3rd Overall Pick - Trey Lance vs Justin Fields (with bonus third poll option)

N4L

Which QB?  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Which QB do you want the niners to draft?

• Trey Lance
    • Justin Fields
    • Neither, I would rather shoot N4L in the face with a shotgun by drafting Mac Jones
  2. 2. Should we keep Garoppolo for 2021

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/30/2021 at 01:00 AM

12 minutes ago, Forge said:

Not going to lie.... This is pretty damn exciting. I'm going to be sick of it by the time the draft comes around, but right now I'm just all in lol

Same I've been now only focusing on the QBs it's nice to know what position we will draft in the first.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, the-catch said:

More I think about it the more I think we're looking at Mac considering our history of overpaying to trade up. 

If we were drafting Mccorkle, I don't know if we'd be hearing about it this much either in all seriousness

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, dan77733 said:

Voted -

1. Fields

2. Trade Jimmy G.

I keep Jimmy unless a team offers what I'll want for him next year (assuming a good year of starting).  I've got no problem letting the rookie sit. I want to get back some of those assets

1 minute ago, Forge said:

I keep Jimmy unless a team offers what I'll want for him next year (assuming a good year of starting).  I've got no problem letting the rookie sit. I want to get back some of those assets

I think this is the important part. I wouldn’t just dump Jimmy to dump him. Apparently there is interest out there for him, but it all just depends on what we’re offered and if Jimmy will approve it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, N4L said:

I had a thought about the McCorkle Jones rumors. Here is the order of events:

1) Niners scouting all rookie QBs. Decide to make a switch

2) Niners realize they need to maintain the stance of "we are keeping garoppolo, we dont need to do anything at QB" to retain leverage while trading, and to prevent a QB needy team from jumping them etc etc

3) Consensus says the top 4 QBs are going in the top 7-8 picks

4) We realize we need to trade up into the top 5 to get the guy we want and start the negotiations with those teams. Per schefter we were working on this trade for 3 straight weeks  

5) Trade talks stall, word gets out the niners are trying to trade up, teams try to get us to pay a premium for a QB because they know we are moving on from Garoppolo. The draft is in a month and other teams arent in a rush to make a deal. 

6) Niners leak that Kyle is in love with McCorkle Jones, who will absolutely be available at #12. They do this as a way to gain leverage. Anyone else notice that these "Kyle may like McCorkle Jones" rumors started within the last 3 weeks? Which is coincidentally exactly when we started trying to trade up. Hell, I was even coming around to the idea of drafting him at 12. I was like, "well - not terrible if we really want a QB, at least we will save some $$$ by doing it." It was all about leverage in those talks. 

7) The media mouthpieces and other "sources" have been hearing how much Kyle likes McCorkle for the last few weeks. "The niners make a trade, it must be for the guy they have been telling us they like recently!!!" L O L 

J said in the other thread that the media is flip flopping because none of them have any clue. Even Maiocco has no clue. We all can only make our best guess, but trading up to #3 for the consensus 5th QB one month before the draft makes no freaking sense to me. I get it if you like McCorkle as a player, by all means trade up to get the guy you want, even if he is the consensus 5th QB, pull the trigger if you have him ranked #3... but do it on draft day. Have a little patience and jump up when he is the next QB on the board after the other 4 have been taken.

People keep wanting to bring up the Mahomes trade. The chiefs were realllly patient with that one. He was the third QB taken. They knew he would be the third QB taken, and waited to move up until Watson was taken. They probably would have given up more if they felt Mahomes was going to go higher, but they knew that the entire football world had Watson ahead of him, so they waited, and pounced. 

Its a different set of circumstances, but if McCorkle Jones was the target, then we should have just traded with the eagles on draft day.

A couple of things: who says that Jones is the consensus 5th QB? Is it a bunch of beat writers and draftniks or is it the GMS and HCs around the league? You only need to see the draft every single year to see what a lot of us thought would be gospel is incorrect. Otherwise you wouldn't have threads like "who got under and overdrafted" or "which guys will be busts and who will be sleepers" or "when will Mayock be fired".

The other thing is that coaches very much have a "type", especially when it comes to the QB position. From the QBs that Shanahan has preferred it looks to me like the closest he has in the draft are Wilson and Jones. The main thing that I like about Jones (yes I'm a Jones fan and voted for him) is that he gets the ball out of his hands very quickly and his throws lead the receiver into the ball which gives our players the opportunity to make more YAC. This is probably the #1 skill that Shanahan uses with his playcalling and Jones is probably the best at it in this draft class.

The last thing is what if we waited on draft day to trade with the Eagles at 6 and New England, Carolina and Chicago/Washington all traded up into the top 5 to get their QBs? They've all been pretty aggressive in trying to upgrade their QB room so then you're left with nothing. We're better off getting the trade done early before the price gets really silly and getting the player that we covet.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Forge said:

If Jimmy G is on the roster opening kickoff, I believe that he'll be the one sitting on the bench. You don't make a move like SF did to draft a QB and then have him sit for a year as that would be a total a waste of a year in my opinion. If SF can get a 2nd or 3rd this year for him, he should be traded. Clear the cap space now so Warner can be extended and sign a veteran backup QB. Start the rookie day one.

54 minutes ago, Melbourne 9er said:

The other thing is that coaches very much have a "type", especially when it comes to the QB position.

The only thing is, then mahomes shoved a super bowl trophy in his face (not literally) and Josh Allen treated our top 6 rated defense like a pop warner team. That's why he said what he said after the bills game. 

His job is tied to the success of this qb. If he's worried about the floor I don't know that the answer is necessarily Mccorkle regardless, but Jones has quality NFL traits. He's really going to have to max out above the shoulders in order to prevent this from just replacing Jimmy with younger Jimmy (or Kirk cousins as it were). Not impossible. The guy I think of that did that (eventually) was drew brees and Mccorkle will have his version of payton from jump, but there's a reason you don't typically compare prospects to hall of famers. I think he'll be successful with shanny, but I also wonder if he's a guy you're going to want to give 150 million to on his second contract

• Like 1

Not to make light of the situation, but if Lance and Fields don't get drafted by us and become studs while Jones becomes a competent starter, could you imagine being the guy who passed on mahomes and watson for solly and cousins (who you never got), passed on the 2018 class for Jimmy (this isn't so bad given half have busted, but baker looks fine and Allen currently, temporarily, looks like a stud) and Lance / Fields for Mccorkle. That would be rough 🤣

• Like 1