3rd Overall Pick - Trey Lance vs Justin Fields (with bonus third poll option)

N4L

Which QB?  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Which QB do you want the niners to draft?

• Trey Lance
    • Justin Fields
    • Neither, I would rather shoot N4L in the face with a shotgun by drafting Mac Jones
  2. 2. Should we keep Garoppolo for 2021

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/30/2021 at 01:00 AM

4 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I'm starting to believe the Mac Jones-to-San Francisco suggestion.  Early on in the draft process, Carolina was reportedly in love with Mac Jones and they would take him at 8 if he were still there.  Obviously, San Francisco would need to jump ahead of Carolina in order to select Mac Jones.  Then the talk came out that the NFL community was higher on Mac Jones then the draftnik community.  And then San Francisco traded up to #3, which effectively guaranteed them three of Zach Wilson, Justin Fields, Trey Lance, and Mac Jones.  IF the 49ers truly had multiple QBs graded out similarly, they probably would have made a draft-day deal when the cost probably wasn't so prohibitive.  I think it's likely the 49ers have a pretty strong idea that Trevor Lawrence is going #1 and Zach Wilson is going #1, which means they have their pick of the other 3 QBs.  And today, Carolina effectively takes themselves out of the QB market, which means only Denver as a viable top 10 candidate to move up for a QB.

It's seriously just everyone saying what they think. Shanny hasn't even communicated with any of the staff the order of his evaluations. It's just people referencing people who think the pick is Mac. There's not anything to actually believe at this point

2 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Oh boy oh boy, these dudes better be right on this. I haven't seen anything like this lol. 

Listening to Brian peacock and I had to make sure I wasn't actually listening to myself

11 minutes ago, GW21 said:

giphy.gif?cid=5e214886ur79kj4m0bvpza5t3q

You should listen to the locked on 9er podcast from today. The exasperation from Brian is funny when he starts going over the reasons people are putting Mac to the niners (which has been my biggest complaint). When he talks about tannenbaum (he states lombardi but I think it's tannenbaum) saying "it gives shanahan a chance at his own Schaub and guys he's had success with" peacock about loses it. Totally hilarious. 

I think people should be prepped for Mac just because I could see shanny doing it, but I don't expect it. 

29 minutes ago, Forge said:

This picture makes me laugh. Don't know if that was intentional or not (the padding makes his hips look super wide)

Lol. Looks like the hefty lefty (RIP). 

Why do so many people seem to think that "Shanny's type" of QB is a guy with a sub-par arm and lack of mobility? His dad, whom he appears to still be influenced by, won two SBs with Elway. Kyle got to a SB with Ryan who was not mobile, but had a much stronger arm than Jones. And he got there with Jimmy and lost a game he might have won with a more dynamic QB. I see this a little like the decision KC faced with Smith. They got to the playoffs with Smith but knew they needed more to win it all and drafted Mahomes. Why "settle" for a guy with limited upside, particularly when the game seems to be moving more and more to mobile, athletic types at the position? If the game keeps changing Jones might be a dinosaur in 5 to 10 years.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Forge said:

You should listen to the locked on 9er podcast from today. The exasperation from Brian is funny when he starts going over the reasons people are putting Mac to the niners (which has been my biggest complaint). When he talks about tannenbaum (he states lombardi but I think it's tannenbaum) saying "it gives shanahan a chance at his own Schaub and guys he's had success with" peacock about loses it. Totally hilarious. 

I think people should be prepped for Mac just because I could see shanny doing it, but I don't expect it. 

I'm a die hard 49ers fan...and will be no matter who we pick. But if it's Mac Jones I might completely lose faith in Kyle in terms of his eye for the QB position. He passed on the 2 Fran QB and his backup QB options have been awful. 

Now saying all that I can't see how it's Mac Jones the fact Everyone thinks it's him. Yet none of these same guys called or even sniffed our trade up. 🤔 

I feel the closer we get to the draft it's reminding me of the 2019 draft. Bosa was the obvious choice after we all knew Murray was going 1st...but we had a ton of Q. Williams talk to us. Honestly think Fields is the no brainer choice and hopefully we don't overthink it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, big9erfan said:

Why do so many people seem to think that "Shanny's type" of QB is a guy with a sub-par arm and lack of mobility? 

I think it has a lot to do with the prospects and nothing to do with what any of them do on the field. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, sherm said:

I'm a die hard 49ers fan...and will be no matter who we pick. But if it's Mac Jones I might completely lose faith in Kyle in terms of his eye for the QB position. He passed on the 2 Fran QB and his backup QB options have been awful. 

Now saying all that I can't see how it's Mac Jones the fact Everyone thinks it's him. Yet none of these same guys called or even sniffed our trade up. 🤔 

I feel the closer we get to the draft it's reminding me of the 2019 draft. Bosa was the obvious choice after we all knew Murray was going 1st...but we had a ton of Q. Williams talk to us. Honestly think Fields is the no brainer choice and hopefully we don't overthink it.

I'm 99 percent sure its Lance or Fields but its that one percent that still thinks Kyle could do it and pick Mac Jones.

If so, draft night is gonna suck.....

• Like 1

I will say this, if Jones just ends up being good but not good enough to truly elevate the team and win this team a SB, then Shanny will deserve whatever comes his way in three or so years. We all like Shanny and think he's amazing at what he does, but THIS will be his legacy in SF. Don't just talk about all those dynamic QBs and what they are able to do and then go the safe route at #3. 

So I'm fine with how this ends one way or another. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I will say this, if Jones just ends up being good but not good enough to truly elevate the team and win this team a SB, then Shanny will deserve whatever comes his way in three or so years. We all like Shanny and think he's amazing at what he does, but THIS will be his legacy in SF. Don't just talk about all those dynamic QBs and what they are able to do and then go the safe route at #3. 

So I'm fine with how this ends one way or another. 

Like I said before, he's ostensibly done this three times if he does it. His legacy is passing on mahomes and watson. Passing on Josh Allen and baker mayfield. Passing fields and Lance. All for the same guy. 

And just like I said with Jimmy, Mac is fine. Do I think he's ever going to be a long term top ten qb? Probably not. I think in six years your lamenting the second contract because you need more.

Seems like a guy that will be a solid, above average qb. But shanny wants to play quarterback and so he probably has Jones rated higher than the others. I think it's highly likely we give up that capital for Schaub / cousins / Jimmy, but if that's what he wants more power to him. On the rookie deal, it's promising, at least