3rd Overall Pick - Trey Lance vs Justin Fields (with bonus third poll option)

N4L

Which QB?  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Which QB do you want the niners to draft?

• Trey Lance
    • Justin Fields
    • Neither, I would rather shoot N4L in the face with a shotgun by drafting Mac Jones
  2. 2. Should we keep Garoppolo for 2021

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/30/2021 at 01:00 AM

Just now, Forge said:

Ftr, still not buying it. 95% Lance and fields for me. 

Same but I'm starting to question my logic on it. Idk how I can go 3 more weeks of this stuff. And omg 49er fans are going to freak out if the pick is Mac Jones. I expect twitter to have a full melt down.

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

Like I said before, he's ostensibly done this three times if he does it. His legacy is passing on mahomes and watson. Passing on Josh Allen and baker mayfield. Passing fields and Lance. All for the same guy. 

And just like I said with Jimmy, Mac is fine. Do I think he's ever going to be a long term top ten qb? Probably not. I think in six years your lamenting the second contract because you need more.

Seems like a guy that will be a solid, above average qb. But shanny wants to play quarterback and so he probably has Jones rated higher than the others. I think it's highly likely we give up that capital for Schaub / cousins / Jimmy, but if that's what he wants more power to him. On the rookie deal, it's promising, at least

I don't really count the Allen/Mayfield draft as Jimmy was coming off a strong finish and it was a no-brainier to bring him back. That's fine, but he did pass on Mahomes/Watson to the point he didn't even truly evaluate them. And now he will potentially pass on Fields/Lance. If those two end up being dynamic game changers and Jones is just a good QB, then again, he deserves it all. Shanny wants to go the safe route if he goes with Jones.

I was telling Rams fans earlier this offseason but I think a reason Goff/Jimmy plateaued and didn't take the next step was because of how much control both head coaches want and how they want to completely control the offense. That ends up limiting the growth of a player. With Jones, Shanny will be able to tell him exactly where to go with the ball and Jones will do what Shanny wants him to do. If a play breaks down or they don't get the look they anticipated? Then well, the play is f'd and on to the next down. 

5 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I don't really count the Allen/Mayfield draft as Jimmy was coming off a strong finish and it was a no-brainier to bring him back. That's fine, but he did pass on Mahomes/Watson to the point he didn't even truly evaluate them. And now he will potentially pass on Fields/Lance. If those two end up being dynamic game changers and Jones is just a good QB, then again, he deserves it all. Shanny wants to go the safe route if he goes with Jones.

I was telling Rams fans earlier this offseason but I think a reason Goff/Jimmy plateaued and didn't take the next step was because of how much control both head coaches want and how they want to completely control the offense. That ends up limiting the growth of a player. With Jones, Shanny will be able to tell him exactly where to go with the ball and Jones will do what Shanny wants him to do. If a play breaks down or they don't get the look they anticipated? Then well, the play is f'd and on to the next down. 

They made the trade to get him to start with. We were winless at that point and had our shot at any qb in one of the top qb classes ever in terms of prospects. It counts imo. They made an active choice to bypass the draft, likely without shanny and Lynch evaluating them

2 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

I think at some point I'm probably going to accept the Mac Jones pick before the draft so I'm not disappointed and if it's not Mac then I will be extremely happy. Lol I still don't think it's Mac.

This is what I'm trying to do right now. I can accept Mac the player, the trade up for him is the part I struggle with. Betting so much of the future on a limited QB who might have a ceiling of a top 8-15 QB is a tough pill to swallow. 

They are taking a big swing with the trade. Take a big swing with a QB that has top 5 in the NFL potential...

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

I think at some point I'm probably going to accept the Mac Jones pick before the draft so I'm not disappointed and if it's not Mac then I will be extremely happy. Lol I still don't think it's Mac.

