league, but faced with a similar situation, he made Carson Wentz look even worse. Is he good? No. And he's definitely not a good passer lol. But he was very often effective, certainly, and some of the passing traits will continue to progress. Kaepernick made it to a super bowl and even though he was never advanced as a passer, was very effective as an all around QB. Hurts is showing the same thing - he's not a good passer, but because of the legs, he's going to be effective to some degree. Whether its enough to compensate for the passing, I don't know.  

But let's stay with probably the most relevant. 

RG3 was coming out of a ridiculous Baylor offense that certainly had some "fresh" gimmicks. Kyle adjusted his offense to work with college and NFL concepts. With RG3 as a rookie, Washington has the 6th ranked offense by dvoa, passing dvoa, and scoring offnese,  was 3rd in yards per play, and had the highest red zone success rate of Kyle's coaching career. And that was a team who's wide receiver 2 was either Josh Morgan over an overaged Santana Moss. And they had no tight end. 

Are we really worried about the floor with Fields as a passer when looking at something like that with an even better arsenal at our disposal? 

I'm not. That's one of the reasons that the flaws that Fields does have (which I do believe are slightly overstated but not inaccurate) just don't bother me all that much. I see elite talent & ceiling, and I see an offensive genius working with him. I'm just not going to be worried about Fields' floor with that pairing, and that ceiling could be incredible (FTR, not saying that the floor is RG3's 2012 season, but I don't think that it's an unreasonable comparable as to what we could expect. Fields will also need to do a better job of not getting himself bludgeoned) 

Oof, I hope thats not true. They should have had the pick in mind right from jump regardless of who it was. They should have known who they were moving up for. 

I'm going to go out on a limb and say BS to it (I feel like if there really was internal strife about it, we wouldn't know lol), but woof. 

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Oof, I hope thats not true. They should have had the pick in mind right from jump regardless of who it was. They should have known who they were moving up for. 

I'm going to go out on a limb and say BS to it (I feel like if there really was internal strife about it, we wouldn't know lol), but woof. 

Come on, you don't think Shanny knew who he was going to take when they made this decision? And the flaw here is his sources wouldn't be getting anything from Shanny who isn't talking or leaking to anyone. I really do believe that there are people in the organization that have no clue which way the team goes at #3. Shanny/Lynch know how the leaks work and who is likely to leak anything.

They will let every single rumor or report play out until it is time to make their selection. 

15 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Come on, you don't think Shanny knew who he was going to take when they made this decision? And the flaw here is his sources wouldn't be getting anything from Shanny who isn't talking or leaking to anyone. I really do believe that there are people in the organization that have no clue which way the team goes at #3. Shanny/Lynch know how the leaks work and who is likely to leak anything.

They will let every single rumor or report play out until it is time to make their selection. 

That's why I said I call bs. I've been saying since jump that I think they knew. But I can't say for sure. That's just my belief

My guess is that it's Shanny, peters, and Lynch only, but they know

On Sando's article in The Athletic, 3 anonymous execs chimed in on what the Niners could do 

Exec 1 says its between Lance & Jones because Fields hadn't had his pro day yet. Exec 2 says hes heard theyre seriously thinking Jones. Exec 3 says Lance, but could be Fields

Edited by 49ersfan

5 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

On Sando's article in The Athletic, 3 anonymous execs chimed in on what the Niners could do 

Exec 1 says its between Lance & Jones because Fields hadn't had his pro day yet. Exec 2 says hes heard theyre seriously thinking Jones. Exec 3 says Lance, but could be Fields

Sounds about right lol