3rd Overall Pick - Trey Lance vs Justin Fields (with bonus third poll option)

N4L

Which QB?  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Which QB do you want the niners to draft?

• Trey Lance
    • Justin Fields
    • Neither, I would rather shoot N4L in the face with a shotgun by drafting Mac Jones
  2. 2. Should we keep Garoppolo for 2021

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/30/2021 at 01:00 AM

1 hour ago, 49ersfan said:

I do find it interesting that 80% of the media thinks we want Jones based off essentially league gossip, 20% seem to analyze and think we want Lance, and nobody seems to link us to Fields. Like you listen to different podcasts, read articles etc its generally Jones or Lance. 

I think people are basing the Lance reasoning behind the fact we have been emphatically stating that we are keeping Jimmy. So people say "well if you are going to sit a QB for a year, you are going to sit Lance". Which is extremely faulty logic imo. You take the guy you think will be best in the long run, not the guy based on your immediate plan for one season. 

I mean, even that dumb raider fan on the first few pages of that thread tried to make that argument. "If they keep JG, then they will take Lance".  Those two things may happen, but in the opposite order. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, straighthate said:

I may be the only person on this forum who thinks Jones is the best QB out of what will probably be our 3 options. Don’t know why we needed to trade to 3 to get him, but I think he is the top of these three guys. 

Watched every play of Fields. Poor pocket presence and vision. If his eyes are down the field, he does not pick up pressure. Defenses will blitz in his face and he either won’t see the field or the blitz, but he doesn’t see both. Best arm talent out of the three, I just don’t know that presence can be taught. His deep ball is so pretty, so I wanna like him, I just don’t think he’ll ever get it though. Overall accuracy is awesome. 

Lance is so raw it’s just tough to say. Video was tough to watch cuz of poor quality so that made it a little unfair to him. Seemed like he never leads his target. Receivers were wide open when he hit them, but I could have hit them when they’re that open. I’m no coach, so I’ll just say if they go Lance, good for them, they’re seeing something that I just can’t see and wouldn’t know how to coach up. But the talent is there.... as long as they think his flaws are easily fixable. 

Jones has the kind of pocket presence that drives me insane. Pass rush is right there and one step up or to the side and the end flies right by him. Eyes always downfield and moved effortlessly to avoid pressure. Slowest by far but awareness makes him hardest to sack out of the three. Quick release and gets it out right before being hit. Seems like he leads his receiver perfectly. Feel like the YAC yards would increase. Worst arm of the three but his deep ball is accurate, although not as nice as Fields. Great ability to throw off balance and without his feet underneath him. Love his ability to look good in an unclean pocket. Uses the whole field. Effective pump fakes that always seem to create space. 

So in a month when they call Jones’ name I’m going to be giving high fives that we got our QB of the future, and I may be the only one. 

**Also should say, I don’t think he is the next Brady. I think he’s a little better than Jimmy will be, but not a giant improvement. Hoping I’m wrong if we take him, but I see him as just a good starter, maybe a couple pro bowls at best, which probably isn’t worth three first rounders. Maybe 2.....

That's just it.. Even to the guy who wants Mac he's just a slightly better Jimmy G... How is that worth 3 1sts and a 3rd?

Edited by adamq
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, adamq said:

I wouldn't be shocked if New York takes Fields tbh... there is plenty of questionable tape out there on Wilson

He's going to throw lots of interceptions at the start of his career

• Like 2

Just now, adamq said:

Wilson or maybe even Lance.. Jones conditioning and athleticism aren't worthy of a top 5 pick to me

It was obvious from jump that the fields work ethic story was bunk, but if that narrative perpetuated itself, people were going to have that conversation about conditioning at some point. 

Also, good to see you back

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

What he say?

Just mainly what a lot of people on here are saying. He can be insufferable, he and I just happen to agree in this particular instance, so for now we are best friends lol 

On the 49ers Talk podcast, Matt Maiocco and Laura Britt discuss the possibility of the 49ers drafting Zach Wilson and why it wouldn't be shocking to see San Francisco trade up again to No. 1 or 2.

Oh lord, Matt, what are you doing? lolol

• Like 2

22 hours ago, NinerNation21 said:

To the people who say he can't get past his first read:

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47icn62oqc4z5y3ctbr3

For the life of me I can't find it any more,  but I know that I read a few weeks ago that he has the highest adjusted completion percentage (adjusted for length of pass) in several years. Also that although he is criticized as a first read thrower (although lots of videos out there showing that is greatly exaggerated) he has an 80+% completion rate on his first read throws. The way Shanny schemes guys open wouldn't it be nice to have a QB that can hit them almost every time - especially when they are 50 yards downfield?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, straighthate said:

I may be the only person on this forum who thinks Jones is the best QB out of what will probably be our 3 options. Don’t know why we needed to trade to 3 to get him, but I think he is the top of these three guys. 