Same thing I said before. Be prepared for it, but it still makes no sense to me on several levels so I don't expect it. The only thing it's supported by is shannys history of doing whatever it takes to get "his guy" and Mac actually being "his guy". Not impossible. That's why I won't rule him out. But the difference between evaluators and nfl teams would be one of the greatest I have ever seen

Just now, Forge said:

They made the trade to get him to start with. We were winless at that point and had our shot at any qb in one of the top qb classes ever in terms of prospects. It counts imo

Meh, I'm fine with not caring about missing out on any of the QBs in 2018. Sure he made the trade, but that was tremendous value and the team would have been stupid to say no to that trade. No one expected Jimmy to come in and win five straight. 

But THIS draft and 2017? Nah, he has top 3 picks in both years and there are potential dynamic QBs this draft and if he passes on them for Jones after what he did in 2017? He essentially has made his bed. I just don't get why in today's NFL with how fast defenses are you wouldn't want a duel threat. Jones will have to be one of the smartest QBs in the game and will have to have Brady-esque IQ to be truly be a top level QB.

And btw, people are saying would Shanny really trade that much compensation to get Jones? Um, have you guys not been watching this man for four years? When it comes to offensive players, he will NEVER risk it and will go overboard making sure he gets his "guy." No one thought Beathard was going in the 3rd round but he just HAD to get him....Traded up for Williams because he was paranoid someone would take him........Traded up for Pettis.........Then traded up against last year for Aiyuk. This is what Shanny does. Screw the value aspect of any trade, if he wants his guy, he's getting his guy flat out.  

LMAO, after it was reported by Maiocco the Niners were going to take CEH at #31, this doesn't surprise me at all. Would have been all time stupid taking him at #12, but this is what Shanny does. So I guess I am okay taking Jones and losing two future first rounders instead of standing put at taking Harris lol. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, XScutterX said:

This is what I'm trying to do right now. I can accept Mac the player, the trade up for him is the part I struggle with. Betting so much of the future on a limited QB who might have a ceiling of a top 8-15 QB is a tough pill to swallow. 

They are taking a big swing with the trade. Take a big swing with a QB that has top 5 in the NFL potential...

Same I just don't get it, I'd rather trade for Sam and give up two 2nds then 3 1s and a 3rd for Mac Jones. 

3 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

And btw, people are saying would Shanny really trade that much compensation to get Jones? Um, have you guys not been watching this man for four years? When it comes to offensive players, he will NEVER risk it and will go overboard making sure he gets his "guy." No one thought Beathard was going in the 3rd round but he just HAD to get him....Traded up for Williams because he was paranoid someone would take him........Traded up for Pettis.........Then traded up against last year for Aiyuk. This is what Shanny does. Screw the value aspect of any trade, if he wants his guy, he's getting his guy flat out.  

Yep. This has been my biggest thing and the only reason I won't remove Mac from the equation. 

If he goes Mac here, it tells me a lot about shanny

It'll be a hilarious revenge for the Jimmy stans on Twitter though lol. That battle is so annoying that I won't involve myself, but it's funny to watch from the sidelines

8 minutes ago, Forge said:

Same thing I said before. Be prepared for it, but it still makes no sense to me on several levels so I don't expect it. The only thing it's supported by is shannys history of doing whatever it takes to get "his guy" and Mac actually being "his guy". Not impossible. That's why I won't rule him out. But the difference between evaluators and nfl teams would be one of the greatest I have ever seen

I'm just hopeful by the week of the draft we start to hear rumors about Fields or even Lance. 

8 minutes ago, Forge said:

Can we appreciate for a moment that before all is said and done, regardless of which qb they pick, if he fails, this regime will have made the two worst picks in 49er history? 

I don't know about all that. We have had some pretty bad ones. AJ Jenkins, Rashaun Woods, Jim Drunkenmiller, Steve Spurrier, are some guys that weren't as bad as Solly and one could argue we got more production out of Rueben Foster in his short time here as well. 

• Like 1