3rd Overall Pick - Trey Lance vs Justin Fields (with bonus third poll option)

N4L

Which QB?  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Which QB do you want the niners to draft?

• Trey Lance
    • Justin Fields
    • Neither, I would rather shoot N4L in the face with a shotgun by drafting Mac Jones
  2. 2. Should we keep Garoppolo for 2021

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/30/2021 at 01:00 AM

Fields throws more to his first read than some other qbs, but:

- as he said on his pro day if his first read is open why would he look for a second or third read, and WIlson and Olave get separation as easily as any wrs out there

- a lot of those criticisms come from people who don't watch Ohio State offensive concepts closely. They often have 2 or even 3 three receivers running routes to the same side of the field, and often picking defenders. Fields looking in one direction might actually be him watching a safety or a LB to see which route they are jumping so he knows which guy to throw to. Might look like a "first read", but he still might be deciding between 2 or 3 receivers.

40 minutes ago, Forge said:

But he does like to stand tall, but that's going to be something that endears him to Shanny I think. Shanny wants someone who will stand tall and bury that dagger. 

He does. But sometimes, I'd love if he stood tall two steps to his left, rather than stand tall at the very spot he caught the snap. Is it possible he's trying too hard to look like a pocket passer? I think he'd benefit from loosening up. But honestly, that's my biggest concern with him. His arm talent honestly makes up for a lot. And you're right, I think he might fare even better in an NFL offense and its protections and talent. 

6 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

Fields throws more to his first read than some other qbs, but:

- as he said on his pro day if his first read is open why would he look for a second or third read, and WIlson and Olave get separation as easily as any wrs out there

- a lot of those criticisms come from people who don't watch Ohio State offensive concepts closely. They often have 2 or even 3 three receivers running routes to the same side of the field, and often picking defenders. Fields looking in one direction might actually be him watching a safety or a LB to see which route they are jumping so he knows which guy to throw to. Might look like a "first read", but he still might be deciding between 2 or 3 receivers.

I'm always off the belief that the first read is pre snap. If he gets the look the OC is looking for, there's nothing wrong going with the primary target. 

Hate to sound weird about it but the biggest turn off for me is that he is a vegan.  I am sure that he will have the best dietitians to help him but to be at the highest level of competition I would not want his body to be handicapped by his diet.  I dont want to go looking up names but that RB from Houston went vegan and then he fell off a cliff, granted he was older and at a more demanding position but I just dont trust a vegan diet to hold up as long in the NFL.

Not trying to start a philosophical debate on what is right and wrong, people can eat what they want, this just directly affects how it will go down the road with the team.  

8 minutes ago, burlow said:

Hate to sound weird about it but the biggest turn off for me is that he is a vegan.  I am sure that he will have the best dietitians to help him but to be at the highest level of competition I would not want his body to be handicapped by his diet.  I dont want to go looking up names but that RB from Houston went vegan and then he fell off a cliff, granted he was older and at a more demanding position but I just dont trust a vegan diet to hold up as long in the NFL.

Not trying to start a philosophical debate on what is right and wrong, people can eat what they want, this just directly affects how it will go down the road with the team.  

No matter if you're vegan or not as long as the person eats a balanced diet they'll be fine. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sherm said:

No matter if you're vegan or not as long as the person eats a balanced diet they'll be fine. 

People say this but it is much more difficult in reality, I am not saying that it cant work but I dont trust it.  He has managed to maintain his body where it is at with his diet so I hope that he knows what he is doing and is controlling it well.  He is gonna be chugging those rice and beans and gonna be farting all over the locker room.

34 minutes ago, burlow said:

Arian foster. He went vegan over the summer before 2012 season, then was no longer vegan by November of 2012 lol. He went on to rush for 1400 yards that year, had another good season two years later and then dried up from age and injuries, which he had dealt with since college. 

There are vegan body builders, athletes, etc. It's not really an issue. Especially since if he decides he wants a burger, he can. 

20 minutes ago, burlow said:

People say this but it is much more difficult in reality, I am not saying that it cant work but I dont trust it.  He has managed to maintain his body where it is at with his diet so I hope that he knows what he is doing and is controlling it well.  He is gonna be chugging those rice and beans and gonna be farting all over the locker room.

You can find plenty of protein in a lot of food that doesn't come from animals. Give me Fields' body eating vegan over Mac & cheese Jones anyday.

If anything it shows his commitment to health and body maintenance

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, adamq said:

You can find plenty of protein in a lot of food that doesn't come from animals. Give me Fields' body eating vegan over Mac & cheese Jones anyday.

If anything it shows his commitment to health and body maintenance

Lol nice.

• Like 1

Just now, adamq said:

You can find plenty of protein in a lot of food that doesn't come from animals. 

Tofu baby. I love it. And you can find all sorts of other good stuff. I eat seitan a couple times a week. My gf and her sister are both vegans so I've gotten used to a lot of the stuff

• Like 1

Ok I'm 3 games in on Fields so far last season. His ball placement is so good. We are use to Jimmy awful ball placement man it's probably my favorite thing about Fields. There is some issues I think will be fixed in the NFL. His sense of pressure needs to improve. He doesn't move enough away from the pressure kind of just stays in the area where it got hiked. He also needs to just learn when a play is dead he holds the ball way to long in the pocket. I do think the talent at WR is super inconsistent so many easy drops. Fields will benefit being in on Kyle's offense and talent around him. Tbh if we draft Fields and trade Jimmy he has probably #1 chance to be rookie of the year. 

3 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

Ok I'm 3 games in on Fields so far last season. His ball placement is so good. We are use to Jimmy awful ball placement man it's probably my favorite thing about Fields. There is some issues I think will be fixed in the NFL. His sense of pressure needs to improve. He doesn't move enough away from the pressure kind of just stays in the area where it got hiked. He also needs to just learn when a play is dead he holds the ball way to long in the pocket. I do think the talent at WR is super inconsistent so many easy drops. Fields will benefit being in on Kyle's offense and talent around him. Tbh if we draft Fields and trade Jimmy he has probably #1 chance to be rookie of the year. 

You do need to watch the Indiana game because that will help create the full picture of his game, including flaws (northwestern game I tend to be more lenient on given OSU was missing 22 players). 

Indiana masks a lot of coverages, does some interesting blitz packages that he really struggles with

18 minutes ago, Forge said:

You do need to watch the Indiana game because that will help create the full picture of his game, including flaws (northwestern game I tend to be more lenient on given OSU was missing 22 players). 

Indiana masks a lot of coverages, does some interesting blitz packages that he really struggles with

Good to known yeah everyone always talks about the northwestern gamem So it's good to know there was 22 players out lol. 

Not sure if this has been posted

Haven't watched it all, but my take away from it/knocks on him is occasionally(not as often as some make it out) locks onto first read and often a split second late.

Brett also comps him to Deshaun Watson, both the good and the bad.

Edited by the-catch
  • Like 1