Watched every play of Fields. Poor pocket presence and vision. If his eyes are down the field, he does not pick up pressure. Defenses will blitz in his face and he either won’t see the field or the blitz, but he doesn’t see both. Best arm talent out of the three, I just don’t know that presence can be taught. His deep ball is so pretty, so I wanna like him, I just don’t think he’ll ever get it though. Overall accuracy is awesome. 

Lance is so raw it’s just tough to say. Video was tough to watch cuz of poor quality so that made it a little unfair to him. Seemed like he never leads his target. Receivers were wide open when he hit them, but I could have hit them when they’re that open. I’m no coach, so I’ll just say if they go Lance, good for them, they’re seeing something that I just can’t see and wouldn’t know how to coach up. But the talent is there.... as long as they think his flaws are easily fixable. 

Jones has the kind of pocket presence that drives me insane. Pass rush is right there and one step up or to the side and the end flies right by him. Eyes always downfield and moved effortlessly to avoid pressure. Slowest by far but awareness makes him hardest to sack out of the three. Quick release and gets it out right before being hit. Seems like he leads his receiver perfectly. Feel like the YAC yards would increase. Worst arm of the three but his deep ball is accurate, although not as nice as Fields. Great ability to throw off balance and without his feet underneath him. Love his ability to look good in an unclean pocket. Uses the whole field. Effective pump fakes that always seem to create space. 

So in a month when they call Jones’ name I’m going to be giving high fives that we got our QB of the future, and I may be the only one. 

**Also should say, I don’t think he is the next Brady. I think he’s a little better than Jimmy will be, but not a giant improvement. Hoping I’m wrong if we take him, but I see him as just a good starter, maybe a couple pro bowls at best, which probably isn’t worth three first rounders. Maybe 2.....

I agree with your analysis. I said a similar thing about Fields. When he's looking downfield, he doesn't move an inch in the pocket. When he switches his brain to moving in the pocket, the almost guaranteed outcome is him running. I don't know that he can work on that switch, or if the reads downfield can be somewhat simplified to help him out. His stats against pressure are pretty bad. 

And Lance, he looks more mechanical and less natural of a QB, in my opinion. Lance and Fields don't translate easily to the NFL, evaluation wise. But their potentials are hard to ignore. Building an offense around them is more than a little intriguing. I keep hearing about how Lance is impressing everyone with his intelligence and his understanding of Xs and Os, and I put that in the context of learning Kyle's offense, and my mouth waters. I think so much of in-game processing comes from learning off the field, and if Lance is what people say he is, although he starts from further back, he could be ahead of the class in no time. 

Jones... he's less intriguing. We can all easily imagine how he'd fit into the offense, because he's what we've seen in the NFL for 40 years. The question is just how well he'll eventually do it. Is he Drew Brees level? Is he Matt Ryan level? Is he Mayfield level? Is he Cousins level? Is he Jimmy G level? Is he Brian Hoyer level? If we drafted him, I'd be hopeful and I'd expect a high level, because I'm not spending three firsts on a guy and don't hope for the best. But I wouldn't be excited, to say the least.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rudyZ said:

I agree with your analysis. I said a similar thing about Fields. When he's looking downfield, he doesn't move an inch in the pocket. When he switches his brain to moving in the pocket, the almost guaranteed outcome is him running. I don't know that he can work on that switch, or if the reads downfield can be somewhat simplified to help him out. His stats against pressure are pretty bad. 

I agree that pressure is the big concern. Blitzes get to him. Don't agree about not moving or pocket presence and he's a lock to run  though. He moves when he needs to, I think he sometimes gets lost in the movement. Some panic after he's made a break for it within the pocket. But he does like to stand tall, but that's going to be something that endears him to Shanny I think. Shanny wants someone who will stand tall and bury that dagger. 

He is going to benefit from a scheme that handles the protections for him and a vet center in mack (shanny has the center call protections, not qb), so I do think some will be fixable through scheme. Thats one thing. Also OSU doesn't provide a lot of check down options, for example, in the scheme. Hot routes and sight adjustments aren't a thing for osu either from what I can tell. 

He's got to get at picking those things up. I don't see any reason he wouldn't, but you never know

• Like 1